DVDVR Message Board

Pokemon Go!

I don't know why but my Pokemon ball count drops below 20 - I suddenly suck at catching Pokemon.

So I have hit this stage where I am constantly running out of Pokeballs because it takes me like 11 to catch a fucking Zubat

• Like 2

Man I'm jealous of Goldusts full set of 9 incubators as I walk around hatching one egg at a time.

If I could figure out how the hell to buy coins on this thing, I might actually drop some money on it.

Yeah - while I could Austin battling enough gyms to get coins - I am fairly sure Dustin is buying his

Of course - both of them can afford to waste money on these games.

Still not as bad as Cody spending 1800 on Clash of Clans

4 hours ago, CSC said:

Man I'm jealous of Goldusts full set of 9 incubators as I walk around hatching one egg at a time.

If I could figure out how the hell to buy coins on this thing, I might actually drop some money on it.

You can actually earn coins by defending gyms for certain lengths of times (10 per 24 hours, up to 100 per day)

Also, here is your new timewaster / greatest thing ever:

https://pokevision.com

Displays a real-time map of your location (or wherever you drop the pin) and shows you what is available there - right now - based on Niantec's servers. (Does not show ones that come up based on lures/potion, since those are only visible to you.)

Yea that's never going to happen.  I live and work in really active areas where generally the Pokemon defending the gyms have well over 1000CP which is way out of my league at this point.

• Like 1

Yeah - I just took my son to the gym outside an Alamo Movie Theater.

He captured the gym.

It then changed hands 20 more times in the 10 minutes we were there

• Like 1

My job just sent out a memo that employees and visitors can not play the game on campus (mind you, we have two PokeStops in the hospital). I can understand not wanting employees playing but I am not sure how they think they can tell visitors not to play. What, if I see someone playing I am supposed to say "Hey, stop playing Pokemon! You can play Clash of Clans or Candy Crush, but no Pokemon!" Just seems like old people over-reacting.

Finally got around to trying this out yesterday. 

Couldn't really play it since I was at work but should I be concerned about how many Rattatas and Pidgeys seem to be infesting the ward I work on? Infection Control should be all over that! I'll have to give it a proper play on my day off when I go for a run or something but I still managed to nab about a dozen different Pokemon around the building and on the way home without having to go out of my way.

There's a whole bunch of Pokestops and a couple of gyms thought the hospital. Not sure I agree with a Pokestop being outside main theatres and a gym bring in the birthing centre. Are these things randomly placed or did the game just think that was a good idea?

Its murder on my battery! I left an egg hatching while I walked around work this morning and in the hour it took I was down to 75%! 

@Dolfan in NYC, I heard about Pokevison and apparently there's an app that does something similar.  I'm tempted to use it, but it just feels like cheating to me.  And apparently Niantic is planning on going after them.  That said, I might give it a shot, but I'm tired of only having Zubats and a couple exceptions around me.

@Kevin Wilson Playing Devil's Advocate, I can see why they'd send that.  It could be an issue where if one is trying to catch something they clog up a hallway that doctors and patients need to go through.  Overreacting?  Quite possibly, but I at least see their point.  Though I'm hoping they're not actually expecting you to enforce that with visitors.

@Basara Do you have it on Battery Saving mode?  In the apps's settings turn that on.  It'll still drain your battery, but not as much.

• Like 1

Have no devices that can play this without crashing, only piece of advice, don't play drunk and walk into shit. It happens a lot.

15 hours ago, CSC said:

Yea that's never going to happen.  I live and work in really active areas where generally the Pokemon defending the gyms have well over 1000CP which is way out of my league at this point.

I took down a 4 person gym yesterday by myself.  Every time I've left something good there, it's taken back within 5 minutes.  I said screw this and left a Magikarp there.  Someone else liked the joke and left a 30CP Pidgey. 

• Like 1

On July 21, 2016 at 3:09 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

You can actually earn coins by defending gyms for certain lengths of times (10 per 24 hours, up to 100 per day)

Also, here is your new timewaster / greatest thing ever:

https://pokevision.com

Displays a real-time map of your location (or wherever you drop the pin) and shows you what is available there - right now - based on Niantec's servers. (Does not show ones that come up based on lures/potion, since those are only visible to you.)

This website encompasses the major problem I have with the game. At home in Wisconsin, I receive a constant onslaught of Pidgeys, Ratatas, Weedles, and the occasional Eevvee or Venonat. I'm on vacation in Northern California this week. I went to San Fran the other day and played Pokemon Go while walking around the Fisherman's Wharf area. I caught about 15 new Pokemon there in a few hours that I had never seen before.

I'm now staying in a town about 2 hours north of San Fran. Walked around town for an hour this morning. I didn't notice a difference in the types of Pokemon compared to back home, except maybe a few more Ekans. Lots and lots of Pidgeys and Ratatas. Check the website. Look at the variety of Pokemon at tourist attractions like Fisherman's Wharf or Times Square. I shouldn't have to go that far out of my way to catch something less common.

I tried the power saving option but it still melts through my battery if it's loaded for a decent amount of time. I went for a run yesterday so just left it on to hatch some eggs and after about 90mins i'd lost maybe 40%.

There's a real lack of variety near me too. Nothing but Pidgies and Rattata. I've scored a couple of one offs I'd not seen before or again (damn Squrtle got away, the bastard). I did get a Psyduck while running along the riverside though. I'm guessing the environment has an effect on what's near you. I'm not really into it enough to make a special effort to go into town to see what's there though. 

Scored a 3 use incubator so I'll probably leave it loaded for an hour this morning while I'm walking around work. 

Confirmed that Pokemon are region locked and type of land does effect type of Pokemon (ie: Water Pokemon are closer to bodies of water)

Trading is confirmed - so folks will be able to get the ones that aren't in their side of the world

Pokestops will supposedly be customizable (dont know how that will work)