DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

I think I went super hard into 1992 because I thought it an interesting transition year and it would make for a good TEW mod, so I bought a shit tonne of footage from all over the world. Never did get far with the mod, but I somehow watched the last few months of the Jumbo/Misawa feud before I saw the beginning... Still fell in love. Doing research for that, I went gaga for Kawada, Jumbo, Fuchi, Hansen, and Hokuto. Love them all to this day.

Instead of doing the actual work on the mod, I spent a TONNE of time doing a skin and trying to learn how to use GIMP. I went with the idea I got from Meltzer discussing Paul Boesch's office being lined with framed photos of wrestlers that worked the territory. Not sure why I had Blue Demon as the past of lucha libre, so maybe it's for the best I didn't get far with the data but Blue Demon in a suit does look really cool. Here's what 10-12 years ago me came up with...

Spoiler

titlescreen.jpg

game650.jpg

MadDogVachon.jpg The reflection is of Paul Boesch's office seen below I think

Wrestling The Way You Remember It! on Twitter: "Paul Boesch in his ...

In other words, those 6 and 8 man tags from AJPW in '92 really made me fall in love with that style of wrestling. I knew I liked it from the bits of best ofs and other assorted tapes I had bought but going deep dive into AJPW and AJW '92 in particular was heaven for me.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

I haven't the slightest why Jerry Jarrett would look at Phil Hickerson and say "let's make him Japanese". Bruce Hart was probably drunk when he stuck Mike Shaw in Karachi Vice so at least there's an excuse for that. 

He was being managed by Tojo nand given one of Tojos old gimmick names. 

I mean, its not like when Chris Champion was Yoshi Kawn and was supposes to be Asian. 

18 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Never saw this before. As you can tell both guys get blowed up real good. Not quite blood-heavy (which is another reason I haven't been able to scrape up a Matsunaga match for some reason). 

I  hadn't seen that either.  This match is great.  FMW predates BJW in putting huge wads of wrestling psychology in a death match.  I'm guessing this is after their breakout straight wrestling match.

8 hours ago, odessasteps said:

He was being managed by Tojo nand given one of Tojos old gimmick names. 

I mean, its not like when Chris Champion was Yoshi Kawn and was supposes to be Asian. 

That was also an era where Americans were fearful of the Japanese "taking over" everything.

Yoshihiro Tajiri vs Minoru Tanaka - Battlarts 1/20/98

This was on a Best of Tajiri tape I bought off ebay and I'm pretty sure it was the first Battlarts match I ever saw.  Doesn't have quite the same stiffness as the best Batbat stuff, but it has some nifty matwork and wacky submissions.

5 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Not gonna lie, this wasn't quite as good as I hoped, but it's still Stan Hansen vs motherfucking Sgt. Slaughter.

I had forgotten that we got to see Stan vs Sarge at a Baltimore house show in 1986. 

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

This is every lady in Japan I should have been following 8 years ago.

To be fair only Asuka & Arisa were particularly so good back then. All the other improved a decent bit in the years since.

• Like 1