DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2020 WRESTLING GIFS

37 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Nice to see Ahmed did highspots with the same care and grace he brought to the  rest of his craft.

My heart almost stopped on that first one. 

• Like 1

JIP Moise Besch vs Jo Benardo. I have no idea who these guys are but they kill each other. They were still working out how to sell pile drivers by this point. 

zvwBDm.gif 

On the other hand, they do this:

E8VZE0.gif

So this is a revenge spot. There's a guy on twitter who takes gifs from the board sometimes, and frankly, I'm cool with that because it gives these old French Catch gifs a lot more eyeballs, but whenever he posts anything like this, some clever dingbat (and it's always a different one) always responds with "damn spot monkeys!" or "don't show Jim Cornette this!" or some other completely terrible bullshit like they're actually adding something meaningful to the world and it's pretty much the worst thing. Every time.

NL6Egp.gif

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I recall a Takaiwa match on a Schneider comp where he just hilariously decimates Hayato Nanjo. Dude was such an unprofessional, no-selling sack of shit.

Watched it again. Unprofessional things Takaiwa does in that match: 

1. Judo throws Nanjo off the top rope, somehow, with no way of knowing how he'll land

2. Picks him up for a bodyslam and literally throws him out of the ring where he lands back first on the corner of the ring

3. No-sells all offense not related to his knee. As in at the start of the match Nanjo starts hitting him and he just stands there staring at him.

4. The finish is I believe a top rope Death Valley Driver into an endless powerbomb (where Nanjo sandbags/Takaiwa fails to lift properly and he could have crippled him) into another DVD. Just to make sure.

5. Nanjo tries to rana him off the top rope but he holds onto the ropes, so Nanjo just crashes headfirst into the mat. Really? Really.

What a treasure.

Edited by Curt McGirt

I had never watched that WarGames prior to getting the Blu-ray. I knew about the finish, but I did not know what led up to it. While watching the first bit of the match I thought it was going very well. On par, with the matches prior to them shelving the concept. But it all goes down with Sid. It’s not just the punches, but also clear spot calling, and at one point Sid throws Rick so hard into the cage, that he gets a concerned look on his face, and says “Sorry, are you okay”. The finish was the cherry on top. It was better than the majority of the 90’s at least, but it was thanks to that eras Horsemen for carrying Sid’s load.

Other match is Ami Sola vs Jacques Couderc

We've seen this spot in headscissors exchange a lot but it never had a spike quite like this:

XL9kx8.gif

And the logical, brutal counter:

81DB22.gif

And what followed, some great European Uppercuts, and a great sell:

oVg62A.gif

• Like 3

With the shitty day I had thank you very much @Elsalvajeloco for that gif.  I sure as hell needed that.  I don't have an issue with the guy but it really takes something special to somehow botch a powerbomb the way he did.

EDIT:  And I just sent that over to Maffew.  Not sure if he can use it since it's NJPW but what the hell.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Thanks 1

Man, what could've been had Ohtani not left for Zero1? He was one of the best in the world as a junior. Haven't seen a lot of his latter day NJPW footage when he started to bulk up though, so I'm not sure if it's more a weight thing or more a Z1 thing or both. I know I got tapes of the early year Fire Festivals and while he and Tanaka were always good they were rarely great.

Edited by Oyaji