DVDVR Message Board

Guest The Magnificent 7

The Miz is absolutely the guy you love having as a friend until the moment you have to play him. 

The Miz is a guy who you invited because you needed an extra guy for your Madden tournament before realizing that was a horrible mistake.

My quick review of Blood Bowl II

If you've played the Blood Bowl series, it's got a massive graphical upgrade. Still some AI issues, but that's to be expected. Disappointing to only have 8 races at launch (two, Wood Elves and Lizardmen will be DLC shortly after release, and you get one free if you preordered), compared to the 20+ of Blood Bowl Chaos Edition, but I can understand that not every coach will want every team. As long as you can play AGAINST those teams without having to buy, I'm fine with it.

Other notes.

The Campaign is mostly aimed at new players, as the first four matches introduce various things to the new coach (the stats, making blocks, etcetera).

I do like the fact that scripted events happen in the campaign (for example, in one of the early games:

Ogre Mobsters unhappy with one of your team's star players incite the crowd to invade the pitch repeatedly

I also set up a competition which can be done in single player or multiplayer mode. Maybe we'll set up a small DVDVR competition if other folks buy it

That is so great. The defensive AI really rewards hard work and smart play and the animations look on point. NBA 2K is the only sports game I can buy every year and not feel at least partially ripped off. It's going to be a tough 9 hours until release!

That 2K video looks great. Short of the fact that the players sometimes kind of look like they're floating on the floor, rather than actually running on it, you could easily mistake that for video of an actual game. Very impressive.

It plays incredibly well right out of the box on the sim setting. Only thing sticking out right away is the number of blocks, particularly the spectacular recovery blocks.

I tried playing play now online for the first time and both games were a nightmare. It's on the normal setting and it turns into junk arcade basketball. No desire to sit through that shit. Did the high school portion of MyCareer and then opted for UCLA. Good times.

Is it just me, or does this year's FIFA look worse than last year's does visually. I played a couple of games last night and had to adjust the camera, so it didn't feel like I was looking at mice. Also, the red icon for who you are controlling blends in much more.

Some of the players seem kind of blurry and almost feel and look like last gen models.

It's early days but NBA 2K16 is feeling like not just the best sports game of the year but best sports game evar. The attention to detail (pre-recorded interviews with a wide range of players, I think every player in the game having a full body scan, so many unique animations for particular players, Chris Bosh video bombing fools in post game interviews), beautiful graphics (every big name rookie outside of maybe Karl-Anthony Towns looks 100% spot on),  the awesome breadth of modes, and particularly the tremendous leap in gameplay are unreal.

MyCareer is really neat. You can see Spike sowing the seeds for later storylines and conflicts you're going to deal with and while they're all fairly generic, it's still really cool to see in a game.

I played another online game and it was noticeably better than the two I played last night. I'm still finding it very difficult as a defender to stay in front of your man as either you're too slow holding onto L2/LT and have no control without using that button. James just blows by everybody and hits sick dunk after sick dunk. Still beat the Cavs with the Bulls by using the PnR.

Would recommend holding off on MyGM until the first roster update.  Many of the rosters aren't final on the disc.  Having played a couple of games, I actually love that I can't just expect to smoke everyone after being a master at 2K15.  There is a learning curve, and like Oyaji said, great offensive players will eat you up if you aren't a good defender.  On the flip side, a great defender like Eric Bledsoe will give you absolute hell.

Staying in front of a skilled player is pretty much impossible with the standard settings. it's difficult but doable on sim/superstar settings but gotdayum, I just got roasted online by a guy using Jamal Crawford and 100% iso ball so hard. This was further exacerbated by the fact he was throwing mad shade the entire game until he gave the controller off to his bud, who thankfully sucked and I made it respectable. Not playing with the Jazz online again though Gobert is fucking awesome protecting the rim with that length.

I'm finding playing with the Pelicans is a lot of fun. PnR with Davis is nigh unstoppable. If they start playing the pass on the roll, I start to post-up with him and he's a tough one to stop there too. He's a rebounding machine and has had some awesome rotating help-D blocks. The game fucking rules other than the standard online settings.

Followup from my previous post.  I love how ever defender is different.  Bledsoe bulldogged me the whole game and made life difficult.  Next game I get the Clippers.  CP3 is hurt so Rivers starts.  Rivers sags off the ball the whole time and it really opens up my offense.  Pick and pop with Dirk is incredibly lethal. 

Also, in the Social Media section of MyGM, they included @NBAInjuryr3port and I've never been happier.

Controller settings -> preferred position. You can even do player lock in MyGM/MyLeague so it's basically the career mode for a real player.

Just played a full 48 minute game between the Kings and Bucks (me) with the out of box sim sliders and the game speed at 45. Such a fantastic game of basketball! The Kings were the shits on defense but hard at times to stop from scoring even when I played off Rondo on the perimeter to help Antetokounmpo on Rudy or Monroe on Boogie. Monroe had over 20 points in the first half and then, as they focused more on him in the second, Middleton went HAM and basically won the game single-handedly. Greek Freak was insane on defense and had a few monster jams. MCW was just as you'd expect him, with terrible shooting but good distribution, defense, and rebounding. Parker struggled a bit but helped clean up the glass and still had 9 points. I held the lead for the entire first three quarters but they took over in the fourth until Middleton got hot again and I locked 'em down in the last three or four minutes to pull away.

Of the things that Smoove dude was complaining about in that video, I'm just not feeling them. I'm noticing a huge improvement in the post with the new control layout (I destroyed Cousins with a couple of spins in the low post which both led to extremely satisfying dunks) and I like the right stick quick settings on the fly change. You don't have to fart around with your hand on the d-pad for long this way.

I don't think I've ever played a modern sports game where you didn't need to fuck around with sliders for hours to get it close to the real deal until now. Such a relief. Not only is it a damn good sim it's super fun to boot. Fuck yeah, NBA 2K16. My few complaints are these so far: no slider share (would be an issue in the past, not so much this year thankfully) and no option to play on sim settings with online play now. I think there are a few things that aren't functioning because of the pre-order bonus of getting it 5 days early, such as player of the game highlight packages and the highlights in the boxscore screen. And in MyCareer, you don't really have any of the in-between games options that they showed in that hype vid so I'm hoping it's not just a deal where that becomes active after your rookie season instead of them turning that shit on Tuesday.

• Like 1

The Player of the Game deal is a glitch that was in 2K15 and sadly, never fixed.  I hope that doesn't happen here.

I think I only have a couple of real gripes so far, and it could just be a result of the teams involved.  My offense always seems to stand flat-footed if I'm not running a play.  Since I use the Mavs often, it's frustrating, since they run a MOTION OFFENSE.  The PnR game can be frustrating, as it seems like there are many situations where defenders are always playing you super tight, no matter which player you're controlling.  So the pick never happens.  Austin Rivers and Jordan Clarkson shouldn't be locking anyone down like that.  Which is pretty much my last gripe.  Seems like everyone on the CPU is a great defender, and can also blow by you with ease.  Again, no one on my team is exactly a stopper though, so that last part is probably on me.

I do love that every player is good at the things they are supposed to be good at though.  Dirk doesn't miss from mid-range. Jordan Crawford will murder you on a catch and shoot. Bledsoe gets to the basket at will, etc.

One of the devs highly recommended turning the visualization of all plays on and not just the ones you initiate because you'll see the freestyle offense generate screens and off the ball motion for you. It helped me a great deal. 

I just got embarrassed by the CPU. Harden had 30 first half points and they were hitting over 60% of their shots in the half. Damn. I just couldn't stop them. I'm going to give it another shot with the same team (Clips) and see if it was an anomaly or I just never should play the Rox. 

The PnR game is pretty money for me, it's where I generate a lot of offense but there are times when they just shut it down and I have to go elsewhere with my play calls.