DVDVR Message Board

2023 NCAA Basketball Offseason Thread

RIPPA

Ryan Nembhard is transferring from Creighton. He's expected to land at Gonzaga, where his brother played, or at Arizona, which is headed up by a former Gonzaga assistant. Getting him to Spokane would be a nice win for Gonzaga. 

things not mentioned that I found from searching "April" on the Wikipedia entry for 2022-23 College Basketball season

Kennesaw State hires Alabama assistant Antoine Pettway to replace Amir Abdur-Rahim

NJIT hires Maryland assistant Grant Billmeier

Utah State hires Montana State head coach Danny Sprinkle

Utah Valley promotes assistant head coach Todd Phillips to replace Madsen

Haley & Hanna Cavinder, the social-media influencer twins who helped the Miami Hurricanes' Women's BB team make the Elite 8, are (essentially) retiring from basketball.  

Officially they're forgoing their final year of eligibility and leaving Miami to move on to "the next chapter" of their lives -- where they make a lot of money for doing TikToks and Instagrams and whatever comes next.  

16 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Haley & Hanna Cavinder, the social-media influencer twins who helped the Miami Hurricanes' Women's BB team make the Elite 8, are (essentially) retiring from basketball.  

Officially they're forgoing their final year of eligibility and leaving Miami to move on to "the next chapter" of their lives -- where they make a lot of money for doing TikToks and Instagrams and whatever comes next.  

Interesting.  Last I'd heard one of the two wanted to keep playing.  Good for them, get that cash while you can.  

11 hours ago, Tabe said:

Interesting.  Last I'd heard one of the two wanted to keep playing.  Good for them, get that cash while you can.  

In one of the stories - one of the twins confirmed that they had planned on playing a 5th year but realized they didn't want to do it without their sister

On 4/11/2023 at 2:29 AM, Cobra Commander said:

Coppin State

I had forgotten that it was Juan Dixon who was coaching Coppin State so I was looking up stories about Dixon getting the axe and I nearly choked on my drink as CBS Sports ran with the headline of "'Real Housewives of the Potomac' star Juan Dixon out as Coppin State coach"

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/real-housewives-of-the-potomac-star-juan-dixon-out-as-coppin-state-coach-amid-controversy-per-report/

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Quinnipiac coach Baker Dunleavy resigned today and was immediately replaced by assistant Tom Pecora

Dunleavy left to become the "General Manager of Basketball" at Villanova. Expect many more teams to start doing this as you see what Dunleavy's main job is gonna be

In his new role, Dunleavy will support men's basketball coach Kyle Neptune and women's basketball coach Denise Dillon with name, image and likeness deals, the transfer portal, marketing and fundraising.

3 hours ago, elizium said:

Incarnate Word?

The largest Catholic University in Texas (in the San Antonio area)

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Expect many more teams to start doing this as you see what Dunleavy's main job is gonna be

sounds like that's gonna be a retirement job for some coaches, although they'd likely delegate some of it and mainly handle the fundraising aspect.

On 4/13/2023 at 2:41 PM, RIPPA said:

Dunleavy left to become the "General Manager of Basketball" at Villanova. Expect many more teams to start doing this as you see what Dunleavy's main job is gonna be

I feel like this is a smart idea. I think the NCAA is going to push for men's and women's teams to be treated far more equally going forward and that's going to necessitate somebody overseeing both teams. It's also smart to coordinate the NIL stuff. Not sure it's smart to put a former coach in charge of all that. 

Former Creighton point guard Ryan Nembhard is transferring to Gonzaga

His brother Andrew is currently playing for the Zags

Wyoming center Graham Ike also announced he was transferring to Gonzaga

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Former Creighton point guard Ryan Nembhard is transferring to Gonzaga

His brother Andrew is currently playing for the Zags

Wyoming center Graham Ike also announced he was transferring to Gonzaga

Andrew Nembhard played for Gonzaga but is now in the NBA with Indiana.