DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers for 1/28/16

victor

Not here, but I've seen people who were complaining about AJ "not being allowed" to use the Clash at the Rumble or RAW now complaining that they "wasted the debut" against Axel.

Like, I get WWE has burned people so many times and all... but at this point it seems like it doesn't even matter what they do, people will find an angle to turn it into some kind of negative.

I don't understand what you're complaining about. It's perfectly consistent to believe that the Styles Clash shouldn't be restricted but that if it was going to be, there should've been a much better payoff.

It seems petty, like people are just looking for a reason to claim AJ's being misused or something, when he's only been on TV three times. And the idea that it was being restricted was silly to begin with, people jumped to that conclusion on their own.

• Like 1

I don't think it was a silly idea at all. They teased it in the Jericho match, with Cole or whoever even going, "HERE COMES THE~!" and then Jericho gets out of it. It was quite logical to think, "Oh, they must be building up to that for his first singles PPV or something."

For me, it's more of a "Oh, well that was weird" than any major issue with "booking" or whatever.

Neville, I think, is viewed at in that weird upper midcard role where he's above the midcard titles but just below the WHC level.

He just jobbed to the US champ, and the other "mid card champion" is main eventing Fastlane with Roman and Brock. What about that booking says Neville is above those titles?

Not here, but I've seen people who were complaining about AJ "not being allowed" to use the Clash at the Rumble or RAW now complaining that they "wasted the debut" against Axel.

Like, I get WWE has burned people so many times and all... but at this point it seems like it doesn't even matter what they do, people will find an angle to turn it into some kind of negative.

I don't understand what you're complaining about. It's perfectly consistent to believe that the Styles Clash shouldn't be restricted but that if it was going to be, there should've been a much better payoff.

I mean...it's his finisher. Did you really expect him to go a month of winning matches without his finisher? It was teased because guys tease their finishers in the Rumble, and on Raw the match didn't have a super decisive finish so a Jericho/AJ series could happen if they chose.

Watched Smackdown and AJ basically gets in all his spots against Axel, beats up all 4 Outcasts, gets a dive spot and hits the Styles Clash. They even had Lawler doing the dismissive heel commentator thing during the match and then puts AJ over at the end.

He may have to ditch the Styles Clash simply because these guys are all too big and it doesn't look as impressive. Even Axel is a bulky guy and it didn't look like the best.

Kalisto's title reign is already bullshit. Him wrestling Neville and winning clean is just ridiculous. You could sell that if it were a bigger guy and sell the whole speed over power aspect but he's not quicker than Neville, he's not stronger than Neville, and he's not as good of a wrestler. If they were going to have him wrestle Neville and not lose, the match should have ended with interference from whatever heel he's about to feud with.

This would actually be a great time to give Big E a singles push and put him directly in a title match. New Day already has had matches with the dragons and they could develop something organic.

• Like 1

AJ rarely ever hit that properly even as a youngster. I'm sure doing it 3-4 nights a week while pushing 40 isn't the best of ideas for him. Or his opponents. If he can hit the clash on Joe and Abyss, he should be fine doing it to Curtis Axel and Chris Jericho.

If the Styles Clash isn't used as much, I'd like AJ's finish to be the Calf Killer or the Springboard Forearm.

What about the Spiral Tap? Or is that too Red Arrowish?

Didn't AJ bust the Spiral Tap out on special occasions only? I don't think it's too Red Arrowish. AJ lands back first compared to chest to chest like most top rope moves.

- New Day's greatest hits tonight: Double dutch and snow angels. "SHAME." Dr. Evil. "Rocky". "Doo-doo mouth Dwayne". "Dewey". "Don't cheer for that garbage!" Also, Titus Vadering people around is always fun, so this worked out perfectly well. Titus celebrating with the kids and their families that were invited to the show was a real nice moment, too. 

- The 1000 MPH rana into the barricade at the last second was pretty gnarly. The closeup on Neville's face after the super rana looked like he was saying "Ow... ow... ow..." These guys got a better series in them then Kalisto and Del Rio. I think it was Fenix and Drago (or was it Aerostar?) that had that trilogy in Lucha Underground that was face vs. face and all respectful but you just wanted to see them one-up each other, and they could do that here. 

- Dean and Roman doing a little Martin and Lewis bantering to start was pretty funny. They have a real natural chemistry on the mic as well as in the ring.

- Well, Axel's uninjured. 

- Fine Divas match, if brief. 

- Lucha Underground has an ad during Smackdown. I am pleased. 

- I can't believe Jericho does that Northern Chop off the top. How utterly stupid. I'm surprised he doesn't yell "HI-YA" as he does it. Can someone please tell me what that Harper leglock is again? Inverted figure four? There's gotta be some kind of name for it. Typical six-man with the chaos ending. Big Show getting slapped in the ear by Harper while he was down made me laugh. I guess if you gotta have him do something, might as well be fighting the Wyatts. The visual of him and Stroh's Man was really cool and got out just how enormous the latter is. 

• Like 1

If they push it right, I am all for a Show/Strauman program as Show's career is winding down. I really enjoy face Show, and it would be fun just to see those big hosses beat the hell out of each at Mania. It'd also be a nice moment for the montage that gets shown whenever Show gets inducted.