DVDVR Message Board

[March Madness 2015] The case for ...

Matt D

We are now in mid-January. Every year March Madness, while being a maddening blast of a time, has one major flaw. A huge majority of us come into the voting notes with our decisions already made. Our minds are made up and a lot of us vote and then read the thread. Maybe that'll help us in the next round but it means a lot of wrestlers don't get a fair shake and it sort of takes away some of the value in discussion and debate. 

I'm hoping we can rectify that this year. Everyone has their favorites, wrestlers that they think should either make the initial pool or that should make it deep into the tournament. In a lot of ways with the absence of Bryan for most of the voting period and Punk for all of it, and the neutering of last year's champ, Cesaro, the field is wide open. At the same time, I think it's been a slightly bigger year than usual for New Japan and CMLL and things like Lucha Underground and Beyond Wrestling have gotten some buzz. 

For now I think we'll contain it to this note. If the mods want to break it out more as we go to a subfolder or what not, I do think it could be a really fun way to talk about a number of wrestlers in depth. Remember, we go March to March for this and the criteria is pretty much anything you damn well please. It comes down to "Base enjoyment" for the most part. Post matches, podcast links, promos, tweets, whatever you think helps to make the case for the person you're pushing for. 

MY RULE.

These threads(I may just break them up into US/CANADA/MISC Europe, JAPAN, and MEXICO) can ONLY be used for pimping. Not debate. The debate must be saved up for March. So just make a case for a guy without comparison.

Rush

C1AfGiq.jpg

Los-Ingobernables.png

kjr9DT0.gif

The case for: He's been a constant, week to week, enjoyable worker in CMLL. He might have been the most charismatic wrestler in the world during the time period. For those who don't know, he's a long haired, pretty boy with Perro Aguayo's fuzzy boots and brawling tendencies who comes out to a modified version of Benoit's music and is part of CMLL's Ingobernables faction. They're basically tecnicos who have completely turned their back on their traditional style of wrestling, young punks who are so irritating and frustrating that the rudo-leaning crowd had turned upon them even before they really went over the top with the gimmick. They still face off against rudos though and they carry with them this maddening sense of entitlement that the crowds should still be cheering them.

He's the most genuinely hatable wrestler in the world right now, at least in my mind. You just want to see this punk get his comeuppance so much. It's not just the mannerisms though and it's not just that they've put him over a lot of guys. A lot of it is in his work. He's very, very good at looking strong even during the mandatory beat-down segments that a tecnico has to go through (half the time during the year he was teaming with more traditional tecnicos, so the lines were always a little blurred). He's great at knowing just how much to fight back to make himself look like a force while still putting over the beating he's getting, which makes everyone look better. (It's something that Ultimo Guerrero is very good at too and I actually need to see some of their pairings late into the year). What this ultimately means is that he's better than anyone in the world during the time period at inspiring other wrestlers to really work hard against him. The way he revitalized Shocker's career, for instance, was amazing. They must have built to Rush vs Casas facing off in over twenty matches but every single time they came at each other with massive intensity and it felt special each time.

He's also a great big match worker, with two massive hair matches in the time period (one vs Shocker and one vs Casas, both well worth watching), and some big trios and tag title matches too. He also had to work in front of the same crowds each and every week, usually against the same or similar opponents so there was a need to switch up matches and keep things compelling, which he managed most of the times. I have criticized him for using some of the same sequences but he'd do it usually in two different arenas, try it out in one and then use it in the other, which really, for an organization that's more about live gates than TV, is more than acceptable.

Downside: He went down with an injury in November so that'll hurt his content. He'll end up out a quarter of the period in question. I think that's countered by the fact he has so much on tape for the rest of the period, often times two matches weekly. I do think he'll have a tendency to no sell big things sometimes in order to payoff a key moment in a match, but it's not all the time and usually in key moments. When he'll no sell a German or something, it drives me nuts, but it's relatively rare and usually reserved for meaningful moments.

Key matches to watch:

vs Shocker hair vs Hair.

vs Casas hair vs hair

w/Mascara vs Shocker and Casas for CMLL Tag Titles

w/Sombra vs Shocker and Casas for CMLL Tag Titles

Additional reading: I've written up the entirety of the Shocker feud (most of which is outside of the time period, save for what happened in March) and almost the entirety of the Casas feud up to the hair match and can provide that to anyone who wants it.

• Like 4

Luke Harper

VUqX3vN.gif

Luke-Harper.jpg

Luke_Harper_Champion.png

The case for: Versatility, which is, when you think of it, sort of amazing considering the gimmick that he has which should be completely limiting, but here's Harper, putting on great performances week in and week out, in trios matchs, in tags, and in singles. He had success in all three roles, including holding both the tag and IC belts and participating in show-stealing matches in all three roles. He was also a heater for the Wyatts and had some fun character work as the oddball assassin associated with the Authority. Was he the best WWE TV Worker this year? I'm not sure, there are other good options but he's definitely the one who best found that middle ground between the outlandish and the serene. 

He can take your head off with a clothesline, work over a body part with a deranged intensity, sell exasperation and disbelief as well as anyone on the roster, and completely destroy his own body on a bump or a dive. I think he's as effective as anyone in the roster in his specific role and maybe as anyone in the world, which is even more impressive than it sounds because his role is broader than you'd think. He's a bright spot in every show he's on.

Downsides: He was off PPV a few matches out of the year, though I'd argue that he still served a role as muscle on those PPVs. It's a weird mark against him but due to the voting period, the Elimination Chamber tag is out and that's a potential MOTY for WWE in 2014, so that's kind of a shame. A longer run with the IC belt would have given him a few more good matches, but he still has a chance over the next month and a half to perform; he's someone who could go a while in the rumble, for instance.

Matches to watch:

Harper vs Ziggler IC title Ladder match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtSjV7INpgc

Harper vs Ambrose IC Title (In spanish for some reason!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2q-gAzZuoQ

Wyatts vs Usos - Battleground (probably best to see the network but here's a crummy version from youtube):

Harper vs Cena - 3/24 Raw

With any of these, people should really follow up and add more points/matches when applicable, btw. I'm limited to five youtubes per post and am trying to keep it to 4 really.

• Like 4

I'm posting to both follow this topic and to remind myself that at some point this weekend, I need to sit down and make a strong case for Sasha Banks. The other people I think should win (Kidd, Zayn, Nakamura) will probably be covered by other people. 

• 2 weeks later...

Last years result was a travesty.  Multiple time champion Daniel Bryan, who had one of the best pro wrestling years anyone has ever had, lost to a mid carder who can't talk and has a shiny head.  Roman Reigns made it farther than Brock Lesnar (maybe?).

Now, you might say I am breaking Jae's rule here, but that simply isn't true.  I am not comparing wrestlers or attempting to debate.  I am simply making the case for a protest vote.  A vote to show these fools just how wrong they were!  A vote to destabilize the very idea of March Madness!  A vote for:

120614-UFC-CM-Punk-TV-Pi2.vadapt.620.hig

Pardon the lack of production values since I'm bad at the internet.  Here is a hand done picture of my guy post getting powerbombed on the apron by Kevin Owens.

0-<-< 

Sami Zayn

The Case For: Sami would be my choice for best in-ring storytelling during the voting period of the guys I have seen.  Sami does a wonderful job demonstrating the range of emotions that come from engaging in sport: elation, desperation, emotional devastation.  This is not the same as selling (which Sami is also good, at although you could argue he can go over the top at times) but demonstrates an engagement with his performance you seldom see inside the squared circle.  Sami also pulls off one of the most difficult roles in wrestling (as simply put) the white meat babyface to a level reached by such luminaries as Ricky Steamboat or WCW Dustin Rhodes while never really coming off as lame.  The earnest nature of the portrayal is what makes him stand out against a field of guys who can't pull that off without coming off as sappy.  The storytelling also comes out during his match ups from a more technical perspective as can be most easily seen in the match ups against Adrian Neville as moves are countered or reshuffled so things need not come out the same way twice.  Even there most recent title match called back to Neville's playing possum from the road to redemption tour.

The case against:  May be more of a question of whether or not he can translate his level of performance to WWE main roster as several guys have been unable to make that transition in a meaningful sense.  So you are left to wonder if he can take that next step and become a major player when his time gets cut down significantly and he won't have the room to craft epic stories.  But as far as what he is actually doing now?  I'm not sure what you would say his major weaknesses are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FU89l6ybfI

• Like 1

That j-brone Jrag posted a picture of didn't even have a match since last March, and therefore is about as eligible for this tournament as I am.

To be fair, Punk not having a match still means I would vote for him over some people who had unanimously terrible matches. Like, I'd vote for Punk over Mojo Rawley or something.

I don't think you can penalize Sami for what you do or don't think he may or may not do next year. That's getting into a realm that MM isn't supposed to be about.

I don't think I did a good job expressing my question since I was struggling to find something he was bad at.  I think the real hurdle is can he excell in sub ten minute matches where he's not given lots of time to tell his stories.  Honestly I think that may only matter to the more holistic of the wrestling evaluators but its still a question to be answered.

EVERYONE Sami has interacted with his looked either the best they ever have or used it as a springboard to launch themselves to a new level. It's ridiculous.

Examples:

CESARO: Cesaro is obviously awesome. But he looked like the best wrestler alive when he was paired with Sami. That coincided well with his great matches with Cena and Orton last year. Against Sami, Cesaro looked the part of company ace and indestructible force. Against the WWE roster, he's "insanely strong guy who may or may not win a match." A lot of that is because of how he's used. But a lot of that is also because there's no one on the WWE roster who can show vulnerability and feisty more than Sami -- Daniel Bryan included. That plays into what Cesaro's good at better than anyone else alive.

RENEE YOUNG: Renee's the best backstage interviewer-type person in wrestling in decades. She responds organically well to the material and other performers. Her first real breakout segments came with Sami, as they had a really good chemistry and slight flirtatiousness. Sami always feels like he believes what he says. Renee responded like she believed what he said. That's what jump-started her fast (and deserved) rise.

BO DALLAS: Bo's NXT run is one of my favorite things in wrestling history. His delusional self-centered nature needed a grounded character to base around. That was Sami. Bo had his issue with Neville, but Neville doesn't have Sami's charisma or charm. Sami being the most stand-up person showed Bo for being a total slimebag. Neville against Bo just showed an overconfident toolbag. There's a difference. Also, Sami pulled off the Mr. NXT mask that forced Bo to flee Full Sail University's crack security force in my favorite segment of the year.

ADRIAN NEVILLE: The Sami/Neville NXT match is my favorite match of the voting period. Their match was an actual morality tale. Does Sami cross the line to win? Does Neville go even further to take the title? It was just amazing stuff. Neville doesn't have the acting chops to pull that off (although he's improved remarkably well). But Sami made him.

TYSON KIDD: Kidd's become one of the best douchebag heels. His feud with Sami is what helped him master his character's voice. Their blowoff match was a thing of beauty that ended perfectly well, with Kidd tapping out immediately from Sami's submission finish -- the ultimate short-cut from a guy who did whatever he could to get to the top. It matched so well because, if in the opposite position, Sami wouldn't have tapped out.

TYLER BREEZE: Breeze's best match was with Sami. And that match was outstanding.

COREY GRAVES: Corey was really starting to put it together until he couldn't perform anymore. His best match was with Sami.

TITUS O'NEIL: His best career match was with Sami.

Sami's just an amazingly talented performer. Whether or not he can do it on the big show is besides the point -- he doesn't have to right now. His whole arc was an awesome story. And, along the way, he made EVERYONE with him look better than they ever did before.

It's his to lose.

If you think someone deserves a spot, make a case for them, that's the title of the thread. Telling people that Hechicero is awesome, then doing nothing to convince them of his awesomeness doesn't help get him in the bracket. It especially doesn't help get him any votes.

TNA being pretty much dogshit all year is going to open a lot of spaces, since I'm not sure anyone on their roster should be included.

If you think someone deserves a spot, make a case for them, that's the title of the thread. Telling people that Hechicero is awesome, then doing nothing to convince them of his awesomeness doesn't help get him in the bracket. It especially doesn't help get him any votes.

TNA being pretty much dogshit all year is going to open a lot of spaces, since I'm not sure anyone on their roster should be included.

But what are we making a case for? People to win the entire thing? Because if so it's a short list. Just people who had a good year? Can we be a bit more precise.

Edit: reading through your post again, I'm an idiot.

Can we get an official stance on if any women will be in the field this year? Paige and especially Sasha need be in, right?

There's cases to be made for EC3 and Rockstar Spud.

I will not be doing that, I will be making a case for AR Fox. If you like flippy guys then he is one to watch. He's one of the newer guys on the Indie see and a lot of fun to watch. That's what im here to seel you on is the pure mindless fun of watching wrestle. Fox is super inventive and fearless in the ring. Definitely a student of Rob Van Dam & Sabu. There is way too little AR Fox love on this board. Surprising if  you ask me. He has been tearing it up in organizations like CZW, Beyond Wrestling and Dragon Gate USA/Evolve for years now. He is a star in the making, poetic even. A true high air artisan.  One could argue he is a new age Scorpio; less cavalier, more stoned. Fox is a risk taker some times he hits and par the course with his break neck style he misses. What makes him the exception is when he hits he hits hard and is a spectacle to watch. He isn't as polished as others in the running. And there's a more then strong possibility he does deserve to be on the boards. I don;t know if I made as a compelling aregument as others but I will let AR Fox's matches do the talking.

W /Rich Swann vs The Unholy Alliance

vs Drew Gulak

vs AJ Styles

• Like 1

What is the official period we are considering, here? Is it calendar-year 2014 or Mania XXX to current? Because I feel like Orton was a bit underrated in 2014, and one of the best arguments of this was his February series against his Elimination Chamber opponents. Even post-Mania, I feel like he was doing most of the (metaphorical) heavy lifting from the Evolution side of the Shield feud.

Rush, Cavernario, Hechicero (who I really didn't see much of in the time period) and Casas are all guys from Mexico to watch. Nakamura, Akiyama, Ishii and Styles are my favorites from Japan (With AJ being my dark horse pick to win the whole damn thing).

But yeah, this was Sami Zayn's year and for me it wasn't really even close.

I've hesitated posting this since I'm the last guy that wants to expound on anything... but this is just a clinic on how to be a heel, and a complete smarmy dick. Anyone who is going to vote and doesn't get to see much of Negro Casas should check it out.

• Like 1