DVDVR Message Board

Ring of Honor - 2023

Matt D

12 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Hooooleeee shit I forgot all about that.  What was the deal?

It doesn't matter. The match isn't booked! They did a pretty fun Samoa Joe/ZSJ vs Daniels/Sydal tag though.They can always go back to it later I guess.

• Sad 1

This has to be the worst build to a PPV by any major company in history no? I can’t think of any other that felt like the company putting out the show could not care less if people bought it. In my head a got a flash of some WWE December PPV like 20 something years ago, but I’m not going to go looking. Seriously though, this has really just been crazy. I guess the real question is if their numbers look dramatically different? Maybe it’s some crazy experiment to try and gauge the audience?

1 hour ago, evanknight said:

This has to be the worst build to a PPV by any major company in history no? I can’t think of any other that felt like the company putting out the show could not care less if people bought it. In my head a got a flash of some WWE December PPV like 20 something years ago, but I’m not going to go looking. Seriously though, this has really just been crazy. I guess the real question is if their numbers look dramatically different? Maybe it’s some crazy experiment to try and gauge the audience?

There must a late era WCW show that would apply. 

30 minutes ago, Matt D said:

At this point Page isn’t enough. Just do Claudio vs Omega.

I'd probably buy a show headlined by Claudio vs. Omega.

A tag title defense by the Lucha Bros. would be nice, too. Jay White/Juice Robinson winning the ROH tag titles after losing out on the AEW titles wouldn't be a bad consolation prize. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Matt D said:

At this point Page isn’t enough. Just do Claudio vs Omega.

Kingston could in theory make the 17-hour flight from Sendai, fight Claudio, and then make a 14-hour flight back to Nagano for his match on 7/23

I'm not sure if "you're winning the ROH title in New Jersey" is enough motivation for him to do that, but stranger things have happened

14 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

Kingston could in theory make the 17-hour flight from Sendai, fight Claudio, and then make a 14-hour flight back to Nagano for his match on 7/23

I'm not sure if "you're winning the ROH title in New Jersey" is enough motivation for him to do that, but stranger things have happened

The very best thing about Eddie is that you do kind of sort of believe that “getting to fight Claudio” is actually reason enough for him to do that. 

• Like 2

Tag match announced: 

Lucha Bros vs Best Friends vs Kingdom vs Aussie Open.

It’ll be a cluster but so would have a normal Lucha Bros match. I’m happy with any of the other teams winning. It’s still not much of an attraction but it’s nice Davis is ready to go again and Kingdom deserve to be on the card.

• Like 1

Is it first fall or elimination?  It would be pretty on-brand to have the Lucha Bros lose their first defense of the titles since winning them four months ago without getting pinned. 

Also, in kayfabe, none of these teams should be #1 contender.  Best Friends don't work in ROH.  Aussie Open hasn't teamed in a while due to Davis being out.  Kingdom just had a squash win but they also dropped a loss to the unranked Infantry.

ROH TV = AEW Dark

ROH PPV = PWG (big show with cool matches but no storylines thrown together every few months)

• Like 2

How I think of Honor Club: It's paying a $10 a month storage fee for hundreds of classic ROH show DVD's (and with easier access to boot). The new stuff is just a bonus.

• Like 6

23 hours ago, evanknight said:

Probably thinking of the first WWECW standalone show (December to Dismember 2006). It had an "Extreme Elimination Chamber" with a lot of midcard guys as the main, and not much else in the way of announced matches. They even had to throw in a random Hardys/MNM match unannounced just to make it feel somewhat like a ppv worthy card. The whole thing ended in just over 2 hours.

The wiki entry for this show is a real trip. Highly recommend. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_to_Dismember_(2006)

• Like 1

Kind of glad this ppv has negative buzz, because I've got my hands full just keeping up with AEW and the G1.

And I acknowledge the ROH show will likely be much, much better than any G1 show so far.

• Like 1

Tony confirms he wanted to charter Eddie on a flight back from Japan to work Claudio:

https://411mania.com/wrestling/tony-khan-changing-everything-death-before-dishonor/

“I was hoping maybe even some possibility that Eddie could fly back to participate in Death Before Dishonor and then go back to Japan, and I certainly would have accommodated the travel if that was possible. It wasn’t possible."

I have said very bad things about the viewing experience of HonorClub before. I need to take some of that back right now and admit that it was partially me being a total moron with technology (in this case, and others). By changing settings on my tablet (one F'n click at that) I can now access a proper full-screen mode which makes the viewing experience already about 100% better and if I can get it to work properly on screen mirroring, I can "watch ROH" on TV, which I wanted in the first place. With this issue now at least partially solved, I'm totally keeping the service for now. This still doesn't solve the issue of limited time to watch wrestling in general, but having an access to best years of ROH is still something wonderful to have for a rainy day.

• Like 4