DVDVR Message Board

2023 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

1. The new Walking Dead is now airing on FIVE DIFFERENT CHANNELS AT ONCE. 

2. TV-MA stuff (on SYFY, at least) is airing with all the "fuck"s uncensored at 7 PM on a Sunday night. I've noticed this in I think Adult Swim stuff too? Somewhere. Anyway, it's been rather surprising after all these years. Maybe in five years the Paramount Network will actually air its films uncensored. Or not.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Another question. Does anybody still watch the Walking Dead spinoffs anymore -- around here, at least? And if you did, when did you bug out? 

I cut out early on the original series around season 3, but my wife stuck with it for a long time, and when she did a rewatch I caught up with it. I liked the season where they do the time jump with the Whisperers and the final season was okay. So we did Fear the Walking Dead, and even though it has like a season and a half of decent material we’ve watched all 8 this year. 

So then we did the other one about the kids traveling across the country, and I can’t even remember what it was called, but it was okay. I was hoping that Dead City would be more focused and have better production value than most of the other series since it’s a shorter season, but nope. Kind of sucked.  

Anyway, I went from not watching any of the franchise for a decade to becoming a completionist this year, and I’m sure I’ll be watching the Daryl show with my wife. I guess our idea of quality time is just watching it and bitching about it.

I just Wiki'd the series and the spinoffs and if you are being a completionist, sir, I salute you. That's got to be 200+ hours of footage total. I can't believe their seasons had, besides the first and last two, 16 episodes and the last were 22 and 24 respectively. The finale of one of the webisodes is 10 (ten) 1/2 hours.

EDIT: That isn't counting Fear the Walking Dead and its webisodes. Good lord. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

I watched the first episode. All respect in the world to Greg Nicotero, who is a genius FX artist and apparently a hell of a writer and director, and all the staff and actors but TV horror just doesn't do it for me. (Except for Tales from the Crypt, and Creepshow. And the last segment of Dan Curtis' Trilogy of Terror. And Salem's Lot, It, and The Stand. And I still want to see Dark Night of the Scarecrow. Well... shit. Maybe I just don't like serialized dramatic horror? I only liked some of Dexter...) 

• Like 1

AMC’s primary concern seemed to be pumping out episodes for syndication deals while reining in the budgets as much as possible. So the walkers get noticeably less cool as it goes on, the characters are always playing grabass in the woods to avoid building sets or real locations, and there are a lot of unnecessary navel gazing bottle episodes built around one or two of the main characters so they don’t have to pay the other actors for that week. 

• Like 1

Watching the first episode of Vice Principals (thanks to your recommendations). Needless to say, Gamby would be fired in hours. Funny thing is my school did try and have a walk-out over one of our vice principals leaving, only because we liked him so much. 

"He said he's gonna bring a gun to school!" 😄

EDIT: Oh man I'm dying. We ALSO had a good cop/VP and a bad cop/VP at my high school. The former one was the recipient of the above and the latter was a tall, fat, handlebar mustache guy who was probably not good enough for the force and whos catchphrase was a very Southern accented "Where you s'posed to be?"

Edited by Curt McGirt

Lessons in Chemistry

Brie Larson, Aja Naomi King, Stephanie Koenig, Kevin Sussman, Patrick Walker and Thomas Mann

Best of the best selling book

Eventually I will create a Limited Series thread

Been watching old Dragnet's, mainly episodes dealing with fraud or gambling and they're way more fun/interesting than Sgt. Joe Friday chewing out anyone with slightly long hair. There was an episode where Friday and Gannon broke up a scam that was pretty much the same one from The Telemarketers doc series on Max, to the point I blurted out "holy shit!".

On 8/11/2023 at 4:54 PM, Craig H said:

Hey! Billions is back and it's...good? Still a lot of the same problems as always, like every character sounding the same, but the story for this season seems like a good one.

The Trips appearance wasn't quite as cringe as the Becky Lynch appearance, but yet pretty f'n cringe.

John Malkovich talking about Andre in '87 wass pretty funny though. This is obviously not a show to be taken too seriously, but the commitment to wrestling references and tropes has been cool to witness.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, StretchMediatedHypertrophy said:

The Trips appearance wasn't quite as cringe as the Becky Lynch appearance, but yet pretty f'n cringe.

John Malkovich talking about Andre in '87 wass pretty funny though. This is obviously not a show to be taken too seriously, but the commitment to wrestling references and tropes has been cool to witness.

I wanted to say something about this but kept putting it off. It may have been the most ridiculous episode of Billions ever. I had to laugh at Andrew R. Sorkin waiting until the final season to have the ultimate wrestling episode ever. Oh man. I wanted to cringe at pulling off a double turn, but I said fuck it and just went with it.

• Like 2

Yeah, I hadn’t been paying attention, but I was really surprised by the ending. I had no idea this was the series finale, it never got promoted that this was the last episode or anything. Especially weird because it was only episode 7. I figured maybe the episode would end with game 6 and then game 7 and the lawsuit stuff would be the season finale.

Nope. That’s it. The end. Nothing from that very first episode will get paid off, nothing more from the rivalry or seeing Bird and Magic become friends, nothing of the introduction of Michael Jordan to the league, etc. I’m pretty disappointed. Fucking Zaslav.