DVDVR Message Board

2020 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

Gonzo

43 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The Jets aren’t “required” to do it since they were on Hard Knocks in the last 10 years

The teams that can be required (assuming none of them end up with a new coach) are:

• Pittsburgh
  • Denver
  • Detroit
  • Arizona

So, it's pretty much going to be the Steelers right?  Even thought, I'm pretty sure it's about 3 years too late for it to be the best season ever.  They should have forced them to be on when Le'veon was dropping rap songs about not showing up to camp and before the world knew that Antonio Brown was insane.  I've been trying to figure out whether or not Mike Tomlin is an average coach, because he's had some of the most overwhelmingly talented teams over his tenure but only has one Super Bowl...or if he's a phenomenal coach, because all of that overwhelming talent came with a side of bat shit crazy.  I'm leaning to phenomenal, because he almost got this years team to the playoffs with two quarterbacks who make you wish for the consistency of Mitch Trubisky.

Speaking of Mitch Trubisky, I heard an unbelievable stat about him yesterday.  He's only the second Bears quarterback to throw for 3,000 yards two seasons in a row.  Every quarterback in the league who started 16 games threw for at least 3,000 yards.  It is an average of 187.5 yards a game.  Doing that two seasons in a row is an incredibly low bar, and only Jay Cutler and Mitch Trubisky have done it.

If you were the GM of the Buccaneers, what the hell would you do with Jameis Winston?  Honestly, I think I'd keep him.  He's better than anyone else available.  If you can somehow convince him to throw the ball to his own team exclusively, you have a damn good quarterback.  If things keep going like they're going now, you have the most entertaining quarterback in the league.  He's pretty much the only player in the league where you have no idea what the fuck is about to happen after every snap...that's at least fun.  Without Jameis, you're just another team without a chance to win a Super Bowl and  you're boring.  Might as well be fun.

Freddie Kitchens had to go...but I'm not very excited to see who they hire next.  If you decided Kitchens was a good idea, how am I supposed to trust that you know what a good idea is?  With that said, Freddie isn't the only person we need to be looking at for the mess that was this season.  I know we like to talk about diva wide receivers, and how Odell Beckham is a locker room cancer, and Jarvis Landry needs to shut up, but have you guys watched Baker Vergara play?  If you are a wide receiver, who is consistenly open, and you look back at your quarterback and he's running from a pass rush that isn't anywhere close to him, wouldn't you be frustrated?  Do you remember Peyton Manning after the neck injury, where he'd just fall into the fetal position anytime a pash rusher got close to him?  That was after he was already a first ballot hall of famer, who had been taking NFL hits for over a decade.  I get why he might be leary about taking unnecessary hits.  Baker Vergara just finished his second year.  The Browns offensive line was surprisingly solid this year, he was just running from pass rushers who weren't anywhere near him.  You can't be out here talking like he talks at press conferences and then act a bitch on the field.  I'm so tired of his shit, I can't even tell you.  

• Like 2

Re: Eli

None of that is new information.

All season long it has been a question of whether he will retire or see if he can get a starting job elsewhere.

But most of the reporting has also made it clear that he only wants to start for a contender. Like going to say Cincy (to randomly pick a team) isn't gonna happen

• Like 1

I feel like people are going to look back on Winston's stat line from this year and struggle to keep their sanity.

Led the league in passing yards, second in touchdowns, became the 8th player to throw for 5,000 yards, and the first 30 int season since 1980. And a record 7 pick-6 throws.

There's never been anything even remotely similar to the season he had.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I feel like people are going to look back on Winston's stat line from this year and struggle to keep their sanity.

Led the league in passing yards, second in touchdowns, became the 8th player to throw for 5,000 yards, and the first 30 int season since 1980. And a record 7 pick-6 throws.

There's never been anything even remotely similar to the season he had.

As with everything in his life since we've heard of him...you can see the talent, but you cannot under any circumstances trust the decision making.  

• Like 3

Regarding the other two rumored firings

Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett have been meeting. Technically the Cowboys don't have to fire Garrett since his deal runs out on Jan 14. Most likey he would be let go ahead of that though so he could interview for other openings.

Reports say Shad Khan and Doug Marrone will meet tomorrow (Tuesday) to discuss Marrone's future

35 minutes ago, supremebve said:

As with everything in his life since we've heard of him...you can see the talent, but you cannot under any circumstances trust the decision making.  

The classic million dollar arm, ten cent head.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Re: Eli

None of that is new information.

All season long it has been a question of whether he will retire or see if he can get a starting job elsewhere.

But most of the reporting has also made it clear that he only wants to start for a contender. Like going to say Cincy (to randomly pick a team) isn't gonna happen

Waiting to see which one of them ends up in Chicago.

Eli or Rivers, I mean.

Edited by Gonzo

I like how at this time every year people are like, "please don't hire McDaniels... Please don't hire McDaniels." Last year was my turn with the Colts. Godspeed to all of you who has a team with a HC vacancy.

• Like 1

If you hire McDaniels you are basically hoping he turns into Pete Carroll.  The coach was a huge star the first time around, completely sucked because of his arrogance and stubbornness and then came back the second time after more seasoning to be damn good.  If he was the same ass then in Denver then yeah you are fucked

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hammerva said:

If you hire McDaniels you are basically hoping he turns into Pete Carroll.  The coach was a huge star the first time around, completely sucked because of his arrogance and stubbornness and then came back the second time after more seasoning to be damn good.  If he was the same ass then in Denver then yeah you are fucked

I think a lot of people would be happy if he started with not changing his mind two days after taking the job.

• Like 1