DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] R2C: MINORU SUZUKI vs. SASHA BANKS

MM16: 2nd RDC - MINORU SUZUKI vs. SASHA BANKS  

95 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

Aren't the first two rounds supposed to make it really obvious it's a seeded tournament and the favourites have an easy path to the later stages?

Aren't the first two rounds supposed to make it really obvious it's a seeded tournament and the favourites have an easy path to the later stages?

That was only if it was a truly seeded tournament

This tournament was me choosing to get yelled at for early round matchups as opposed to getting yelled at for who was excluded (if I only did 64) or if I did true NCAA inspired seedings (thus ranking all 96 people)

I like Sasha a lot but I don't think she's capable of producing a nuanced performance like Suzuki's vs Nakajima or the first two Marufuji matches, or would be able to carry MAYBACH Taniguchi to a match I would watch and enjoy. Suzuki is hardly the world's most consistent worker but I feel like his ceiling is much higher than Sasha's and we there were enough great performances of his this year for me to be able justifying a vote for him.

No way in hell am I voting against Sasha.  I'll admit, the bias is strong in this matchup.  There's only one person I'd consider voting against Sasha, and as good as he is Minoru's not that guy.

I saw almost no Suzuki.

I saw loads of Sasha Banks and loved every second of it.

I'm breaking my own rule of not voting if I'm not up on both competitors.

Fuck it. This is Sasha Banks.

VOTE FOR FUCKING BAE!(acronym for Before Anyone Else for people who do not know)

tumblr_o3fh805jMe1unu9zio1_500.gif

There has not been any wrestler in recent memory that made me care for a wrestling character since Sasha banks in a relatively short time frame. I cared about Daniel Bryan because I knew who Daniel Bryan was. Sasha, no idea who the fuck she was when she stepped into NXT. But watching her turn heel(out of voting period) in spite of being a good girl character that was just happy to be there set a precedent that for the rest of the career until now which is rare. How many characters still maintain a sense of who they were after such a dramatic change? Only wrestlers who did not have much of a character to begin with do and are just more aggressive. It's rare that characters maintain a personality trait or tragic flaw that carries them to their career. Whether it is Triple H's obsession with being the champion, the Rock's obsession with being loved adored whether it was a figure who embodied racial issues, a corporate champion, the People's Champion, or a pissed off celebrity who felt betrayed by the People who so longing represented. Sasha's character went from meek and nice girl to vain, aggressive, almost celebrity type by sheer force of character. She went from Lauryn Hill to Nicki Minaj and that kind of shift is as drastic as Johnny Nitro to John Morrison(when he was heel and actually mimicking Jim Morrison) or Ringmaster Steve to Stone Cold Steve Austin. It might as well as be a completely different character. But Sasha was still the same character she was before. The Boss is a facade that she created in order to succeed in the WWE. We hear JBL talk all about it on how that you have to cheat, scratch, and claw to succeed. That in Vince McMahon's microcosm, success means backstabbing your friends, being the meanest, most arrogant asshole on the planet. So much so that he intentionally allows elements that could be easily fixed to prevent the cheating and scheming to be fixed(such as instant replay in case someone used the ropes, or reviewing the matches to post disqualify cheaters who got away with it because the ref did not see it). The main conflict in the WWE is not just  a combat sports organization that is constantly retelling Rocky over and over again. The conflict is an internal one between wrestlers that asks them what would you do to succeed. Vince rewards people who are like him or how he likes them to be so Sasha took up a persona that spelled success in this company. Sasha is Sami if he grabbed the belt and slammed Neville with it. On the outside, she is proud of herself, but on the inside, it is eating away at her. She wanted to be successful and still be Sasha Banks and not the boss.

Hints of this was shown when she finally won the title. After she won it, she looked like she was going to celebrate and break face, but kept her heel persona and mocked Charlotte. Then she was interviewed Rene and we saw a glimpse of the real Sasha Banks. She immediately shed the Boss persona as soon as Renee called her on it and cried about it. Some would call it a break in character, but this was reflected in her previous perpetual bullying in Bayley. One of the things that I found fascinating in her title run was that, in spite of being a heel, she only cheated in 1 of the title defenses and that was immediately after she won it in. Then it was her match at Takeover Brooklyn where the real Sasha just poured out throughout the match. She was screaming a Bayley things that would not make any sense like "You think you are better than me Bayley." And it's like...wait a minute, you beat Bayley 4 times out of five. There is no way Bayley thinks she is better than you. She knows she is the underdog. But her hatred is Bayley is that unlike Sasha, Bayley gained success while staying true to herself. Sasha did not. He lied, cheated, and stole her way to success. She bullied and pandered her way to the championship. And looking at Bayley, she sees herself or how she used to be and it eats at her that Bayley can still be Bayley in spite of being in this dog eat dog world. It's a story that we all go through or have. What do we have to give up to get something? Whether it is our lives or right to eat. Our pride starts to erode and some of us allow that ate up our aspirations and dreams and changed us and watch with glee or with apathy as it does someone else. Then we see those happy fucks that have not lost a sense of the naivety and still maintained a sense of themselves when you gave it up. That's Sasha struggle. She still wants to be herself but can't or feels that she can't because she wants to succeed.

Even in the gif that I posted, there are still little breaks of character. During this whole interview with Cole, she was bickering with Becky and dismissing her and was the usual braggadocios Boss self. But when Cole asked the question, why she deserves to go to wrestle-mania. She reverted back to Sasha Banks and gave a genuine answer. She's the best wrestler in the WWE roster. And she is the best at this WWE story telling driven style where she expresses emotion that drives the story more than her actual maneuvers. And yeah, she is amazing in the ring. She is Eddie Guerrero reincarnated. You vote for Sasha for everything that you love or used to love about WWE styled wrestling. 

Vote for BAE!

• Like 8

I'm about to vote.  This had better be about 40-0 for Sasha. 

[ed. -- Well, it's Sasha +41, so... well done DVDVR.]

I'm out of likes, but after the first round, I figured we wouldn't have any sweeps.

Although, real talk, this match should be a sweep.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Minoru Suzuki had a match against Colt Cabana in a round-robin tournament, where he was so fed up with Cabana's antics, that he risked geting disqualified, even though this would have cost him the match and crucial points in the tournament.

Vote MiSu!

Minoru Suzuki vs. Colt Cabana

The only thing I learned from this match was to skip anything involving Colt Cabana. He made that match totally unwatchable.

I like Suzuki but Sasha has the two Bayley matches and the Becky Lynch match during this time period. Sasha's the easy choice here.

I love how people who don't watch one worker come in and say "this should be a sweep!"

I can't believe the popular WWE wrestler is winning.

I have 0 problem with Sasha winning this. Proclaiming "This should be a shutout" without watching one of the competitors is dumb.
Your assumptions are getting tiresome. Point to where someone said that without watching Suzuki.

Actually, you've been a dick since this started. I'm not sure what your problem is, but it's bullshit.