DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

Jaguar Yokota could fucking go, ladies and gentlemen. Motoya is also pretty good here as well.

BTW I need someone to make a GIF of Jaguar's leg trip/ankle pick setup of the figure four at 4:46. That was wicked.

• Like 1

This is really fun. Same show features a good Fujiwara/Yamazaki main event with the latter picking up probably the biggest win of his career up to that point and a ridiculously fun Mr. 200% Yoji Anjo/Takada match. Anjo's timing and psychology don't let this become a snorefest when Takada goes to lay on him and exert dominance. I can't find the Anjo/Takada match online sadly.

Hakata Starlanes is my second favourite wrestling venue after Korakuen Hall. It, obviously, didn't have as many events but the fans there were always so hot and loved an underdog. In time, I'd like to do a compilation of the best of Korakuen and Starlanes Magic sets. 

Edited by Jiji

Saw this on my Twitter timeline and had to search down the match/angle

Now it makes sense why they put the title on Garvin. This almost blew the roof off the Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

That is the best promo for 99.9% of every other wrestler out there and for Flair that was just Wednesday. And the angle before it was so money. I can feel the people's excitement. Johnny Weaver was more animated than I think I've ever seen him. He sounded more excited than David Crockett (okay, almost).

'87 is considered the last great year for JCP in terms of business and even creative, right? 

• Like 1

I never knew Hansen/Vader were a tag team until reading the GIF thread, so found this...

...and this...

...and this? 

EDIT: That Kobashi/Akiyama match is one of the most unreal 20 minute long ass-kickings in world history. 

Spoiler

Vader and Hansen make sure to beat up Kobashi even more AFTER they lose. And the funny thing is you think Kobashi and Akiyama are going to lose from the jump when Vader drops Akiyama directly on his face. That's got to be one of the biggest fluke wins ever.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

On 8/15/2020 at 7:51 PM, Death From Above said:

I am just settling in to watch this myself but Roy Lucier says the main event is a 30 minute match between Arn/Flair vs Austin/Vader so uh yeah I'm gonna make time for this.

So I watched this just now and it highlights a couple of things. 1) Ric Flair is an amazing babyface. His old tendency to work a million miles an hour, as he did so well with Steamboat, comes to the forefront when he's a face and it's so much fun to watch him ping around the ring, kicking ass with so much fire, jumping off the top to the outside. It's great. And he's such a fantastic babyface for Vader because everybody loves Nature Boy to some extent even when he's a dastardly heel, so we get to cheer him against the most intimidating presence in North American wrestling. And he busts out desperation stuff that he normally doesn't do against Vader. That brawl on the outside was amazing. 

2) Arn Anderson, as great as he is, is not much of a babyface. I've been watching some of the babyface Horsemen stuff from late '89 and early '90 before they... and you'll never believe this... turn on Sting. He works pretty much as a he does when heel, doing stretches and taking shortcuts. A part of me kind of likes that because the difference between baby/heel Flair doesn't make logical sense, but the crowd wasn't buying into it. His selling here is pretty good, much better than I remember the '90 stuff with Buzz and Muta. However, the heat goes on for like 12-15 minutes and they fucking run out of TV time as Flair gets the hot tag.

The opening is smoking hot and the last minute is fun and there's quite a bit of good in-between but I don't think enough to make it great. Vader was gassing hard by the end. Thankfully the other three are machines. I'd say definitely worth the time but be warned there is no finish. Tony said they'd air the finish on the following day's Main Event but I don't think I have that on a random hard drive laying about and it doesn't appear to be uploaded on DM or YT either.

I've seen the Flair/Vader Starrcade match a couple of times. How's the Clash match that they referenced during the match? And Austin/Pillman?

23 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I've seen the Flair/Vader Starrcade match a couple of times. How's the Clash match that they referenced during the match? And Austin/Pillman?

Both matches were above average to good, but this being a Clash before their biggest PPV of the year, Vader/Flair was a backdrop to ultimately lead to Vader vs. Sid at that year's Starrcade and the tag match of Flair/Sid vs. Vader/Austin. However, because of what went down between Sid and Arn, they couldn't do that. Sid had to go which left the door open for Flair to jump in there at Starrcade. In a great bit of irony, Arn replaced Sid in that tag match.

• Like 1

The Horsemen vs Blondes Clash match I think is fine, but generally viewed as a disappointment given the people involved. 

in a way, it’s a shame Flair did not like being as a face, as he is good at it and it allows him to vary the formula of heel traveling champion we know all too well.