DVDVR Message Board

How happy are you with WWE right now?

Adam

What do you think of WWE in 2015?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Happiness level:

• Very happy - I wouldn't change a thing.
    • Happy - A few hiccups but I think they're going in the right direction.
    • Hit/Miss - I'm not too dissatisfied or bothered with the product.
    • Unhappy - I skip through certain segments and shows.
    • Very unhappy - I'm fed up with how WWE is right now. Changes needed!

They'll probably need Owens in a bigger match at Mania the way things are shaping up. Zayn is the one wrestle in NXT I'm not worried about on the main roster. He's just far too good not to at least have a decent run. Now if they don't fuck things up royally he could/should be one of their top 3 baby faces.

With all this talk about a lack of faces I was just thinking how Sandow was one of the 5 most over people in the company earlier this year, and they basically took a giant shit on him and banished him from tv. What a company.

Simple, logical booking that creates 2 main event level stars in the space of 12 months. Now watch as we get a Reigns v Cena "rematch of the decade" instead.

I hear you. A long term plan based around two young guys whose goal is to win championships. Of course, after Owens wins the briefcase he jobs 26 Raws in a row including the show he cashes it in because that way THEY NEVER SEE IT COMING. 

• Like 1

Kayfabe wise is there any reason a wrestler should keep competing after he's won the briefcase? He's already got his title shot, why risk the injury? In fact, Owens with Money in the Bank just stalking the champ and not wrestling (on tv, much) would be a cool change of pace and would make the case actually mean something.

Kayfabe wise is there any reason a wrestler should keep competing after he's won the briefcase?

Even in kayfabe terms, his job title is "wrestler". If he wants to get paid, he keeps competing. He could be a chickenshit about it, doing the Owens "screw this I'm outta here" bit when matches don't go his way, maybe start tapping the second he gets in a submission hold and cut a promo about living to fight another day, but he's still gotta show up to work.

Kayfabe wise is there any reason a wrestler should keep competing after he's won the briefcase?

Even in kayfabe terms, his job title is "wrestler". If he wants to get paid, he keeps competing. He could be a chickenshit about it, doing the Owens "screw this I'm outta here" bit when matches don't go his way, maybe start tapping the second he gets in a submission hold and cut a promo about living to fight another day, but he's still gotta show up to work.

I feel like it's been so long ago that they routinely referred to wrestlers competing for the sake of an actual income, not for "the love of entertaining the WWE universe" or some similar hackneyed bullshit.  This would make perfect sense, which is why they will likely go the complete opposite direction.

I guess I should amend my "unhappy" as I was just thinking of the flagship piece of the puzzle. When you factor in NXT and the Network I view things in a much more positive light. In fact, I'll go so far as to say that with those two pieces of the puzzle continuing to perform at their present rate, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest to never view another episode of RAW or Smackdown again. I can get my current fix from NXT and as long as they keep uploading SMW and JCP stuff, my nostalgia is in good hands.

I kinda agree with that, but it would be nice if the main roster could make me want to see matches from acts that I loved in NXT. It's gotten to the point where I'm bummed out if someone I like gets called up. Good for them for getting a chance to make big money, but I can't get excited about it as a fan. 

Back to main roster WWE, one of the other problems that they have is that they have too many 9-12 minute matches that should be 4-6 minute matches. No need for drawn out heatless heel control segments in every fucking match, 

God yes.

Ryback is an especially noteworthy victim of their formula. Is he a heel? He's a coward who gets on his bicycle, takes a cheap shot, and works a five minute chinlock session. Is he a face? He gets duped by Seth Rollins leading to a five minute chinlock session. 

WWE's one-size-fits-all formula is a star killer. That's not how you build the monster babyface he could have been. 

Kayfabe wise is there any reason a wrestler should keep competing after he's won the briefcase? He's already got his title shot, why risk the injury? In fact, Owens with Money in the Bank just stalking the champ and not wrestling (on tv, much) would be a cool change of pace and would make the case actually mean something.

I would think, diegetically, you should try and cash it in as soon as possible, maybe even the main event after you win it or on raw the next night.

I'm weird.  Or at least I come at this from a weird point of view.

I always find these type of threads intriguing because I don't keep up with WWE for the wrestling anymore.  At least not per se.  I still can appreciate wrestlers' in-ring skills, and there was definitely a period in my fandom when I cared most about the quality of matches.  Not saying I grew out of it or anything snobby though.  I can still enjoy a good match, and  I do think it helps their characters to be decent in the ring.  However, it's just not what I care most about when I do watch it.  I don't think I have the right attention span to follow it closely now.  

I find it a bit funny that I've come to this mindset when I think they have one of their best rosters of in-ring talent.  For example, I believe a fair amount of posters on this forum would say they are not a fan of the Miz's wrestling prowess.  Yet, I think the in-ring talent is so good right now, that if WWE threw out Miz versus just about anyone (Cesaro, Ziggler, Kalisto, Del Rio, etc.) for about 15 minutes each week, I'm sure most of those matches would be in the range of okay to good a majority of time.  No joke.  The problem for me is they probably wouldn't have given me much of a reason to care about those 15 minute matches each week.

I watch wrestling less frequently now, but I still check in on the WWE for the spectacle.  The storyline surprises, over-the-top drama, and sometimes even humor would be the things that would keep me interested and entertained now.  I need new storylines to get me to pay attention to why these people are fighting or in a string of matches(not a feud...strings of matches).  They used to give midcard guys storylines.  Bad ones sometimes, but a reason to care is a reason.  Oh well.

[Note: I don't follow NXT]

Edited by _MJ_
  • Like 1

NXT is like college football.  It's very entertaining but just know that your favorite players will be gone after a couple years and it's time to cheer for someone else.

The transition from college football to NFL depends on ability of the player. The transition from NXT to the main roster depends on whether corporate likes you enough and corporate is a guy who didn't want to hire Gail Kim because he did not know that men were into Asian women and hates his own business, a man who outright stated that women have to be models or conventionally attractive to wrestle there, and bunch old timers who hate those damned millenials.

I'm weird.  Or at least I come at this from a weird point of weird.

I always find these type of threads intriguing because I don't keep up with WWE for the wrestling anymore.  At least not per se.  I still can appreciate wrestlers' in-ring skills, and there was definitely a period in my fandom when I cared most about the quality of matches.  Not saying I grew out of it or anything snobby though.  I can still enjoy a good match, and  I do think it helps their characters to be decent in the ring.  However, it's just not what I care most about when I do watch it.  I don't think I have the right attention span to follow it closely now too.  

I find it a bit funny that I've come to this mindset when I think they have one of their best rosters of in-ring talent.  For example, I believe a fair amount of posters on this forum would say they are not a fan of the Miz's wrestling prowess.  Yet, I think the in-ring talent is so good right now, that if WWE threw out Miz versus just about anyone (Cesaro, Ziggler, Kalisto, Del Rio, etc.) for about 15 minutes each week, I'm sure most of those matches would be in the range of okay to good a majority of time.  No joke.  The problem for me is they probably wouldn't have given me much of a reason to care about those 15 minute matches each week.

I watch wrestling less frequently now, but I still check in on the WWE for the spectacle.  The storyline surprises, over-the-top drama, and sometimes even humor would be the things that would keep me interested and entertained now.  I need new storylines to get me to pay attention to why these people are fighting or in a string of matches(not a feud...strings of matches).  They use to even give midcard guys storylines.  Bad ones sometimes, but a reason to care is a reason.  Oh well.

[Note: I don't follow NXT]

I can't imagine this is a weird point of view, I feel almost the same way. To me, it's as simple as giving people a reason to be emotionally invested in the people who are fighting in the ring. There are so many ways to do this, but its just that. Give me a reason to tune in and watch compelling characters build to a match that I want to see who will win. Hell, I am easy. I like wrestling weddings and comedy segments and serious feuds, I just want to be entertained. I cannot, however, watch something that angers me and just makes me hold my fingers to my temples as I watch. And I am talking main roster stuff here.  

I'm only sort of half-kidding, but I would get mild amusement from a March Madness-esque board tournament between a bunch of suggestions for what the one thing WWE most needs to change to improve.  What would win a #1 vs. #16 matchup between "No more 50/50 booking" and "Move the announce tables away from the ring"?!?!?  Call it "The DVDVR Christmas List Tournament Extravaganza!"

• Like 4

I'm only sort of half-kidding, but I would get mild amusement from a March Madness-esque board tournament between a bunch of suggestions for what the one thing WWE most needs to change to improve.  What would win a #1 vs. #16 matchup between "No more 50/50 booking" and "Move the announce tables away from the ring"?!?!?  Call it "The DVDVR Christmas List Tournament Extravaganza!"

I absolutely love this idea, but it would probably give RIPPA a heart attack. That wouldn't be a very nice Christmas present for him. 

The only Xmas present I want from this board (aside from more DVDVRs, which might give Rippa a heart attack indeed) is for everyone to keep the goddamn WWE bitching in this thread and this thread only.

So should we just close the rest of the WWE section, or...

Also, I would like to cancel my vote for Very unhappy and write in vote for "Extraordinarily Unhappy"

• Like 2