DVDVR Message Board

NBA - 2014-15 Regular Season - 2nd Half

ChesterCopperpot

It's insane to look back and see he was an MVP candidate in New York until they traded for Melo.

Eh, his knees gave out. The risk everyone knew was there when he signed.

Still, I think he might be able to help a contender that needs a solid back up big for ten minutes a night.

Yeah, he's on the Penny Hardaway, Grant Hill, Antonio McDyess list of guys who won't be remembered that fondly, but could have been special if their bodies didn't betray them.  Amar'e was one of the best players in the league when he was healthy, but he could never stay healthy for more than a season.  Him and Steve Nash were one of the best combinations ever, their skill sets were perfect compliments and lead to some very entertaining basketball. 

Hill was special. He never had much talent around him in Detroit but he was fucking amazing. Go back and check his numbers before the ankle injury. And he was mostly healthy before that.

Grant Hill might have been a top 20-25 player all time if he didn't his ankle wasn't put together with sawdust and duct tape.  Has anyone seen his ankle?  He took his shoe and sock off on an episode of Open Court and his ankle looked like it was taken off a 3-year-old corpse.  It was gruesome looking.

I will remember Amar'e but only because I have watched many games from his days on the Suns where he was completely unstoppable. I've seen him dominate some all-time greats. It's too bad.

Speaking of quality big men. Celtics are reportedly interested in Cousins. He's a bit crazy but extremely talented. I'd take him.

Hill was basically a less athletic (but still an amazing world class athlete) Lebron minus sixty pounds of muscle. He had that same skill set that is just unfuckingfair.

It really feels like the basketball gods used Hill as a prototype for the small forward, realized they were using the wrong materials, then recalibrated accordingly to give us LeBron.

• Like 1

Looks like Amar'e to Dallas is all but official.  I should point out I love this move.  Having him fill that gap at the 4 or 5 for 20-23 minutes a game will do wonders for the bench.  He and Charlie V should absolutely be a frontcourt pairing that is used often in the right matchups.

Looks like Amar'e to Dallas is all but official.  I should point out I love this move.  Having him fill that gap at the 4 or 5 for 20-23 minutes a game will do wonders for the bench.  He and Charlie V should absolutely be a frontcourt pairing that is used often in the right matchups.

It's a good move- but why should the NBA allow a team to announce they're agreeing to terms with a player after he clears waivers to bypass the salary cap?  We know the Mavericks wouldn't dream of claiming Amar'e off waivers and have to deal with that huge salary, but letting a team sign a player on the waiver wire to league minimum before they clear waivers is all right?

If that Tim Duncan, Grant Hill, Tracy McGrady team had happen in Orlando, I can't even begin to think how differently the NBA would have been during that time, especially if all three had stayed healthy.

Oh, how I wish it would had happen.

Sixers have a neat bonus for people who renew their ST's: a free swingman (the more expensive and high quality replica) jersey for next year (and it will be the new one). I want a perk where you get to be Franklin for a game.

If that Tim Duncan, Grant Hill, Tracy McGrady team had happen in Orlando, I can't even begin to think how differently the NBA would have been during that time, especially if all three had stayed healthy.

Oh, how I wish it would had happen.

Glad it didn't. It just feels like the DeVos family got what it deserved. 

I think even a healthy T-Mac and Hill could have done some damage. It could have been a little like MJ and Pippen. We discussed how great Hill was but for a while there T-Mac vs. Kobe was a REAL debate. He was so fucking talented. He had his moments on the Rockets too. I'll never forget his 13 points in 33 seconds.

Actually, that's another one. T-Mac and Yao should have been something.

I think even a healthy T-Mac and Hill could have done some damage. It could have been a little like MJ and Pippen. We discussed how great Hill was but for a while there T-Mac vs. Kobe was a REAL debate. He was so fucking talented. He had his moments on the Rockets too. I'll never forget his 13 points in 33 seconds.

Actually, that's another one. T-Mac and Yao should have been something.

You know... there are moments a Spurs fan tries to forget and then somebody has to bring one of them up....

13 points in 33 seconds

Game 6 of the 2013 Finals

Ginobili fouling Dirk

Hakeem abusing the Admiral while Rodman sulks in the corner

Malone knocking Dave out

I know there are more but those are the ones that sting the most. 

The Spurs have had some heartbreaking losses but I feel zero pity. Four rings negates all heartbreak. It's just insane to think that they had some bad breaks over the years and they could have six or seven rings very easily.

They've also had the most interesting arc of any major sports team. They were flat out villains ten years ago, with Bruce Bowen trying to roll ankles and the Suns series and etc. I liked them more than the Lakers but that's about it. They also played a pretty ugly type of basketball (aside from Manu's freewheeling nature).

But who doesn't love the Spurs now? Pop's the best coach and one of the funniest and best personalities. They've played the most fun style of basketball for years, except they're now challenged by teams with Spurs roots that are adding their own flair, which has made the NBA so awesome to watch. Duncan's one of the 10 best players of all-time and seems like a great person. Tony Parker and Manu are wonderful.

Such a great heel-to-face arc. Much love.

And yes, that T-Mac/Yao tandem could have been insanely great. They had that 22-game win streak but Yao got hurt that season. They also had the Lakers on the ropes the next year before Yao went down again.

Yao was a friggin' amazing player.