DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2020

I just hope with Cody as TNT champ that he realizes he needs to be a tweener, if Mox is going to be more of the face. Which will make sense because eventually he’s going to go into a program with Darby, and probably with Jungle Boy too. Tonight’s winner of the battle royale will be very interesting to see how they’ll start this off.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

A part of me wonders when fans are allowed back into arenas, would it be best for AEW to just stay in Daily's Place for the time being before they start going on tour again? I recall someone comparing Daily's Place to WCW's Center Stage or like Disney-MGM Studio tapings. So would AEW likely want to stay there for the coming months and see if fans would be willing to pay tickets there, even if it's not capacity? 

14 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

So would AEW likely want to stay there for the coming months and see if fans would be willing to pay tickets there, even if it's not capacity? 

If they are the only sports game in town before football season starts, then it wouldn’t hurt to try. They do appear to have more people in the stands this week. 

also I was right they’ve appeared to have repackaged Butcher & Blade. Or at least they have dropped the old timey serial killer look. They now look like they could get into a fight with Popeye.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

also I was right they’ve appeared to have repackaged Butcher & Blade. Or at least they have dropped the old timey serial killer look. They now look like they could get into a fight with Popeye.

Wrestling could always use guys who look like HH Holmes, so I'm sad about B&B getting repackaged. 

• Like 1

An underrated gem.  And pure comedic delight.  

I don’t have too much issue with a fresh coat of paint on the Butcher and Blade.  Whatever they do I really hope they protect Butcher enough for a future run at the top. He has such a great grizzled veteran look and a lot of the essential tools.  I’m hoping TV and in ring experience leads to a brighter future.  

Re: AEW Dark
I'd love to see two simple changes to this show.  One, no entrances for the parade of enhancement talent.  Limiting the exposure of their stock music, stock video graphics and the worker's overt entrance taunts (is there a name for entrance 'taunt'.  I'm thinking No Mercy N64 when I use the term taunt here) to attempt to be remembered.  Two, promos.  And preferably the looking into the camera and saying whatever's needed or on the mind rather than with one of their interviewers.  Guys need promo time.  Why aren't they taking this opportunity?  The rinse repeat jobber match format, from when I last watched, stagnants the flow for me.  The ladder match promo montage on Saturday was good, and I'd love to see them do more of it.  Obviously, guys/ladies get over on the mic as much as in ring - see Dr. Baker for example. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

Agreed, like I enjoyed that Avalon, and Cutler segment, but the match afterwards didn’t need to happen back to back. They should’ve separated them. In fact they should’ve made Avalon Vs. Jungle Boy go on last. Regardless, they could’ve had Avalon gloating in the back with Jen interviewing him about his chance to win his first match against Jungle Boy. Maybe this is a cost cutting maneuver, but it doesn’t hurt to spend more time making the show less streamlined.

• Like 1

I didn't get a chance to see that.  In the early stages of the show they had the Cody interview segment and stuff leading into Dynamite.  I'd love to see them do promos for matches scheduled for Dynamite on top of checking in (via the mic) with the generally lower card talent that appears on the show.  Mic time is valuable and seems a bit overlooked.  I'd much prefer the solo non-interviewer looking into the camera kind of promo to the Interviewer asking obvious or mundane questions bit, but perhaps Marvez, Jen Decker and Lexi could use the time to gain valuable experience.  As is, each of them come off very wooden.  A large chunk of the blame has to go to the production team.  Jen Decker's Road to segments, for example, come across like she's reading lines about something she neither has seen or knows anything about.  Decker seems capable of doing the job, but needs help with direction while reeling in her (so to Marvez and Lexi's) tendency to oversell.  And maybe another take.        

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Thanks 1

On 5/28/2020 at 5:46 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah. I don't care if they're the Butcher and the Blade, they wouldn't wanna piss off Beverly Sutphin. 

"Fuckin' Don Knotts!" was always weirdly a staple of me and my high school friends.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

This still cracks me up.

Sammy Guevara is beyond leaps and bounds the breakout wrestler of the last 12 months. The fact that he's not going to be hampered by the WWE is only going to see his career and overall value skyrocket. He's a legit star and one I can see being a pop culture crossover. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Sammy Guevara is beyond leaps and bounds the breakout wrestler of the last 12 months. The fact that he's not going to be hampered by the WWE is only going to see his career and overall value skyrocket. He's a legit star and one I can see being a pop culture crossover. 

Well put. I'm on the Sammy bandwagon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Sammy's on fire.  I'd only disagree in that it's a bit tougher to decide when you also have Hangman Page, Darby Allin and MJF.  And behind those guys you got Jungle Boy whose upside is as good as any of them.  I also think Jack ends up being the 'pop culture crossover'.  Nonetheless, such a fantastic base of talent for the future of AEW.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Sammy's on fire.  I'd only disagree in that it's a bit tougher to decide when you also have Hangman Page, Darby Allin and MJF.  And behind those guys you got Jungle Boy whose upside is as good as any of them.  I also think Jack ends up being the 'pop culture crossover'.  Nonetheless, such a fantastic base of talent for the future of AEW.

I can see Jack doing crossover because of his name.... 

With Sammy... he always gets the comparisons to Eddy... but I also see so much Gino in him. I think he's going to be so much more than just a wrestler.

Orange Cassidy could become famous beyond wrestling. Sooner or later he's showing up in a music video, and that's the springboard to telly and movies.

11 hours ago, AxB said:

Nyla's Wife on twitter. Must be great being friends with them, they're both hilarious.

Is this her first time watching TNT since Dynamite started cause I think there has only been one or two AEW general (meaning not related to the next upcoming episode) commercials that have been running since last September/October. I think Nyla has been in all of em.