DVDVR Message Board

[MM15] R1: KAZUCHIKA OKADA vs. DRAGON LEE

KAZUCHIKA OKADA vs. DRAGON LEE  

76 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

Disagree. They're lying there all the time it takes him to pose and run around the ring. Clearly it was the Rock Bottom that put them down. There's a reason they call it an ice cream sundae and not a cherry sundae.

And how sad is it that we're talking about the Rock in this thread?

As far as gaining larger exposure and growing leaps and bounds, Dragon Lee went from relative CMLL unknown to already eclipsing his brother Mistico II (aka Misticlon) and literally becoming a Star as a result of En Busca De Un Idolo. Okada was already at the top in NJPW so his position was already set. 

I'm voting for Dragon Lee.

Okada is another guy I have avoided due to Meltzer's overt praise. I also don't buy the Rainmaker as a finisher either so different strokes for different folks. 

It looks absolutely devastating. I don't get the hate for it, especially when he's up against a luchador and lucha libre has a decent number of moves that don't look very painful and require a tonne of assistance from the receiver. There are some valid criticisms of Okada and I don't think he's as good as the Meltzer praise leads one to believe, but hurty looking moves ain't one of the issues in my mind. That awful submission where he leaves his opponent's arm free right by his head drives me nuts, sure. The Rainmaker though? Nah.

Saying all that, I really do like Dragon Lee. He's one of my favourite luchadores going today.

• Like 1

Okada is one of my favorites warts and all.  He has crazy charisma, has a well defined character, clearly wants to improve, and has dat dropkick.  Sure he forgets to sell sometimes.  He has a finisher that is a lot like the spear, the burden is on the taker of the move to make it look good.  He can hit it clean, but if his opponent doesn't sell it well it doesn't really look like anything.  I always thought that it would look better with a leg sweep, but that is coming from someone who likes likes the osoto gari and thinks it could be a wrestling finisher if hit with enough flourish.

I don't even know what Dragon Lee looks like.(Didn't get a chance to watch the posted match)

Okada gets my vote.

Now you're just talking crazy.

Course, we also bought this as a finisher for  years:

tumblr_m7cm55Mhq71qhjbxeo1_400.gif

Without the added "pulling the guy into it"

There's a world of a difference between a beast like Kobashi, Kawada or Stan Hansen and a dude like Okada.

I mean, don't get me wrong, the finisher is over for me because of how it's been treated, whether it hits and kills a dude or guys try everything to avoid it. I just happen to think it's in the same ballpark as the AA.

And goddamn, yeah, that is a beautiful lariat.