DVDVR Message Board

[MM15] R1: KAZUCHIKA OKADA vs. DRAGON LEE

KAZUCHIKA OKADA vs. DRAGON LEE  

76 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

I was thinking that Okada vs Tanahashi would be the match to lead with for Okada or Tanahashi, but it probably wouldn't happen for whatever reason. Glad to see it on here.

Y'all can blame the multiple people who nominated Dragon Lee (while I think only one person said Titan)

So I decided to give a fresh face (for the tournament) a shot

I freely admit I am voting on perception, but Okada is so pimped I am almost always disappointed when I watch him. I feel like he might have objectively better matches, but I enjoy watching Dragon Lee a little more.

I could've sworn I posted in this thread. Did it get deleted?

Not by me.

I am too busy trying to influence the Rampage Brown/Itami matchup

Okada's dropkick alone would get him far in this tournament.

Going by the video Dragon Lee is great.  But Okada is really, really great.  It helps that he's in matches that align more with what I like in a match.  If he's this good now, I can only imagine how he'd be in a year or two.

I don't get Tanahashi and I really don't get Okada, he is like a blander Tanahashi with bad looking submissions he can't always apply correctly, that short arm clothesline is such bullshit. Dragon Lee is fucking great, I wish more people saw the Indy trios we reviewed on Segunda Caida where Dragon Lee worked as NJ invader in a WAR match. Go Lee!!

• Like 1

Man, I want to agree that a short arm clothesline is such a bullshit finisher, but it's been sold like death so much that, at least in the Tanahashi match, I was going nuts for every time Okada couldn't pull it off. I then questioned how we got to a point where the short arm clothesline could even be sold like death.

In all honesty, the dropkick is far lamer. Like, it's a great dropkick, but lots of dudes have had great dropkicks. I just don't get it.

Man, I want to agree that a short arm clothesline is such a bullshit finisher, but it's been sold like death so much that, at least in the Tanahashi match, I was going nuts for every time Okada couldn't pull it off. I then questioned how we got to a point where the short arm clothesline could even be sold like death.

In all honesty, the dropkick is far lamer. Like, it's a great dropkick, but lots of dudes have had great dropkicks. I just don't get it.

You're a "I don't get Nakamura" away from us no longer being friends.

Dragon Lee is really great but Okada had a pretty special year.

Why hate the dropkick? It's not a finisher but he gets such ludicrous air, freezes, then pops them in the head. It's an art form and he builds up to the move with psychology, so it gets an extra big pop on top of the pure athleticism involved.

It's pro wrestling.  The Rock got over an elbow drop as a finisher like Hogan got over a legdrop.  Strike enough fear into it and it works.

The percentage of matches where the People's Elbow finished someone is far lower than the percentage of matches where the Rock Bottom finished someone. Shit, the Rock probably finished more people with his shitty Sharpshooter than he did with the People's Elbow.

That last one is probably hyperbole, but it feels that way.