DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2013-14: OFFSEASON THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

Doesn't he contract expire soon? So why would he need permission to talk to the Cubs?

His contract expires October 31. The Cubs can't speak with Girardi before then unless the Yankees grant him permission to do so. Speaking with the Cubs before 10/31/2013 potentially allows Girardi to drive his price even higher EVEN THOUGH he says money isn't an issue.

His contract doesn't expire till the end of October.The Yanks want him to return and in fact met with his reps yesterday.

The general thought process was the Yanks wouldn't grant him permission while they basically have exclusive negotiating rights. (With the only exception being if Girardi just flat out said... yeah I don't want to return). Giving him permission to talk with the Cubs while they are trying to sign him gives Girardi leverage to play the two off each other.

Sorry Rippa, I misread what I saw yesterday and earlier today. Girardi wants to speak with the Cubs before making a decision, but there is no word out of the Yankees on if they will or won't grant him permission to do so. This information comes from Tom Loxas, a Chicago area reporter who has been reliable in the past, and Gordo Wittenmeyer, who is less reliable. 

EDIT: Like you said, unless Girardi flat out turns them down, then there's no point to Cashman allowing Girardi to speak with Theo and Jed. If I were a betting person though, I would guess that Theo would offer Girardi $6 mil per year to trump what Scioscia is making.

The Brad Ausmus for manager talk that's been bandied about lately is interesting as well. I'm not sure what to make of that given Ausmus' relative inexperience. Not including Ausmus, I still think the two biggest prizes out there right now are Girardi and Mike Maddux. 

Beth Murphy is full of shit and can go fuck herself. There's more to this story than what is being let on. She's in dire need of a PR victory given her and Ald. Tom Tunney's cunty behavior over allowing the Ricketts to spend their money and only their money to make improvements to the ballpark.

That said, they're not going to hire Acta. If anything, AJ Hinch has as good of a shot.

I still think it comes down to Girardi, and if not him, then Mike Maddux. Everything else is just noise.

I have no idea how true this story is but if true then fuck this team even more:

According to CBS New York, no Braves player volunteered to catch Jones's ceremonial first pitch before Game 1 of the NLDS because Jones had previously picked the Dodgers to win the series. So Jones had to throw his pitch to the team's mascot, who we now assume has been tarred and feathered for not showing solidarity with his brothers in arms.

From deadspin