DVDVR Message Board

2023 HORROR THREAD

RIPPA

Supercool, dude! I've been watching these speed runs of fan-made 8- and 16-bit games, like fake Contras and such (the Russian-made Super Cyborg is INSANE) and wondering how they go about making them. There's a Super Mario World "hardest level ever" that is just ridiculous. 

• Thanks 1

Perhaps I owe Roger Corman an apology. 

I was talking to a friend of mine at work who was born in the Bahamas and he told me that the Sharktopus is probably based on the Lusca; a sea monster from Caribbean folklore. 

I never knew there was such a thing and I pride myself on being fairly wise when it comes to world mythology.  Perhaps Sharktopus is not so dumb and far fetched after all?

Pulled out the Near Dark dvd and gave it a rewatch. Still rules. We need more grimey, filthy vampire movies. And vampires without the teeth. The main actor is kind of a wet fish, but I guess he is supposed to be. Henriksen, Paxton, and Goldstein are putting in the lord's work and make up for it. Just try not to think about how dumb the vampire cure is

• Like 2

It looks like Terrifier 2 is available for free on Peacock and Crackle until September 1st.  I will try to watch the whole thing before it goes away, but Art the Clown's ridiculously over-the-top gorehound antics and the damn near three hour runtime will test even the most hardcore scary movie fan.

Thank God that Lauren LaVera as Sienna Shaw, warrior-angel cosplay final girl, is easy on the eyes and makes this thing somewhat bearable.

Edited by J.T.

https://variety.com/2023/film/global/dracula-hammer-john-gore-1235709157/

Iconic British horror label Hammer Films and Studios has been acquired by renowned British theater producer John Gore.

Gore, a 20-time Tony, Emmy and Olivier-winning entertainment producer, is known for his live theater company the John Gore Organization, which owns Broadway.com and Broadway Across America – a leading presenter, distributor and marketer of Broadway theater worldwide. The company was one of the producers of three of 2022’s big Tony winners: “A Strange Loop” (best musical), “The Lehman Trilogy” (best play) and “Company” (best revival). Gore is listed in Variety500 – an index of the 500 most influential business leaders shaping the global media industry.

Gore will lead a new team as chair and CEO.

Founded in 1934, Hammer Films is synonymous with horror, after defining the genre in Britain with classics such as “Dracula” (1958) “The Curse of Frankenstein” (1957) and “The Mummy” (1959), which made stars of Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing while spawning numerous sequels successful across the globe. It also produced such classics as “One Million Years B.C” (1966), starring Raquel Welch, and “She” (1965), starring Ursula Andress. It has a vast library of content including “The Woman in Black” (2012), “Let Me In” (2010), “The Abominable Snowman” (1957) and “The Quatermass Experiment” (1953).

In 2021, the U.K.’s Network Distributing signed a deal with Hammer Films to form Hammer Studios Ltd. After the death of managing director Tim Beddows in 2022, Network was liquidated.

Under Gore’s management, the plan is to invest significantly in Hammer Films to breathe new life into the studio, blending the nostalgic charm of Hammer with modern cinematic style and innovation, while preserving its heritage and library. A new slate of films and projects will be unveiled imminently.

The first film of the new incarnation of the studio to be released is B Good Picture Company’s “Doctor Jekyll,” starring Eddie Izzard and Scott Chambers and directed by Joe Stephenson. It is due for a theatrical release later this year.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Is it the same series I reviewed last year for Halloween Havoc?

Yeah, I guess it was. I completely forgot it existed until I saw the shows listed as 2022, then remembered it was the Shudder thing with Zombie etc. Nice little series.

EDIT: Zombie the movie, not Zombie the person, who was in the Bravo version of this show

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

So a friend of mine works for Troma and gave us an invite for a free screening of their new opus, THE CURSE OF THE WERE-DEER

What a horrible, disgusting piece of film.  Everyone involved should be arrested and thrown into the ocean.  

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=213528697467440

It gets my highest recommendation.  Though make sure you're on the finest illicit substance you can get your hands on before you press play.

• Like 4

It has Lloyd Kaufman and Eric Woodard in it, so I think we all know what's in store.  The usual Trauma Films suspects are all right there.

You don't have to be lit to enjoy a Trauma movie, but it helps.

Edited by J.T.

23 hours ago, driver said:

I don't think I've ever seen a Troma movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p43A12E14ww&ab_channel=FranGlais

Here you go. Don't let any responsible adults get around the monitor while you're watching this! It is for your eyes only. 

EDIT: Well, it isn't in English... you should probably watch it anyway.

Edited by Curt McGirt

It's Roth's original idea, he directed the trailer. Movie's been in the works ever since. 

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2495hb

The pop that got in the theater was great. I bet dollars to donuts he makes a better movie than Tarantino did with Death Proof, though probably not as good as Planet Terror. Speaking of which, how come there's never been a release of the full Grindhouse presentation on DVD/Blu-Ray? The movies are always split up and I think missing the trailers. 

EDIT: That trailer is very very NSFW

Edited by Curt McGirt

I was more excited about this when I was 20, Roth bums me out, and the Grindhouse trailer movies have been let downs, but sure I’ll watch it. Not a November goes by in my house when we don’t do the trailer guy voice going, “White meat, dark meat. All will be carved…on Thanksgiving.” 

So not only is there going to be a sequel to Winnie the Pooh: Blood & Honey there are also going to be movies called Three Blind Mice and Mary Had a Little Lamb.

The later has a trailer