DVDVR Message Board

2019 WRESTLING PODCAST DISCUSSIONS

RIPPA

Episode 79 - "This Is The New Raw, Same As The Old Raw"

It’s late, it’s 3 weeks late. It’s been a busy December. The podcast is back. I started recording this podcast before the AEW announcement. I’ll address it next show. But lets talk about this show. This show I talk about New Japans upcoming USA shows, Impact changing tv stations (again) and the 12/26 WWE MSG show. Then I review Nitro(1/15/96) of course. Then I discuss the “New RAW' which took place on 12/17 and then I discuss the Christmas Eve Raw too. Rate review subscribe on Apple Podcast, checkout the show on Soundcloud and leave questions comments concerns to [email protected]

https://soundcloud.com/websweeklywrestlingwrant/episode-79-this-is-the-new-raw

Fun mostly in character interview from MJF on the most recent Sam Roberts. For as young as he is I think he's got a pretty good head for the business and I share some of his opinions on character vs high spots in wrestling.

The 2018 Webby Awards

Three days after the last one. This is a busy Podcast a lot on. I discuss my road trip from Tacoma Wa to Las Vegas Nv, The Passing of Mean Gene, The Formation of All Elite Wrestling, I review a double header with the 1/22/96 Nitro and the 1/23/96 Clash of Champions before giving out my year end Webby Awards for the year of 2018. Heres my Webby Award disclaimer: “This is all completely subjective and based on matches and angles I’ve watched. This is probably going to be WWE Heavy but that’s because that’s the bulk of what I’ve watched. That’s also the  enteral struggle of the podcast trying to be anti establishment while also being invested in and reliant on the establishment for content. This is about what I think is the best of the year based on what I have watched not what Meltzer or other pro wrestling journalists say is the best based on what they have watched. Completely 100% my own time opinions”. Enjoy the show. Rate review subscribe on Apple Podcast, checkout the show on Soundcloud and leave questions comments concerns to [email protected]

https://soundcloud.com/websweeklywrestlingwrant/episode-80-the-2018-webby

Listening to the Starrcade 97 episode of 83 Weeks. I fucking hate it when Conrad starts screaming because he's "mad" about something.  Nobody's buying it dude. It's obvious you're faking. 

The Sleaze Theead gets mentioned in another thread and, as if calling Tony Todd, ...

Jim Cornette answers YOUR questions about Jimmy Valiant & a glass table, Joe LeDuc, Greenville, Bill Dundee, Nature Boy Paul Lee, Ricky Morton, Jim Barnett & more!

• Haha 3

Man, I just had to explain to an adult friend what a glass bottom boat was.  Like he wouldn't let me just show him.  Didn't have the right table.

I kind of miss having a podcast.  This doesn't mean anything.  I just want to start doing a podcast where I force a friend that hasn't seen W*ING to watch W*ING

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Episode 81 - "The Time Meltzer and Cody Made That Bet"

Another busy week. I discuss All Elite Wrestling, primarily the fan rally (1/8) and the most recent episode of Being The Elite (1/14). It’s just mind boggling to me that this all happening cuz Cody and Metlzer made a bet over twitter if a non WWE show could draw 10,000 fans in the United States. And now here we are discussing the formation of a promotion with financial backing that is looking to compete directly with the WWE. I also talk about the Nigel McGuinness documentary on the WWE Network. I highly recommend it. I eulogize Mean Gene (with help from Dave Metlzer) then I of course recap Monday Nitro (1/29/96) and I recap or review or whatever the hell it is I do to Monday Night Raw (1/7) and Smackdown (1/80) Rate review subscribe on Apple Podcast, checkout the show on Soundcloud and leave questions comments concerns to [email protected]

https://soundcloud.com/websweeklywrestlingwrant/episode-81-the-time-meltzer

Talk is Jericho has Chris doing a solo re-telling of everything that lead to him signing with AEW. Almost done with it but a few interesting tidbits, including that it was Tony Khan's private jet that got him to All In. Jericho also says this AEW deal was the biggest of his career. 

• Like 1

Listening to Mustafa Ali on Lilian's podcast, the most mind-blowing thing about him is that he's mixed Pakistani/Indian, which is completely bonkers given how much those countries hate each other. He's got a great head on his shoulders and I hope they strap the rocket on his back.

• Like 3

Well, they hate each other now, but they were both part of the same country in living memory. If you've been living a really long time.

3 hours ago, Hagan said:

Talk is Jericho has Chris doing a solo re-telling of everything that lead to him signing with AEW. Almost done with it but a few interesting tidbits, including that it was Tony Khan's private jet that got him to All In. Jericho also says this AEW deal was the biggest of his career. 

After listening to the podcast, I’ve come to the conclusion that Jericho thinks he should be booked on top everywhere and that all the ideas from his Canadian homeboys are all great ideas. Meh. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Listening to Mustafa Ali on Lilian's podcast, the most mind-blowing thing about him is that he's mixed Pakistani/Indian, which is completely bonkers given how much those countries hate each other. He's got a great head on his shoulders and I hope they strap the rocket on his back.

I was surprised to find out that he's 32. Not like that's old or anything but I thought he was in his mid-20s.

I do find it interesting Chris considered Impact.

I'm a fan of Jericho. I think he's had three of the greatest character runs in the history of the business. But my God, I think he truly believes he's the GOAT.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I do find it interesting Chris considered Impact.

I'm a fan of Jericho. I think he's had three of the greatest character runs in the history of the business. But my God, I think he truly believes he's the GOAT.

Makes sense given his connection with Nordholm and Callis. 

• Like 1

Chris Jericho is 48. Terry Funk started with ECW in 1993, when he was 49. If Jericho can in AEW do half of what Funk did in ECW, that's a hell of a run.

• Like 8

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a fan, but the whole episode came off as...blow-hardy. At one point during my listen, I thought to myself, “I hope he got some ribs removed in order to blow himself that hard”...

• Like 1

I've still got fifteen or twenty minutes left to listen to, but yeah.

Like taking complete and personal responsibility/credit for the increase in ticket sales and NJPW World subscriptions around Wrestle Kingdom 12. 

Note I'm not saying he doesn't deserve some credit for it, but to act like an already in progress trend continued just because of him...

3 hours ago, MADCAP said:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a fan, but the whole episode came off as...blow-hardy. At one point during my listen, I thought to myself, “I hope he got some ribs removed in order to blow himself that hard”...

He may not need to have any ribs removed. As we know from Talk is Jericho, Chris is a proponent of DDP Yoga.

• Like 2

It's a worthwhile listen so long as you can get past his ego.  Chris has always had that so hearing his claims wasn't a surprise.  But he did make sure to point out how he left on good terms with WWE and dismissed the "pettiness" of moving him to the Alumni page and out of the opening video. 

38 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Has anyone checked out Jerry Jarrett's podcast? I have a bunch downloaded but wasn't sure if it was worth a shot. 

Generally worth it, although it can get religous on occasion. Can also depend on the quality of the guest. 

20 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

I was surprised to find out that he's 32. Not like that's old or anything but I thought he was in his mid-20s.

We saw him at a JAPW show back in 2008, so that wasn't such a surprise... more a finality. "Damn, he really has been around that long..."