DVDVR Message Board

*NEW* DC MOVIE THREAD

The Natural

47 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm finding it difficult to care about this Birds of Prey project. Trailer didn't do much for me. 

I can understand it. I thought the trailer was decent, but it really is just a Harley Quinn movie with the Birds of Prey name attached for no real reason. I like Margot as Quinn, but I'm not super interested in Harley Quinn as a solo act. 

6 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I can understand it. I thought the trailer was decent, but it really is just a Harley Quinn movie with the Birds of Prey name attached for no real reason. I like Margot as Quinn, but I'm not super interested in Harley Quinn as a solo act. 

I'm more interested in the animated series for DC Universe.   I have never been a big Harley Quinn fan outside of involvement with Joker/Batman.   I think Margot Robbie was good in Suicide Squad and I understand why this movie was made because it's probably going to be profitable with a low budget but I'd rather they delve more into the other members of the team. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm more interested in the animated series for DC Universe.   I have never been a big Harley Quinn fan outside of involvement with Joker/Batman.   I think Margot Robbie was good in Suicide Squad and I understand why this movie was made because it's probably going to be profitable with a low budget but I'd rather they delve more into the other members of the team. 

I'm always iffy on anything villain focused. I did not like the Suicide Squad movie, but I thought they actually did a solid job of casting with Quinn, Waller, Digger, & Flag. Still can't say I would be interested in any of them having a solo film. Quinn outside of Gotham always feels weird. She is at her best when with Joker or Ivy.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I'm always iffy on anything villain focused. I did not like the Suicide Squad movie, but I thought they actually did a solid job of casting with Quinn, Waller, Digger, & Flag. Still can't say I would be interested in any of them having a solo film. Quinn outside of Gotham always feels weird. She is at her best when with Joker or Ivy.

I'm more interested in The Suicide Squad because I think James Gunn will find the right balance between what worked with those characters and what's needed to make everything else more enjoyable. 

This looks more like a direct sequel to a movie I didn't like.  Also,  with Reeves'  Batman on the way I'm not sure I want to see any other 'Bat Family' films as it's going to get a little confusing despite them going with the multiverse/Elseworld's approach. 

38 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm more interested in The Suicide Squad because I think James Gunn will find the right balance between what worked with those characters and what's needed to make everything else more enjoyable. 

This looks more like a direct sequel to a movie I didn't like.  Also,  with Reeves'  Batman on the way I'm not sure I want to see any other 'Bat Family' films as it's going to get a little confusing despite them going with the multiverse/Elseworld's approach. 

I looking forward to Gunn's film for similar reasons. It also sounds like he will pull more from the Ostrander's run thematically.

I didn't really like Joker, but not for all the hate and complaints its getting right now. It's more like a deconstructionist take on the Joker and Joker-like archetypes. 

I think the reason people are complaining about it because this version of Joker seems more gritty and realistic and less like a hyper-realistic comic book villain. It seems that a nerve has been hit here and the movie is sort of tapping into things people are afraid of right now so they are lashing out. It hits too close to home.

But what is wrong with sympathetic villains? Last time checked, movies, TV shows, books have been presenting and depicting sympathetic villains and scumbags who do horrendous things for years? It's just a movie at the end of the day. It's make believe. Movies should be allowed to explore fears and psychological id, horrors and dread. 

If you're lucky enough to have an Alamo Drafthouse in your town, one of the great things about them is they'll play these documentaries by Birth. Movies. Death. before every movie, usually having something to do with what you're about to see.   

Here's what they've put together for Joker:

• Thanks 2

Apparently in the movie, that scene is soundtracked by Rock n Roll Part 2, by Gary Glitter.

Stop supporting the paedo, American culture.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AxB said:

Apparently in the movie, that scene is soundtracked by Rock n Roll Part 2, by Gary Glitter.

Stop supporting the paedo, American culture.

Stop producing pedos, UK culture.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/2/2019 at 1:03 AM, TheVileOne said:

I didn't really like Joker, but not for all the hate and complaints its getting right now. It's more like a deconstructionist take on the Joker and Joker-like archetypes. 

I think the reason people are complaining about it because this version of Joker seems more gritty and realistic and less like a hyper-realistic comic book villain. It seems that a nerve has been hit here and the movie is sort of tapping into things people are afraid of right now so they are lashing out. It hits too close to home.

But what is wrong with sympathetic villains? Last time checked, movies, TV shows, books have been presenting and depicting sympathetic villains and scumbags who do horrendous things for years? It's just a movie at the end of the day. It's make believe. Movies should be allowed to explore fears and psychological id, horrors and dread. 

For many people, movies are an escape from the reality they endure every day and recently, that reality is scary, depressing, and filled with uncertainty. I know the last thing I want to see in a movie is a gigantic reminder that yes, our world and people in it are incredibly shitty, horrible, irredeemable, etc. You could turn on the news to see that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

For many people, movies are an escape from the reality they endure every day and recently, that reality is scary, depressing, and filled with uncertainty. I know the last thing I want to see in a movie is a gigantic reminder that yes, our world and people in it are incredibly shitty, horrible, irredeemable, etc. You could turn on the news to see that.

The problem is if you dabble too much into escapism, you lose grip with reality pretty damn fast. I enjoy movies and television whether they are fantasy or an accurate reflection of today's world. It doesn't bother me one bit either way cause I'm not a goddamn psychopath.

Now, individual psychopathic tendencies....well that might be a discussion for another day.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

That's nice and all, but not all movies have to be a certain thing and be put in a box. Also, this movie is not like watching the evening news. It's more like watching something like Mindhunter or Se7en but from the killer's perspective. 

13 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

That's nice and all, but not all movies have to be a certain thing and be put in a box. Also, this movie is not like watching the evening news. It's more like watching something like Mindhunter or Se7en but from the killer's perspective. 

Hmm, interesting. 

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/joker_2019

Everyone still feeling good about that awards buzz?

Honestly though, it's not surprising. They made a rough movie that was sure to be polarizing, not just to audiences, but also to comic book fans. This story has really very little relation to the comics and characters at all. It's very superficial.

It's disappointing to me because I still find the better Joker stories to be infinitely more interesting than what was in this film.

• Like 1