DVDVR Message Board

Grand Theft Auto V Talk.

Boy, we really had no chance with just the three of us doing it last night.

I seem to recall when i did it a few weeks ago with folks here, someone went up on the roof of one od the buildings to snipe and shoot down copters.

Well the first time we did it when there were only three wasn't helped by me falling off the roof trying to snipe the copter.

The 2nd one would have been completed if it wasn't glitched since JT would have gotten away... if his wanted level would have actually been working

One thing I don't like about the online mode is how psychotic the cops are and how it feels completely arbitrary at times for what earns you a 1, 2, 3, or 4 star level. I accidentally (no, really!) ran my car into the wooden gate at a guard's booth in front of some military complex that earned me an instant 4 star wanted level. Other times, it feels like when I rob a store for shits and giggles, I could get anywhere from 1, 2 or 3 stars.

EDIT: The cops are also really accurate, which I guess is how it should be. This isn't news to you guys, but the jump in their difficulty from offline mode to online mode is a little surprising. I don't seem to be able to fuck with the cops as much online.

The cops are a lot less psychotic than in say something like Vice City, where they will start laying out spike traps and kamikazing your car even at 2 stars.  The best method to lose them is to get off the streets or in the air.  You're not usually going to be able to straight outrun them in a car.  Get into an alley, garage, reservoir, underpass.  If there is just one or two cars after you, sometimes it is  easier to just get out and kill them with a shotgun or rifle.  If you're out of the city just go through the desert.

Once your level is high enough you can call Lester to have him wipe out your stars.

The number of stars you get for robbing stores stacks up.  So if you rob 1, you get 1 star, if you rob 2, you get 2, etc.  Also the shopowners will become more aware and there is a better chance they will pull a gun on you instead of emptying out the register.  An easy method for quick cash/RP that will probably help you early on is to find a store right next to your garage.  Go out and rob it and then head back to your garage to wipe out the wanted level.  It's an easy $1-2K and few hundred RP.

• Like 1

Wearing a mask helps to alievate the clerks pulling a gun on you since they dont recgonize you from shop to shop.

I also realized that when I shot the clerk - I would have a 3 star leaving the store.

If I let the clerk live - it was only 2 star. And it was that through all the stores.

Also, it really helps to learn how to fly a helicopter.  2 stars means no helicopters, and apparently cops on the ground can't look up, so jump in a helicopter and go up and you'll lose your wanted level quick. 

• Like 1

Wearing a mask helps to alievate the clerks pulling a gun on you since they dont recgonize you from shop to shop.

I also realized that when I shot the clerk - I would have a 3 star leaving the store.

If I let the clerk live - it was only 2 star. And it was that through all the stores.

Game time, wearing a mask, and changing outfits has been proven to help tremendously. If you rob a store multiple times within the same game week without wearing a mask, the shopkeeper will recognize you and shoot you on sight.

It used to not matter to much until a patch came that improved their firepower.  Now those fuckers pack sawn-offs.

And what Dolfan said.  If you are at a four star wanted level or higher, using a helicopter or an airplane will help you evade the law but your best bet is to make for the Metro tunnels construction site (you will know what I am talking about if you have already done the Vangelico Jewelry Store Job) because the cops usually won't follow you all the way though the tunnels. 

This is why the best way to tackle the "rob every store on the map" achievement is to hold up the stores in the boonies first and save the stores in the city for last.   When you rob your 15th or so store, your starting wanted level will jump from three to four stars and your last few stores will automatically get you a five star wanted level.  Evading a four or five start wanted level in Blaine County is next to impossible even with a helicopter, especially when you've got multiple choppers looking for you.

The keys to success are using vehciles with bullet proof tires (cops will put out spike strips at three stars and become uncanny marksmen at four stars and above) and making a b-line for the tunnels as soon as you can when making a getaway.

Dolfan's correct about the choppers. It's your best move if you have a one- or two-star level. Three and above, don't bother.

If you're in a car and not close to a chopper, nearly any tunnel will do. Railroad tunnels are usually pretty good. The tunnels int the viaduct work most times, but not always. The trick to get away from them is to find a way to shake them quickly - if I'm on a freeway, I look for those little holes in the concrete barrier that allow you to fall down to another level of freeway. You won't lose your wanted level, but you will gain position (and time) on them.

And if you even look at the military base the wrong way, it's four stars. If you fly over it or the prison, it's four stars. Immediately.

Lester getting rid of your stars works at any level of "stardom." But you can only do it every so often. I'll occasionally call and get rid of stars in Freemode if I really like the position I'm in and don't want to give it up.

If the cop van puts out spike strips, go around it on the narrower side. There'll be a wider side (where the spike strips are) and usually a narrower side if they don't park against a barrier. Take the narrower opening.

Oh, another cop evasion technique - if you have 2 stars or less, head for the hills. Go up a mountain and they'll have trouble following you. You can go for a bit until you shake them from your radar, then get in a valley until the wanted level goes away. Doesn't work with choppers, 'cause they know where you are.

I did learn while fucking around last night that no cop will follow me on train tracks into a tunnel.

I also forgot how much I love the West Coast Classics station. It may be my all time favorite GTA station. It would be an all time favorite playlist if there were more summer jams on it.

Robert, I didn't mean to just leave in the middle of our conversation, but I have a habit of shutting off my Xbox as soon as I see Michael start up his antics in single-player, so I did, then thought "hey, wait, that'll cut off the chat, too, dumbass," but by then, it was too late.

And Rippa got put through a baptism by fire, too - we ambled into a serious firefight about two seconds after arriving in Freemode. It was on and on often. But he was the damn star, just mowing people down.

What I was trying to tell you about cops in Freemode, Phil, is we kinda treat them like house flies. We sorta try to shoo them away, maybe, and that's it. They're gonna kill ya, but you can't let them take your mind off the white dot in front of you. It's all about killing dots, not killing cops. Cops kill you, you respawn, you go about killing more dots. How many times you reckon the cops kill us in an average Freemode session? About 20 times apiece? Fighting with cops is pointless and takes attention away from the true evil in the world, everyone else on the map.

Robert and I got into a serious firefight late in the night before Robert started spanking this one poor dude who had a bounty while I stood there like Chester going  "Get 'em, Spike! That's my pal Spike! He's tough!" 

I did not know until we were done with deathmatches that I had the "don't target friends" on the entire time. I'd forgotten about it. That's what I'll blame my deathmatch suckiness on.

Oh, Robert and I also ran into a guy whose Zentorno could not be blown up. He could be killed either in or out of the car, but the car could not be blown up. I planted three RPGs and two grenades in it from almost point-blank range and nothing happened. He drove up to me and killed me with a sticky bomb while staying right next to me. We reported him.

I had a really bad night all around, really bad, but the only time I felt like things were getting truly shitty is when I was being dominated by this man:

iws091.jpg

• Like 2

There's an indestructable car glitch now. Drive into LS Customs, press Start and find new session, then when you're coming down from the cloud spam the fuck out of Y or Triangle. That easy, indestructible car.

You can still be shot through the window though.

Apparently the youtube guys who posted the dead hooker car duplication glitches (and the Under Map God Mode glitch) have been banned from GTA Online. Good.

• Like 2

As awful a night i had in DMs, getting three musket kills to Dan and Kelvin while they were driving liberators was pretty cool

Was it just me ir were everyones connections horrible? By end of the night, almost everyone was cutting out on the mic. I couldnt understand phil or jt at all.

It happened all so innoccently. We all spawned into the Freemode that JT and Mis were already in.

Dolfan was right next to me so I hitched a ride figured I would wander off to amm-u-nation, restock and then hit my apartment were I could watch a little bit and then call it a night.

We oneshotkill and Skittlesboy (or whatever his fucking name actually was) decided to roll-up on us on their bikes. Dolfan ran over one and I shot the other and then I killed both when they respawned and suddenly I had new best friends. The part I enjoyed the most was me, Dolfan and stout being in the fire fight with them and JT and mis with their thumbs up their asses at the Simeon car :-)

Highlight was probably sniping oneshotkill as he was standing at Los Santos. Mainly because of the irony...

• Like 2

Thumbs up our asses?  THAT CAR WAS RIGGED TO EXPLODE~!

RIP Celtic22Storm.  He went boom in my booby trapped Ford Mustang O'Death.  Mis and I were contending with a couple of assholes including some guy named NinjaBoy or some shit.  Then Robert showed up and was like, "Damn, we're in it already?"

@Jstout:  How could that guy aim his gun?  Doesn't he have a crazy eye.

The night went slightly south after that one guy got to the Special Crate (damn!), but I think we ended up in the plus overall.  Between our hightly coordinated rocket and sniper attack on the players chasing after the train (Burke is our new Heavy Weapons guy.  Dude likes explosives a lot.) and the ambush in El Burro after dude grabbed the crate, we put up ridiculous body count figures.

I was pleased by our improved response to fighter jets since the rumble with the CoS.  We fired enough rounds to damage the Lazers and forced those two douchebags to fight a ground war that they cheerfully ran away from.  I think that SharkAttack joined whatisface's crew during all of that.  See, we bring people together!

• Like 2

Was it just me ir were everyones connections horrible? By end of the night, almost everyone was cutting out on the mic. I couldnt understand phil or jt at all.

I was crapping out more than usual even for my shitty, shitty router.

I got "You guys are total d-bags" PMs from SharkAttack and Blizzy overnight, so mission accomplished.  We did what we set out to do.  You guys may see some negative rep coming your way!

As awful a night i had in DMs, getting three musket kills to Dan and Kelvin while they were driving liberators was pretty cool

It came and went for me. It was like the room was split. Sometimes I couldn't hear Mis and J.T., and other times they were coming in clear as a bell and I couldn't hear the others.

I got a "You guys are total d-bags" PMs from SharkAttack and Blizzy overnight, so mission accomplished.  We did what we set out to do.  You guys may see some negative rep coming your way!

I'm jealous. I feel like I have finally arrived when I get pissy PMs from people.

I didn't really think about it until J.T.s post, but I really did stick to explosives all night. I think it was a desperation move because I got my ass handed to me for the first hour. Sharkattack and Onemancamperkiller (or whatever) just got the better of me. They then took off toward Fort Zancudo to get jets. The rest of the guys were still fighting in the city - my dumbass decides to split off and go up north to get some revenge.

This Einstein's plan? Call in a Merryweather helicopter, slap 5 sticky bombs on it, and try to....wait for it.....fly into the jet. I honestly got a lot closer than I thought I would. I managed to somehow dodge a couple of his rockets before he got close enough that I thought I could blow it up, but I just ended up committing suicide. Oh well, even in failure, it was fun trying.

And then my night took a turn. I got my two favorite kills so far. We were up fighting on a hill off the highway in Blaine County. Mis and I spent a while tag-teaming police choppers with miniguns. I hear J.T. say that they've got scopes trained on a ton of guys riding the train. I join them and we wait for the guys to 'round the bend.

As it turns out, they're all riding alongside the train in cars. Since I suck with a sniper rifle, I missed killing two of the guys. I say screw it on the third guy and pull out the RPG. I lead the shot, and I'll be damned if the dude didn't drive right into the exploding rocket. It will be a million years before I pull that off again, but damn did it feel good.

The last assholes I got were two guys in a red Zentorno. They were basically doing a 2 mile loop on that highway, like they were taunting us or something. It was seriously like timing enemy A.I. patterns in Metal Gear. Just give it enough time, and they'll follow the same path. Anyway, I probably wasted 2 clips of sniper ammo trying to shoot them out of the car. Once again, fuck this. I drive my Entity down to the highway, coat the road with 5-6 sticky bombs, then drive back up the mountain and wait.

I pull out the sniper so I can see them coming. Sure enough, they're southbound once again. They get to the intersection and u-turn onto the northbound lanes. I follow them with the scope until they're right in the middle of my pile of joy, press left on the d-pad, and those bastards' car skidded fire like the Delorean going back in time.

• Like 6

Rippa,  I'm glad you got to experience the best feeling in the GTA world:  Seeing people flee because they just can't beat you. 

And then shooting them as they run away. 

• Like 4

My evening also ended on a high note as that dumb ass in the white suit climbed the ladder to the roof I was on - didn't see me so I shot him multiple times in the back and then went on my merry way.

And if I had been in Freemode by myself - I so would have been the guy who waited for everyone to start battling with the jets so he could sneak his car into Los Santos just to take it to Simeon.

• Like 1

Robert, I didn't mean to just leave in the middle of our conversation, but I have a habit of shutting off my Xbox as soon as I see Michael start up his antics in single-player, so I did, then thought "hey, wait, that'll cut off the chat, too, dumbass," but by then, it was too late.

And Rippa got put through a baptism by fire, too - we ambled into a serious firefight about two seconds after arriving in Freemode. It was on and on often. But he was the damn star, just mowing people down.

What I was trying to tell you about cops in Freemode, Phil, is we kinda treat them like house flies. We sorta try to shoo them away, maybe, and that's it. They're gonna kill ya, but you can't let them take your mind off the white dot in front of you. It's all about killing dots, not killing cops. Cops kill you, you respawn, you go about killing more dots. How many times you reckon the cops kill us in an average Freemode session? About 20 times apiece? Fighting with cops is pointless and takes attention away from the true evil in the world, everyone else on the map.

Robert and I got into a serious firefight late in the night before Robert started spanking this one poor dude who had a bounty while I stood there like Chester going  "Get 'em, Spike! That's my pal Spike! He's tough!" 

I did not know until we were done with deathmatches that I had the "don't target friends" on the entire time. I'd forgotten about it. That's what I'll blame my deathmatch suckiness on.

Oh, Robert and I also ran into a guy whose Zentorno could not be blown up. He could be killed either in or out of the car, but the car could not be blown up. I planted three RPGs and two grenades in it from almost point-blank range and nothing happened. He drove up to me and killed me with a sticky bomb while staying right next to me. We reported him.

I had a really bad night all around, really bad, but the only time I felt like things were getting truly shitty is when I was being dominated by this man:

I think I actually dropped off before you did, so no problem.  I was trying to run that hippo guy off before I dropped, but he just wouldn't leave.  You'd think after we killed him about 60 times he would've got the hint.  As it was, I only managed about 2 hours sleep.  At the least, I've gotta figure that getting going without sleep to take care of the injured kitten we found yesterday has gotta wash away some of my freemode sins.

I think I did a little better than average.  Had a couple bad spells, like first contact with the folks down by the beach.  We held our own though, even though they had us outnumbered, and had already driven 3 guys into passive.

Zentorno guy was really annoying.  That's only the second time I've ever reported somebody.  At least the damn thing wasn't bulletproof.  I shot him right in the face with my assault SG, and it made a nice bloodspray pattern on the windshield.

I got a "You guys are total d-bags" PMs from SharkAttack and Blizzy overnight, so mission accomplished.  We did what we set out to do.  You guys may see some negative rep coming your way!

I had a really hard time understanding some folks, but I could hear others clearly.  At one point Rippa was shouting at me to pick him up in my car, and I couldn't understand a word of it.