DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF GOIN' BOWLING! - 2022-23

Raziel

On 12/31/2022 at 7:18 PM, Cobra Commander said:

if Georgia/Tennessee is any guide, Georgia beats TCU by 2+ scores

Georgia/Tennessee was 24-6 at the half and ended with a 27-13 Georgia win. I suspect that UGA is about to top 27 points in the first half of this game. So I gave TCU too much credit by comparing them with the Vols?

13 minutes ago, EVA said:

Granted, Georgia is better than Michigan, but still…Michigan’s first half against TCU will never cease to confound me. Georgia has not done anything on offense that Michigan couldn’t do.

The fact that didn't have at least 16, and up to 20, on the board at half time is going to haunt me for a long time.

4 minutes ago, EVA said:

If not for one busted coverage, it would be 52-0 right now.

Well, this playoff field is once again proving that the Transitive Property of College Football is the dumbest argument for relative team quality.

• Like 1

All about talent/matchups. TCU is just not even close to Georgia athletically. Barely playing the same sport.

I hate to keep bringing it back up for all our Michigan guys here, but TCU winning last week continues to live in my head rent free. I still can’t believe it. Easily the biggest upset in CFP history.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, EVA said:

All about talent/matchups. TCU is just not even close to Georgia athletically. Barely playing the same sport.

I hate to keep bringing it back up for all our Michigan guys here, but TCU winning last week continues to live in my head rent free. I still can’t believe it. Easily the biggest upset in CFP history.

It does get back to what I was saying about a potential Michigan win over Ohio in the NCG if things had gone the other way: they are built to beat the Buckeyes, and there would've been a fair question if they could've handled Georgia in that hypothetical.

That’s 13 of the last 17 natties for the SEC, for those still bothering to keep score.

A trend that’s unlikely to change, and may in fact intensify, once the playoff goes to 12 teams and you’re almost certainly guaranteed two to three SEC teams per year, as opposed to just one team with a very slight chance to get two (only happened twice in 9 years) in the current system. Tennessee and Bama both would’ve been in this year in a 12-team format. And when you look at how they spanked the ACC and Big 12 champs, respectively, in their bowl games, you can’t even argue that they wouldn’t have deserved it.

For all the people that are trying to make this game an indictment on teams like TCU being in the playoff instead of teams like Alabama,  do they realize that this argument is making teams like Michigan look even dumber.  

Edited by hammerva

4 hours ago, hammerva said:

For all the people that are trying to make this game an indictment on teams like TCU being in the playoff instead of teams like Alabama,  do they realize that this argument is making teams like Michigan look even dumber.  

I don’t think you can make that argument because the semis were both classics.  I do think your odds of getting a lopsided game are better when you start letting in dark horses, though.  But thems the breaks.  I expected TCU to remember they’re TCU and turn into a pumpkin much earlier than they did.  Last month of the season, the conference title game, the semi.  Never happened.  They won out against some strong opponents so they earned their way into the championship game.

But, yeah, last night’s game was no bueno.  I almost did something rash and flipped over to RAW instead,  Fortunately, the urge passed, but I wasn’t much interested in the second half and channel-surfed frequently,  

Edited by Doc Townsend

Yeah, look, I know I’m a broken record on this, but there are NEVER more than 2 or 3 truly national title caliber teams in a given year. So a 4-team playoff will ALWAYS feature one or two teams who have no real chance to win it. (And a 12-team playoff will feature 9 or 10.)

TCU was that team this year. And that’s FINE. They earned the spot.

Did they catch some breaks against Michigan and find themselves in wayyyyy over their heads against Georgia? Absolutely. But I don’t think that should cast a shadow over what they accomplished the rest of the season. They aren’t suddenly a bad or unworthy team just because they got spanked by a vastly superior opponent.

• Like 1