DVDVR Message Board

Guest The Magnificent 7

Heya MuhammedBoehm

My bad,I shoulda phrased the O'BANNON thing ALOT differently. AS far as "GOT INTO GAMES", I should've asked the question..."how many video games of NCAA basketball/football, etc" did he play during his lifetime?

My bad buddy...

And if I hda the cash I'd buy a PS4 to play MLB THE SHOW itself.

MLB 15: The Show with this newly released roster set and these sliders is some of the best sports gaming I've experienced. 

I downloaded and applied both in a new franchise. So far, I'm not a fan of the sliders. A lot, and I mean a lot, of infield pop flies and CPU outfielders move like the flash, while my outfields move like they're stuck in mud. Very very few strikeouts too. Basically, the CPU swings at everything in the zone and makes contact and swings at nothing outside the zone. What annoyed me most about that is that on pitches that would be borderline strikes, the CPU swings and fouls it away or whatever. On those same pitches they don't swing at, it's a ball. In 7 games, I've scored 2 runs personally until I get frustrated and sim through innings. Those two runs were bullshit too.

Meanwhile, I continue to do well with Diamond Dynasty, but I'm stuck with being 4 or 5 games under .500. I will go on a run of 3 or 4 wins in a row and then lose 3 or 4 games in a row. Something else I noticed was that I'm no longer being paired up against people with a similar rating. I played one guy and it was his 2nd or 3rd game. Those people with lower ratings are real crybabies. One guy kept messaging me until I blocked him. At first, he wanted a friendly quit in the first inning, and I declined because fuck that. Concede and take the loss or play through the game. So in the ninth inning, with the guy up 3-1, he loses his connection. When he got online again, he kept sending messages like, "You really earned that............" or "That should be my win." I told him I hard to work really hard for that victory and then I blocked him. Even though I blocked him, he must have still been able to send me messages because I kept getting new message notifications from him, but I wouldn't have anything in my inbox. It's like I have him on ignore or something, but he's clearly blocked.

One other thing I noticed about DD is that the card ratings change, which I wasn't aware of before. I'm not sure if they're doing this monthly or not, but my Michael Wacha and A Rod both went from Silver level low 80s guys to Gold level mid to high 80s guys. So for someone like Wacha, that increased his value from nearly 1,000 stubs to over 3,000. I may just see if I can sell him for 5,000 to 6,000 stubs just because I only have a couple hundred left. I spent all of my stubs acquiring all of the stadiums since that gives you a boost in the money you receive per game. I also bought up 31 of 40 guys on the Red Sox. Completing that set would get me Ted Williams and give me another bump in money per game played. That's a ways off though, considering Dustin Pedroia costs 27,000 stubs (around $20 to $30 in real life cash), Hanley Ramirez costs 10,000 stubs (about $10) and David Ortiz costs around 7,000 stubs. 

I fucking sucked with those sliders for the longest time and now I'm lighting it up. As for strikeouts, I try to play mind games with the zone (cutter comes back into the zone for a called strike -> 2 seamer breaks out of the zone and they swing'n'miss). I managed to strike out 12 with Jake Arrieta by the 7th inning and got 8 1/3 into a no hitter before giving up a triple. It takes a long time to adjust but I'm digging the sliders the most. Not seeing a lot of home runs but I'm getting way more extra base hits and scoring in bunches relative to how I was doing when the game first came out.

Keep in mind that this is after putting in about 10-15 games of immense struggling to learn the ropes. I was averaging somewhere between 1 and 2 runs per game offensively but stayed in a lot of games due to pitching. I totally understand if it's not everybody's cup of tea though.

Man there is something fun and nostalgic about finding an old EWR game on an external hard-drive and looking back at your ideas of what made for good wrestling.

"If the game thinks RVD is the best wrestler in the world then by God I'm going to run with it."

Man there is something fun and nostalgic about finding an old EWR game on an external hard-drive and looking back at your ideas of what made for good wrestling.

"If the game thinks RVD is the best wrestler in the world then by God I'm going to run with it."

In my case a stable of The New Age Outlaws/Lance Cade/Luke Calloway (guessing a trainee) fueding with Tanaka Inc (Masato Tanaka/Tomoaki Honma/Tenzan/Tazz)

• Like 1

It's not ideal because pitch counts are a bit high, so you have to increase pitcher stamina (Armor has settings for quick counts) and sometimes there are too many strikeouts but it seems pretty well balanced. You're usually thrown in to a 1-1 count but you get other counts every so often.

Has anyone that plays FIFA 15 noticed that stoppage time seems to always run 5 minutes? It's odd that you do not get variances on that even for games that have very little stoppages in play.

I was wondering if that was a just me thing.

Are you playing as Manchester United? Because that would be an awesome in-joke.

Most of the time I do use Man U, but I think it happens regardless of who I use.

Being Casual American Soccer fan, Man U has always been my BPL team, which is counter intuitive to my sports fandom in the states. I never root for the Yankees, Lakers, Patriots of the world.

I actually grew to like those sliders for MLB 15. I simmed most of the season, but the Cubs wound up in the playoffs. I'm now in the World Series against KC. I had home field advantage and won game 1 in a blowout. Game 2 was a different story. Hosmer blasted a solo homerun in the first inning and through 8, the game was 1-0. I gave up another solo homer in the top of the 9th making it 2-0. Bottom of the 9th, Rizzo leads off with a homer of his own and I'm kicking myself because that would have tied the game up had I not left a pitch hanging. Lost 2-1 and was blown out in game 3 at KC. Game 4 I won 6-1. One more game in KC and then it's back to Chicago.

My starting pitchers went from being lights out to...well...Lester and Arrieta being good, Hendricks being ok, and Hammel and Jokisch being shit. Hammel, who finished 3rd in Cy Young voting. Meanwhile, Arismendy Alcantara is tearing it up. Teams can't keep him off base and can't stop him from stealing. Rizzo and Bryant are, well, Rizzo and Bryant. They're pretty fucking good. I should win the World Series, but KC has been incredibly tough at times.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I caved and picked up MLB 15. I did not play 14 enough to get a good grasp on how to play this series, as I really have not owned a baseball game since MVP 2005 prior to that.

It's safe to say that I was highly irritated to be forced to play as The Giants while I waited for a game to install, and I could not make any adjustments to my team due to most of the menus being locked.

I played a full game and got destroyed, and the game was not even one-third of the way installed. It was late, so I frustratingly just turned the game off and will have to try again later this week.

I think most modern sports series not named Madden have a steeper learning curve than ever. I will never be terribly great at the NBA 2k series for instance, but I still enjoy playing those sporadically. Even FIFA is one where I understand how to play it, but I can struggle at times greatly to create space and chances for myself.

Play with the simplified control settings. Even the more popular slider sets at Operation Sports have you using either meter pitching or classic (hold a button and release when the controller vibrates). The new simplified hitting mode is a bit harder in this year's iteration but even if you don't try to use the right analog for directional hitting, you'll still find success.

I went through about a month of franchise mode worth of gameplay to both break out of the slump and learn how to hit more effectively. I still have trouble with breaking balls but I at least can recognize them better and show some restraint.

I haven't played this the past month or so but will be picking it back up after I get through Arkham Knight.

• Like 1

I wound up winning the World Series with the Cubs, but I haven't ventured back into Franchise mode since accomplishing that feat. For the next season, I'm going to bump up the difficulty a little because I was getting very good at consistently hitting. It may have just been the teams I was playing though, or how well my team was setup because while simulating most of the regular season I was on a clip for 100 wins (finished at 97) and in the post-season my team continued to play well. I should be setup for continued success too since so much of my team is under team control for the next few years. That's great because my WS MVP, Rizzo, will be with the team, and Alcantara, who hit over .400 and was a terror on the basepaths, will also be with the team for years. I will probably let Papelbon walk since this was his last year under contract, but Dayan Vicedo, someone I picked up out of free agency, still has a year left, which is great. He hit a ton for me. Plus, Schwarber, McKinney, and Torres will have another year of development under them.

In the meanwhile I've been playing Diamond Dynasty and the new shitty exploit is taking advantage of when runners arrive at 1B safe. So, you hit a ball into CF for a single and you arrive at 1B, take a step past it and then stop and step back to 1B. What people is taking advantage of that logic by throwing the ball to 1B and diving to make a tag for an out. It's complete bullshit and it's fucking annoying. That needs to be fixed pronto. The other shitty thing is that the issue of committing an error on a pickoff throw hasn't been fixed. The first two pickoff throws will be fine, but on that third throw over, the chances you airmail it into the crowd seem to go up drastically. 

The other shitty thing is that the issue of committing an error on a pickoff throw hasn't been fixed. The first two pickoff throws will be fine, but on that third throw over, the chances you airmail it into the crowd seem to go up drastically. 

Could that be a balancing thing tied to online play? It prevents people from prolonging games by repeatedly trying to pick off a runner. That does not sound like a glitch as much as it sounds like the devs trying to insure that game speed is optimal.

I find that it happens during RTTS and Franchise as well. In RTTS, I used to get a decent lead at 1B, but the pitcher always throwing the ball away made me stop taking that lead because it felt like cheating.