DVDVR Message Board

2023 HORROR THREAD

RIPPA

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

I have M3GAN, Evil Dead Rise and Talk to Me on DVD to watch.

My daughter and I enjoyed all three films and my thoughts / pocket reviews should be in prior pages in this thread.

I've been working my way through Hammer's Frankenstein flicks in chronological order (girlfriend and I did Hammer's Dracula and extraneous vampire efforts last October). Hot take: the widely despised Horror of Frankenstein is a really good flick. Hotter take: Ralph Bates is every bit as good as Peter Cushing in the role, based on this one outing. It's been called a reworking of Curse of Frankenstein, and I can totally see that, but I think it's been short-changed for over 50 years now. As of this viewing I'd put it just slightly ahead of Curse... but behind ...Must Be Destroyed. 

• Like 1

My son let me tag along and watch Five Nights At Freddy's at the movie theater tonight. Really fun movie, even if you don't play the games. He's deep into the lore and fandom, and he said it was more than he'd hoped. Then he started telling me all stuff in the movie that only fans would get, and it blew my mind. It's like the movie was speaking two languages to two different people at the same time.

So if you're looking for something round out the month, it's worth hitting up.

• Like 1

Finally got around to seeing Tumbbad (2018), and it just might be my favourite horror/horror-adjacent film of the past decade. That's considering I've really enjoyed everything Jordan Peele and Ari Aster have done in that period. Reminded me of Pan's Labyrinth, in that its horror is essentially baked into a fairy tale. It's included with Prime - in the UK at least - and well, well worth checking out if you haven't done so already.

• Like 2

I actually saw Tumbbad in the theaters as RVA has a surprisingly high Indian / Pakistani population and quite a few of the theaters in midtown regularly show the latest Hindi-language joints.  I thought it was rather refreshing that a movie came out that simply focused on a cardinal sin like greed without adding needless complexity.

Spoiler

The fucking monster was totally badass, too.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I actually saw Tumbbad in the theaters as RVA has a surprisingly high Indian / Pakistani population and quite a few of the theaters in midtown regularly show the latest Hindi-language joints.  I thought it was rather refreshing that a movie came out that simply focused on a cardinal sin like greed without adding needless complexity.

Reveal hidden contents

The fucking monster was totally badass, too.

I'm guilty of the misconception that pretty much all of Indian cinema is made up of musicals - a genre I generally loathe - so Tumbbad had to get a lot of traction before I took notice. Even then, it's taken me two or three years of good intentions before I finally watched it. Like you said, very simple thematically but a story so richly told, with a nice eye for detail, and beautifully shot. A solid 9/10 film for me

• Like 2

There have been a lot of good horror movies coming out in the past ten years from places you wouldn't normally expect them from like India and Middle Eastern countries like Jordan and Qatar. 

I have been paying more attention to that scene since Under the Shadow, came out in 2018.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

There have been a lot of good horror movies coming out in the past ten years from places you wouldn't normally expect them from like India and Middle Eastern countries like Jordan and Qatar. 

I have been paying more attention to that scene since Under the Shadow, came out in 2018.

Under the Shadow's been on my radar for a while and I'll definitely get around to it at some point. 

A couple of horror films from 'unexpected' nations that I've enjoyed the last couple of years were Baskin (Turkey, 2016) and Saloum (Senegal, 2022) FWIW.

• Like 1

Saloum is fucking awesome and currently available on Shudder.  

If you have a Samsung or Vizio, WatchFree+ just recently added a channel called Scares by Shudder.  So far they are just replaying some of the older films the in the Shudder /  AMC+ OnDemand queue like Host, Atterados, and previous seasons of Creepshow, but I am hopeful they will eventually work Saloum and more recent movies into the schedule.

As for really good Turkish horror movies on the level of Baskin (which is also fucking awesome), I'd recommend the Dabbe franchise (espeecially The Possession and Curse of the Jinn), Semur, and the Siccin franchise.

As you probably noticed, most Turkish horror films are of the supernatural good vs. evil persuasion and are mostly just another avenue for Islamic education, but it is cool to see how the Turkish horror film industry incorporates religion into their content without being terribly heavy handed about it.  It reminds me a lot of how the Indonesian horror film industry works.

It is almost comical how Turkish and Indonesian horror films have just as many tropes as anywhere else.   Any character that is not a totally devout Muslim or is too Western in their thinking and attitude is sure to die horribly or get possessed and become the plaything of evil forces.

Edited by J.T.
  • Thanks 1

I caught Claudio Simonetti's Goblin doing a live score with a screening of Lamberto Bava's DEMONS (1985) and if you are remotely a fan of either that movie or Goblin's classic soundtracks, definitely try to get out to any of the remaining tour dates if they are near you. He has surrounded himself with incredible musicians in this current incarnation of the group, and on top of that, DEMONS is just a great old time to see with a live audience anyway. A couple of interesting live composition substitutions too for the actual heavy metal songs on the soundtrack, including subbing out Accept's "Fast as A Shark" for an incredibly killer live instrumental cover of Iron Maiden's "Flash of the Blade" (a fun easter egg for fans of Dario Argento's PHENOMENA) with keyboards taking the place of Bruce Dickinson's vocals.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

I caught Claudio Simonetti's Goblin doing a live score with a screening of Lamberto Bava's DEMONS (1985) and if you are remotely a fan of either that movie or Goblin's classic soundtracks, definitely try to get out to any of the remaining tour dates if they are near you. He has surrounded himself with incredible musicians in this current incarnation of the group, and on top of that, DEMONS is just a great old time to see with a live audience anyway. A couple of interesting live composition substitutions too for the actual heavy metal songs on the soundtrack, including subbing out Accept's "Fast as A Shark" for an incredibly killer live instrumental cover of Iron Maiden's "Flash of the Blade" (a fun easter egg for fans of Dario Argento's PHENOMENA) with keyboards taking the place of Bruce Dickinson's vocals.

Sounds awesome! I was at a Simonetti's Goblin gig a few years ago (livescoring an extended cut of DAWN OF THE DEAD) but I missed them a year or two later when they came back to do SUSPIRIA. The only downer for me is that Simonetti had assured me (on the first gig's Facebook page IIRC) that they'd play the title track to DEMONS and they didn't, so your experience - especially lifting Flash of the Blade for inclusion - beats mine.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

subbing out Accept's "Fast as A Shark" for an incredibly killer live instrumental cover of Iron Maiden's "Flash of the Blade" (a fun easter egg for fans of Dario Argento's PHENOMENA) with keyboards taking the place of Bruce Dickinson's vocals

HOLY SHIT. "Fast as a Shark" in Demons was a seminal moment for me but THAT sounds AWESOME. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, No Point Stance said:

Sounds awesome! I was at a Simonetti's Goblin gig a few years ago (livescoring an extended cut of DAWN OF THE DEAD) but I missed them a year or two later when they came back to do SUSPIRIA. The only downer for me is that Simonetti had assured me (on the first gig's Facebook page IIRC) that they'd play the title track to DEMONS and they didn't, so your experience - especially lifting Flash of the Blade for inclusion - beats mine.

I went to the live Suspiria scoring a few years ago and it was awesome. That’s a fun movie to watch in a drunk crowd 

• Like 4

Demons was probably the first time I ever heard Accept. I promptly got Balls on vinyl and Restless on tape after that. IIRC, too, Demons was rented specifically as entertainment for when the folks left on a Friday night to go get drunk with friends, I think it was a holiday? So I had the front room and man that was the best time ever in my young life. I want to say I also rented Dawn of the Dead for the first time then too but that may or may not be the case.

"Flash of the Blade" is like the criminally shat-upon "Gangland", people call it second-rate but it's totally awesome. And they do that to "Quest for Fire" too! "Quest for Fire" is the best!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFD0eo-hErU&ab_channel=IronMaiden-Topic

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

Just some thoughts over what I've been watching this month.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (92) - Rewatched this mostly because I hadn't seen it in over 20 years and was reminded of in a WhatCulture Horror vid. It is not good, but it has its enjoyable aspects, and you can see some of the DNA that would become the far superior tv series. I forgot how much it felt like some of those early 90s movies still stuck in the 80s. The dialogue is terrible so much of the time. Still I dug the Buffy/Sutherland relationship along with Rutger and Reubens clearly just trying to enjoys themselves and hamming it up.

Renfield - Pretty fun movie overall. Felt like just the right amount of Cage. Feels like it didn't do enough with Shohreh Aghdashloo though I always enjoy seeing her.

Pope's Exorcist - Kind of standard Exorcist film from what I've seen of those. till enjoyed it if only for Crowe.

The Fall of the House of Usher - Thought this was good with the atmosphere and character focus.

M3gan - Was pleasantly surprised at focus on dealing with grief and the relationship of the girl and her aunt. Wasn't scary, but M3gan herself was fun villain. Kind of curious on how the sequel will go.

No One Will Save You - Was not sure what to expect from this, but it was good. Was surprised at how little dialogue there was, but it all worked well due to the lead and her issues. The ending was a strange one but not bad.

Totally Killer - Had a good bit of fun with this one. The cast was pretty nice all around. The time travel rules were decent enough. And I dug the realizations of someone from current times seeing how different the 80s were from the usual super positive presentation.

The Fog (80) - Decent ghost revenge flick. Didn't love it, but I enjoyed the presentation.

Planning to catch The Thing tomorrow night. May catch Slotherhouse tonight. Looks like dumb fun.

• Like 1

TBH I was not terribly impressed with No One Will Save You.  It looked like someone tried to make a feature length movie showcasing the Woodcrawlers from Gemini Home Entertainment.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, J.T. said:

TBH I was not terribly impressed with No One Will Save You.  It looked like someone tried to make a feature length movie showcasing the Woodcrawlers from Genesis Home Video.

It impressed me, but it was also something fairly new/fresh to me. Will say it felt a little longer than it needed to be. 

It would've felt fresh to me if Brynn (Kaitlyn Dever) hadn't spent the entire runtime making the same horror movie trope lapses in judgment running from the aliens as any other final girl does trying to evade the masked killer (ie. she doesn't lock her bedroom door, hides under the bed, doesn't let the police know what's going on at her house, leaves her car door open, ad nauseum).  We've seen this before many times.

And yeah, probably a bit longer than it should've been.

The movie is redeemed by a totally badass ending even if it does borrow a bit from 10 Cloverfield Lane's gimmick.

Spoiler

Just like the Apocalypse Bunker, this movie takes place in a rather intimate set piece and the narrow focus on the action that transpires within the confines of that space effectively masks the bigger picture.

It's not just Brynn's home that's being invaded by the aliens.  It's the whole fucking planet.  That shit hits you like a sledgehammer.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1