DVDVR Message Board

2014 NFL: WEEK FIFTEEN

Dolfan in NYC

What's the origin of the really dumb "fumble under 2 minutes to go" rule? It seems like a completely unnecessary add-on.

Let me guess: Once the team the NFL wants to win nearly lost a playoff game so let's just make something up?

Because the rule only exists in reaction/retaliation to The Holy Roller to prevent it from being repeated.  I assume The Holy Roller occurred with less than 2 minutes left in that game.

[it was a regular season game, for the record.]

It also, as I learned watching the Bengals last week, applies on 4th downs regardless of time remaining.

• Like 1

Savage to have an MRI after dirty low hit.  Should we call Tebow?

Yeah, he basically played the entire second half of the season with a limp last year for Pitt. I was rooting for him to get a shot because I think he has a ton of talent and seems like a good guy but I feared he'd prove brittle for the NFL - dirty low hits notwithstanding.

The Browns move to turn to Johnny Football failing spectacularly, however, fills me with all kinds of joy. Hopefully Hoyer hooks on with a good solid young team next season - I think the Rams would be a perfect fit. Hoyer isn't great but I think he could be a Brad Johnson/Trent Dilfer type who competently QBs a team with a great defense to some victories.  

"Only the fumbler can advance the ball" because Stabler fumbled (by modern rules it would probably be an "arm moving forward" incomplete pass) on a 4th down, and as the ball bounced forward Dave Casper kept "accidentally" (i.e. deliberately) batting the ball forward past the first down marker and beyond, eventually falling on the ball in the end zone for a winning TD.

In which the ball was advanced [20+ yards] entirely by repeated fumbling.

When he breaks his leg trying to do a leaping pass down 72-0 as time expires will they give up? It'll be like that one episode of Coach where everyone was sick and the 47th string QB/Punter/Jock Strap Organizer scored with no time left to lose the Bowl Game by like 60 in a blizzard.

The only Vikings fans I ever knew were pricks and live in the heart of Packers country, so I'm glad I haven't seen that.

It's god awful about the worst kind of fans. Now they cheer for Vikings/Eagles/Bengals/Cowboys/Steelers/Fuck off and die.

• Like 3

Hey, can Warren Buffet work out a hush hush deal to keep SUUUUUUUUUUHHHHH in Detroit?

Suh's agent would confuse him and think he's being offered an actual Buffet and stay for the league minimum for the chance to eat Jay Cutler.

Hey, can Warren Buffet work out a hush hush deal to keep SUUUUUUUUUUHHHHH in Detroit?

Suh's agent would confuse him and think he's being offered an actual Buffet and stay for the league minimum for the chance to eat Jay Cutler.

I'm okay with that. Especially with an Aaron Rodgers dessert.

The only Vikings fans I ever knew were pricks and live in the heart of Packers country, so I'm glad I haven't seen that.

It's god awful about the worst kind of fans. Now they cheer for Vikings/Eagles/Bengals/Cowboys/Steelers/Fuck off and die.

"I cheer for Team A but the slightest personal appeal will cause me to change my loyalties to Team B C D and/or E.  Not even bandwagon jumping or playing fantasy football, I'm just that suggestible."

I cheer for a team that hasn't won a division in 21 years, a playoff game in 23 years, or an NFL championship in 57 years, and I can still be loyal. Fuck those people so much.

Why can't you be loyal to your feelings then? *sobbing*