DVDVR Message Board

DVDVR Plays Darkest Dungeon: We are all gonna die.

I love Darkness Dungeon, just know what you are getting into. It's a game that is going to punish you. You don't even have to make a mistake. Sometimes, chances just takes hold and you get fucked over. You will lose your best characters you have put time into. And there are no different difficulties to set in this game. It's just hard, all the time.

For a difficulty description, I'd compare it to XCOM: Enemy Unknown on Ironman in Classic difficulty, as a reference.

Also, as Naimark said, most of the things people used to make the game easier. Stunning used to be very OP, but has since been buffed, you can't just keep one weakling alive and spend time healing everyone or "backup" arrives.

The 14 year old got Smash Bros for Wii U for his birthday and I got way too frustrated last night in not unlocking Wario because I had spent fifteen minutes getting to the point of unlocking him and I then lost that 15 minutes, which is probably the only 15 minutes I'll have this week to actually play something. I'm not sure I would like playing this.

Dungeon Dive Seven

Team Party Order

Gonzo

Misanthrope

Matt D

J.T.

After surviving the mission, I am spending my time gambling, for the record.

And heading to the Warrens. Back to short, clearly the move to Medium was a terrible idea.

First Fight: 2 Brigand Cutthroats, 2 Brigand Fusiliers: Hmm, liking this setup so far. I've made Matt D someone who can move in the order more, which works really well. I'm loving Man-At-Arms as well.

Second Fight: 1 Swine Chopper, 1 Cultist Brawler, 1 Swine Wretch, 1 Swine Drummer: Hmm. 2 fights, two pretty damn hard draws. J.T. takes a Crit, then Crits on a self heal, so that was a wash, which I'll take.

Third Fight: 1 Swing Chopper, 1 Swine Slasher, 1 Swine Drummer, 1 Swine Wretch: Also, surprised, Order is currently Matt D, J.T., Gonzo, and Mis. That is bad. Also, my stress is rising very very quickly. Also, first two attacks both Crit against us at J.T. and Gonzo. Fuuuuck. J.T. is tested and.... gets Stalwart, which is fantastic. Mis's resolve is tested as well, and goes... worse. He is now Paranoid. I'm getting crit'd a whole fucking bunch, so this is going to shit fast. J.T. gets Criticalled AGAIN, and dies of blood loss. So.... Fuck! We win, but at a severse cost

Fourth Fight: 2 Brigand Cutthroats, 1 Brigand Fusilier: Another god damn Crit against, and now Gonzo is Fearful. Gonzo is passing turns without my say, this is terrible, everything is fucking terrible. Matt is carrying us, but we have no healing with J.T. gone. We win, but I'm done, or else I'm going to lose everyone

Mission Failed

The Graveyard:

Rippa

Fowler

Piranesi

J.T.

• Like 1

Welcome to the Team, I'm sure you aren't gonna die:

DFA: Bounty Hunter

Pete: Plague Doctor

Recovery Clinic:

Matt D: At the bar, the Alcoholic sumbitch

Gonzo: Meditation at the Abbey

Misanthrope: Praying to a Higher Power

Dungeon Dive Eight

Team Party Order

Craig H

DFA

Big Fresh

Odessa

First Fight: 1 Cultist Brawler, 1 Swing Chopper, 1 Swine Wretch, 1 Cultist Acolyte: Well, shit. Hey, immediately Odessa is given a diseases from the Vomiting Wretch! Vampiric Spirits! Wonderful! And now Fresh has Spotted Fever! Everything is wonderful! This actually goes really well altogether, pretty easy win at the end of the day, save for the Disease. 

Second Fight: 2 Bone Rabble, 1 Carrion Eater: Significantly better draw. Little to no problem. 

Third Fight: 2 Webbers, 2 Spitters: Hey look everybody! Giant Spiders!

Fourth Fight: 2 Carrion Eaters, 1 Swine Wretch: Not awful. Then DFA got crited and now I'm annoyed at this battle

Fifth Fight: 3 Carrion Eaters, 1 Swine Drummer: Last fight. I'm also out of torch. But overall, fight goes quite well, and that's a wrap

Mission Succesful

Also, Drunken Matt bought a round at the Tavern and lost me 500 gold. Thanks for that.

Dungeon Dive Nine

Team Party Order

AxB

El Dragon

Matt D

Niners

First Fight: 1 Sea Maggot, 1 Pelagic Guardian, 1 Pelagic Grouper, 1 Pelagic Shaman: This looks like a very rough draw, but this went almost alarmingly smoothly. Guardians are great tanks, but we take out the Shaman and the Grouper fast, the Maggot is a non issue, and we take out hte Guardian with big attack after big attack.

Second Fight: 2 Pelagic Grouper, 1 Sea Maggot: I'll take this draw all day. Taken some damage. This is a weird team, and I'm kinda worried about it. It's soft, and it doesn't have a healer. It's basically a Glass Cannon team. That might bite me.

Third Fight: 1 Cultist Brawler, 1 Pelagic Grouper, 1 Cultist Acolyte, 1 Pelagic Shaman: Tougher. Overall, fight still goes well. This party can turn what could be long runs into short ones. But Matt is starting to feel some pain. Grave Robber's are really good, but they are soft.

Hey, Matt just had a random encounter that cured his drinking habit! Congrats Matt!

Fourth Fight: 2 Pelagic Grouper, 1 Pelagic Shaman: Smoother Sailing. Last fight next, and I've technically already completed the mission.

Fifth Fight: 1 Drowned Thrall, 1 Pelagic Guardian, 2 Shockers: Oooh.... Ooh this is rough. I'm considering heading out. Not worth a death here. I'm gonna give it a shot here. I didn't. And I died from it. Fuck, got greedy. Dammit. Finish the fight, but I'm an idiot

Mission Succesful

The Graveyard:

Rippa

Fowler

Piranesi

J.T.

El Dragon.