DVDVR Message Board

Brian Flores v. NFL

Cobra Commander

4 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

This is merely me kinda brainstorming, but it doesn't strike me as overly far-fetched that both Flores and Jackson were hired to tank the teams essentially as "fall guys" and a bit of evidence that black people have a chance at coaching jobs too. "We need to be really bad the next year or two, this is the perfect time to score some PR points by hiring a black head coach and then we can fire him for losing so much when we're ready to start trying to win again."

I don't necessarily disagree with you, its very possible, but the NFL won't care about that as that theory has been floated before. The Rooney Rule and the hiring of black coaches has been mostly treated as a joke by owners which most fans know, I'm not convinced its helped any black coaches get head coaching jobs. Not to say it isn't something that needs to be dove into but not something the NFL is worried about regarding the lawsuit since it can't be proven. But if Flores or Jackson have any actual proof that they were offered extra money to lose games, that would be a huge deal to the NFL. Remains to be seen if they can back it up (to be clear, I personally don't need evidence to believe something but the NFL isn't going to care but so much if neither can prove it).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

This is merely me kinda brainstorming, but it doesn't strike me as overly far-fetched that both Flores and Jackson were hired to tank the teams essentially as "fall guys" and a bit of evidence that black people have a chance at coaching jobs too. "We need to be really bad the next year or two, this is the perfect time to score some PR points by hiring a black head coach and then we can fire him for losing so much when we're ready to start trying to win again."

And the NFL's response, in full, will be "Prove it."  Which is extremely difficult under the best of circumstances. 

This is why this story is infuriating.  We all know what's happening, but it's basically impossible to prove unless people are extremely malicious, stupid, and careless. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Tabe said:

Why do I feel like this is Hue trying desperately to explain why Cleveland was so awful while he was there in a way that makes it not his fault?

As a Browns fan, I'm confused now. Did Hue do a terrible job of winning games or a great job of losing them?

• Haha 1

Hue is just an unreliable narrator for me. He's changed his narrative on players, who he wanted to draft, and his relationship with the Browns organization multiple times.

There was a period where it felt like he was saying things to stay relevant. A lot of sports talk/podcasts around the time made fun of him for it.

• Like 1

Hue already backtracked somewhat as he did an ESPN interview yesterday afternoon and basically said he didn't mean to imply he was offered money directly to lose games just that he was brought in to coach a terrible team and then was replaced when the team got better pieces

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Even on that issue though, that's not exclusive to black head coaches. Look at all of the bums the Jets have hired. 

As a Dolphins fan, I still contend that Cam Cameron was the worst head coach in NFL history. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Hue already backtracked somewhat as he did an ESPN interview yesterday afternoon and basically said he didn't mean to imply he was offered money directly to lose games just that he was brought in to coach a terrible team and then was replaced when the team got better pieces

LOL, he all but said it.  "Trust me it was a good number" in response to some saying ownership wasn't offering him $100k per loss.  

So, basically, Jackson is a clown who is shooting off his mouth.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Stephen Ross spent about a billion dollars to buy the Dolphins and the stadium.

If this all goes south for him and he's forced to sell the team, is there any reason to think he would get meaningfully less than the Broncos reported $4 million asking price?

Sure, you lose the status of owning an NFL team, but 300% profit is hard to get too upset about.

I'm sure there isn't but it would be nice if there was a way for the NFL to force the sale and not let him profit from it.  Perhaps by the league itself buying the team and then re-selling it.  I wouldn't want the league itself to profit either, of course, but it's still better than Ross benefitting from throwing games.

• Like 1

If Flores doesn't have any receipts he may have made a miscalculation, maybe in the heat of the moment after not getting the Giants job. I think he is *right* about the racism but his lawsuit is destined to fail spectacularly, or quietly disappear, if he doesn't have any hard proof of anything. And the timing was weird as he was still seen as a young coach that got unfairly fired by the Dolphins, his NFL career wasn't over and he still is (well, realistically was) being considered for other head coaching jobs. The more time that passes the worse of an idea this appears to be to him personally, unless he can get the "class action" ball rolling by getting others to join in.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I heard Doug Whaley on an Athletic pod discussing how he knew he had at least 2 sham GM interviews. I wonder if he has the freedom to speak now that he is a USFL GM.

Considering how shit he was in Buffalo, those were a gift. . . .

• RIPPA unpinned this topic

In speaking with Real Sports - Flores and his attorneys acknowledged that Flores gave up the remaining money he was owed on his contract when he was fired as he refused to sign a NDA (which the attorneys acknowledged is standard practice)

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

In speaking with Real Sports - Flores and his attorneys acknowledged that Flores gave up the remaining money he was owed on his contract when he was fired as he refused to sign a NDA (which the attorneys acknowledged is standard practice)

Boy, if Flores had taken this many L's as Dolphins head coach, I'd be typing this in a Joe Burrow jersey.

He was asked to sign a non-disparagement agreement and to not sue them in exchange for his severance package. 

• Like 1