DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2021 - THE QUEST~

Dolfan in NYC

On 6/19/2021 at 7:59 PM, Death From Above said:

Dude

Given the context - the last second of a conference finals' game, the fact it would have tied the game, etc - this might be the greatest defensive play I've ever seen.  Absolutely unreal.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Robin Lehner to start next game for Vegas. 

And he was outstanding in a 2-1 win where his team did absolutely nothing on offense for 40 minutes.

Maybe I’m just a biased Blues fan who remembers our run so well, but man, I’m getting… a feel for this Canadiens team. Like somehow it’s just meant to be. The rookies stepping forward in big ways, the way the world has basically decided to make one of the most unlikable players in Hockey sympathetic at multiple times this playoffs… I dunno man. Just got a feel.

which means they total lose to Vegas in 7.

Canadian Hockey Fans, I’m curious: the old “Canada’s team” idea has always been bullshit and I always laughed at it, but is there a sense were you guys are that Montreal is getting a lot of rooting interest this year? I’ve seen multiple Toronto fans kinda supporting them and I’m curious how universal it is.

Most Oilers fans I associate with online are, rightly, demented and cynical people and have no time for this Canada's Team stuff. I'm sure for more casual fans it is kind of a thing but for the hardcore nuts around any particular club it's a lot rarer.

Much like the Leafs, the Habs have strong support across the country, but I don't feel like they have anymore than they normally would. At least here it is tough to tell because everything is closed, so I'm just going by internet and news reaction and talking to buddies, a couple of whom were already fans.

If anything there may be a bit of blow back to hearing all year "the North is trash, the North is trash" and that no matter who won the division, they'd just be run off in 4 or 5 games by whatever team they end up playing in the semis. So it's not so much that people are rooting for the Habs specifically as much as "hey, we're valid up here too!"

I'm personally rooting for the Habs because they beat the Jets and I usually figure you want the team that beat yours to go far so at least you can say "see of course they lost, ***** won the Cup, no shame in that." (see Blues, St. Louis 2019)

But yeah, all that Canada's Team shit is bullshit. Fuck the Flames, glad they lost to the Lightning (that was the run that started all the Canada's Team shit). Fuck the Canucks and their crybaby rioting fans. I was indifferent to the Sens, but there's no way I was cheering for them over Teemu and Randy Carlyle. I wouldn't have minded if the Oilers beat the Canes, because it's fun to see teams come from nowhere and go on runs, but it didn't affect my life either way. I just mostly felt bad for them when Roloson got hurt, which ended up portending the next 15 odd years of the Oilers existence

15 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

"Let's celebrate a great playoff win by throwing beer cans at our team!" - post Covid Society.

One of the greatest moments in Isles history and a group of drunk assholes ruined it. Use the cameras to hunt down every single person who threw beer cans, ban them for life and make them do at least some token time in jail.

So Quebec has decided that it is only safe for 3500 masked people to attend the game (can't remember if they have to be vaxxed or not) but letting thousands of unmasked people congregate shoulder-to-shoulder outside the arena is fine?

2 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

There's something deeply saddening to me that in that game the 2 players who led each team in time on ice were Blues defensemen in our cup run, and now our defense mostly sucks. 

During the game tonight I started thinking about who the Conn Smythe favourites for each team left were and Pietro is who I came up with for the Knights.

The other 3 seemed obvious (Point, Price, Barzal) but the Knights were tough. Fleury would have been the favourite before all the goalie weirdness this series and the forwards all decided to stop scoring, Pietro seemed like the best Knight out there.