DVDVR Message Board

Guest The Magnificent 7

I have never met a game that does not want to be played more than The Show 15. I've played the Royals/Giants game twice now and have done horribly twice. Partly because you can't access any menus to make adjustments, and my install was not even near half-finished. 

I tried leaving the console on rest mode to see if that helped matters, and no dice. I have the game playing now, not even paused, and running while I am at work.

Hopefully, the game will be finished when I get home for lunch.

I have never met a game that does not want to be played more than The Show 15. I've played the Royals/Giants game twice now and have done horribly twice. Partly because you can't access any menus to make adjustments, and my install was not even near half-finished. 

Yeah, you need to let that shit install. You can use the directional pad to access a bunch of different menus to change your defensive alignment, get someone going in your bullpen, take a look at matchups, etc. Or you can pause and go that route.

I know you don't want to hear this, but I would delete what you have and try to start the download again because something sounds fucked up. Especially don't try and play it while it's downloading. That's just there to give you a taste of the game and nothing more because you don't have everything downloaded and installed. 

I deleted the game and reinstalled it. After I did that, I set the tutorial game to just go AI vs AI, and the game installed in about 30 minutes.

I downloaded the latest OSFM rosters and started a franchise with the Braves using dynamic difficulty and default sliders. (I'll go to a slider set as I progress in this game).

I struck out a lot early on, but I really found a rhythm and was able to at least work a count some and pick up a couple of home runs. I won 3-1 in my first game. Granted on very difficult settings, but I felt like I got better as I got deeper into the game. I pulled Tehran before he got too tired (right at 90 pitches), and I intentionally walked Stanton in the 8th when I was only up 2-1, and the tying run was on second with 2 outs. Great first win, and it was nice to play a game that felt like playing baseball.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm, so I've been playing The Show's franchise a bunch recently. I decided to go with the standard OSFM roster rather than the re-rates and I think it may have been a mistake. There's just not enough separation between quality players (pitchers in particular) and average players. Maybe that's why I love OOTP so much, because stars are so hard to come by and the AI will not give you a quality pitcher for anything less than an overpayment. The talent progression system seems a bit overly dramatic too. So many of the Cubs younger players jumped up 4-8 rating points. I ended up winning 103 games (I played about 20-30 games with quick counts) as the Cubs and am now in the World Series against the Yankees. It was too easy. The trade market is too easy as well. I packaged Dexter Fowler, Starlin Castro, and a re-rated Kyle Hendricks and landed Will Myers (though I had to take on Upton Jr.'s albatross contract). I was able to find a great deal of takers on Edwin Jackson's disgusting contract when in reality nobody would touch that thing with a barge pole. I also got Aroldis Chapman and Papelbon through trades. And that's without giving up any key prospects, as I still have Schwarber (who's tearing it up in AAA), Albert Almora, and I graduated Baez to second base, moving Russell to short.

So, while all of that is too easy and the drafted players seem way, way OP, the actual in-game stuff is tremendous. I've had so many magnificent games with big 9th inning comebacks, walk-offs, 1-0 pitchers' duels, and awesome playoff games against the Nationals. I hope they really evolve the core mechanics of the franchise mode for next year because it taints what is an otherwise fucking awesome game of baseball.

Speaking of awesome baseball games, I'm thinking of starting up a new OOTP game and relocating a team to Montreal. Now, Tampa seems like the obvious relocation candidate but then somebody would have to switch the NL, because the Expos gotsta be in the senior circuit. I would gladly take recommendations on what's best on setting up the league with a franchise in Montreal. Maybe have, despite my hatred for expansion, a 2 team expansion draft with a team in Northern New Jersey as well.

I'm also on the OOTP forum and there's apparently a bunch of league/game settings that you can tweak to get some more random progression for players (though I've already had so many top players just hit a wall and then proceed to fall off a cliff in terms of talent). The idea of having the draft play out as a bigger gamble than as it is is intriguing to me. 

I was interested but the more I see of it, the more I think I'll pass or pick it up on a heavy discount. I used to love golf games and haven't played one in 5+ years, so I thought maybe this would be the year.

The lack of golfers, the video on Operation Sports showing off the very limited looking create-a-golfer (and what looks to be an inability to share created golfers, which would've solved my first issue), and the focus on all the goofy arcade shit.

I'm going to wait for reviews. If it gets very good reviews, I'll have to reevaluate my decision but for now I'm passing.

I was interested but the more I see of it, the more I think I'll pass or pick it up on a heavy discount. I used to love golf games and haven't played one in 5+ years, so I thought maybe this would be the year.

Somebody needs to bring back Links or something. Seriously.

• Like 1

Has anyone heard anything about the EA PGA game coming out tomorrow?

I got it.  Played a little last night.  Wasn't very impressed.  The commentary is off at times and the animations and cut scenes aren't always the smoothest.  Plus only eight courses, nine if you preordered it.  What I want in a golf game is to play a realistic career.  Give me the four majors, the wgc events, about 20 additional events and let me play my career.  Let me sign my own sponsorship deals, let me play my way onto the Ryder Cup team and into the season ending tournament.  Don't let me influence the spin of the ball while it's in the air.  And the create a character isn't deep at all.  Just a handful of generic faces. 

I got it.  Played a little last night.  Wasn't very impressed.  The commentary is off at times and the animations and cut scenes aren't always the smoothest.  Plus only eight courses, nine if you preordered it.  What I want in a golf game is to play a realistic career.  Give me the four majors, the wgc events, about 20 additional events and let me play my career.  Let me sign my own sponsorship deals, let me play my way onto the Ryder Cup team and into the season ending tournament.  Don't let me influence the spin of the ball while it's in the air.  And the create a character isn't deep at all.  Just a handful of generic faces. 

I never picked up or played any of the Tiger Woods ones that had Augusta in them. With this releasing, I've been debating just doing that.

I got it. Played a little last night. Wasn't very impressed. The commentary is off at times and the animations and cut scenes aren't always the smoothest. Plus only eight courses, nine if you preordered it. What I want in a golf game is to play a realistic career. Give me the four majors, the wgc events, about 20 additional events and let me play my career. Let me sign my own sponsorship deals, let me play my way onto the Ryder Cup team and into the season ending tournament. Don't let me influence the spin of the ball while it's in the air. And the create a character isn't deep at all. Just a handful of generic faces.

Man. That's a bummer. Has there been a golf game that lets you do all of that?

I got it. Played a little last night. Wasn't very impressed. The commentary is off at times and the animations and cut scenes aren't always the smoothest. Plus only eight courses, nine if you preordered it. What I want in a golf game is to play a realistic career. Give me the four majors, the wgc events, about 20 additional events and let me play my career. Let me sign my own sponsorship deals, let me play my way onto the Ryder Cup team and into the season ending tournament. Don't let me influence the spin of the ball while it's in the air. And the create a character isn't deep at all. Just a handful of generic faces.
Man. That's a bummer. Has there been a golf game that lets you do all of that?

Not that I've found.

While this is still an awesome deal, just a heads up: this is last year's game. Defo a great game and you'll probably be able to find an end of the season roster on the OOTP forums.