DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2014: AUGUST

RIPPA

Trivia!

Javy Baez is the first player since Joe Cunningham did it for the Cardinals in 1954 to hit 3 homers in their first 3 games.

Joe had a 13-year career and even hit .345 one year while leading the NL in OBP.  Not bad for a guy I'd never heard of until 30 seconds ago.

The ricochet of the ball was so strong off his skull that it went straight into the air like a popup and was caught by the shortstop for the out.

As for your first post, just without the brain tumor, hopefully.

With regards to your second post...Do I need to tell you things in thunder?

Of course We all hope that your deluded and unquenchable optimism is purchased with genuine folly, rather then medically induced by the faulty humors of some demonic shadow fallen across your brow.

MV5_BMTc2_NTMz_OTU3_Ml5_BMl5_Ban_Bn_Xk_F

DO YOU HEAR THE THUNDER, PEOPLE!!!

IT'S BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Phillies will never get want they want for Hamels. I get wanting to not get fleeced, but Amaro is probably fucked.

My guess is that whoever replaces him once Amaro is inevitably future endeavored is equally fucked.

Even better, they're low A relievers. Thanks Marlins! Only way that would have gone better is if the Cubs got Turner for free.

What am I missing?  Dude has a 6.00 ERA this year, striking out 6 per 9 IP, while giving up a ton of hits.  Yeah, he's young but...

I mean, I expect him to improve, I just don't see being giddy about getting him.

Former top ten draft pick, three-time top 30 prospect, only 23 with 264 IP of major league experience under his belt...there's a lot to work with there. He won't be getting jerked around between AAA and the majors, either.

Former top ten draft pick, three-time top 30 prospect, only 23 with 264 IP of major league experience under his belt...there's a lot to work with there. He won't be getting jerked around between AAA and the majors, either.

The Cubs coaching staff has also done excellent work with Jake Arrieta, someone who was once in a similar situation. Not to mention how well they did with Wada, Hendricks, Hammel, etc. Their track record with reclamation-ish projects speaks for itself so exciting to see them be able to mold Turner into a useful starting pitcher.

Even better, they're low A relievers. Thanks Marlins! Only way that would have gone better is if the Cubs got Turner for free.

What am I missing?  Dude has a 6.00 ERA this year, striking out 6 per 9 IP, while giving up a ton of hits.  Yeah, he's young but...

I mean, I expect him to improve, I just don't see being giddy about getting him.

Basically what the others said. He's a young, strong arm that basically just needs some time with a good pitching coach, the Cubs have earned faith in there ability to get something out of pitchers other teams give up on too early, or who are not heavily hyped. A 23 year old who was a top draft pick, but wasn't given proper time to develop is right up our alley.

The ricochet of the ball was so strong off his skull that it went straight into the air like a popup and was caught by the shortstop for the out.

When Ray Chapman was killed in 1920 by Carl Mays, the pitch ricocheted so hard off Chapman's head that Mays, thinking it was a bunt, leapt off the mound and "threw him out" at first.

Basically what the others said. He's a young, strong arm that basically just needs some time with a good pitching coach, the Cubs have earned faith in there ability to get something out of pitchers other teams give up on too early, or who are not heavily hyped. A 23 year old who was a top draft pick, but wasn't given proper time to develop is right up our alley.

Ehh.  Plenty of top rated prospects have not panned out.  But for what little the Cubs gave up, he's certainly worth a flier just to see if he can be a bullpen arm at the very least.