DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

46 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Nick Kozak & Dean Ho vs. Mr. Fuji & Gypsy Joe Rosario (1972/04 07) 
9:33 Terry Funk & Dory Funk Sr. vs Bull Curry & Paul Boesch
16:50 Red Bastien vs Thunderbolt Patterson (1972/04/07)
20:15 Johnny Valentine vs Stan Stasiak (1972/04/14)

The best part here are the clips of the fans though, this is from another planet.

The Valentine/Stasiak angle is so great. 

• Like 2

I looked up "Gypsy Joe Lothario" YESTERDAY because I remember him from when I was like FOUR- and I assumed it was a Jose Lothario gimmick from 50 years ago.  I now realize it was Gypsy Joe Rosario and he was weird enough to remember fifty years later.  What a freak.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

The Valentine/Stasiak angle is so great. 

The way Valentine secretly sizes him up before unleashing it is soooo awesome.

On 7/17/2020 at 6:26 AM, ohtani's jacket said:

Enrique Torres is awesome. I am waiting for you all to discover Billy Goelz. 

Request a ballot from Dave for the HOF voting. Yohe and I have been trying to get Enrique in for years.

37 minutes ago, DEAN said:

I looked up "Gypsy Joe Lothario" YESTERDAY because I remember him from when I was like FOUR- and I assumed it was a Jose Lothario gimmick from 50 years ago.  I now realize it was Gypsy Joe Rosario and he was weird enough to remember fifty years later.  What a freak.

That was quite the match he had with New Jack...

On 7/17/2020 at 9:57 AM, paul sosnowski said:

Do you know of any other Enrique Torres matches that are available?

Check at Wrestling Classics

On 7/18/2020 at 9:21 PM, Casey said:

Two weeks before Mike Awesome won his first ECW World title in front of 6,000 people, he had his second ever singles match in All Japan against Kenta Kobashi in the Budokan at the last Summer Action Series show in front of 16,000.

I really wanna dip into this era of AJ. Like, 98 to the split, and then the weird interregnum period before Muto jumps over. But I’m super unfamiliar with the end of the 90s, when they bring in Vader and UWF guys, and Omori starts getting pushed, etc.

• Like 1

I just thought it was pretty interesting, considering just a few months prior, ECW had their supershows with FMW, and Awesome obviously didn't participate given how and why he left FMW. And then he pops up in fucking All Japan, in the midst of his monster push in ECW.

28 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I honestly assumed that was just the same crazy old man I saw show up in FMW or whatever it was. There are two Gypsy Joes?

HOW MANY ARE THERE

Gypsy Joe Rosario was Pancho Vladez according to Cagematch and they don't have any more matches listed past 1975.  I just remember him wrestling in Texas when I was 4 or 5 and never seeing him again.  

Bobby Heenan was a great wrestler.  I can't figure out how this was supposed to get Zumhofe over.  He didn't get beaten by a wrestling manager in ten minutes?

Speaking of the Gypsy Joe we all know, I didn't know he was the ref for the IWA Japan King of the Death Match tourney until I started watching it (for the first time ever completely, actually. Almost finished). 

EDIT: Well okay not all the matches. Speaking of which, man did Dan Severn have the best match of his career with Goto that night. Real fire from him, plus Goto just kicked the shit out of him too. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

@BAHU's write up about Gladiator/Awesome mentions that Heyman convinced him to return to ECW, instead of staying with All Japan.

I don't see a Gladiator bio on Bahu's site and there's no notes in his August results. What's the story, or, better yet do you have a link?

16 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Speaking of the Gypsy Joe we all know, I didn't know he was the ref for the IWA Japan King of the Death Match tourney until I started watching it (for the first time ever completely, actually. Almost finished). 

EDIT: Well okay not all the matches. Speaking of which, man did Dan Severn have the best match of his career with Goto that night. Real fire from him, plus Goto just kicked the shit out of him too. 

The Road Dogg/Al Snow/Hardcore Holly run and the Crash Holly run of that specific championship were fun, but I always thought there was a lost opportunity with getting heat on Dan Severn by being a guy that wins the WWF Hardcore Championship with wrestling holds, until eventually someone brings out the hardcore fire in him like in that Goto match.