DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

On 3/7/2024 at 7:23 PM, Kang said:

Akira Toriyama passed away. He was 68 years old.

https://twitter.com/DB_official_en/status/1765935471971213816

Toriyama is probably one of the best and most influential creators of the last 50 years. Returned to Dragon Ball long after it was finished and I think told even better stories for the franchise. And he was still working constantly until the end when he could've easily coasted and rested on his past success.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Well I'm all fucking in. 

YOU GODDAM RIGHT YOU ARE!!!

Like DB KAI it will tell a manga faithful update. It's gotta be better than that Kenshin reboot!

James

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I guess they will continue to make new Dragon Ball movies in the future. The new Daima anime is still on. The Super Dragon Ball Heroes anime is still ongoing.

The Dragon Ball Super manga is on an indefinite hiatus. The Dragon Ball SD manga is still ongoing, the Super Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultra God Mission Manga too.

My daughter and I have been watching Frieren: Beyond Journey's End recently. It starts off slow, and was difficult for my daughter to understand at first, but we gradually began enjoying it. Last night, we started watching what must have been a new arc in the manga, and holy crap was it exciting. We ended up binge watching a bunch of episodes in a row. Kudos to everyone involved for holding back for so long, then dialing it up to 11. 

• Like 1

My 12-year-old has been asking me to take her to an anime movie off and on for the last year. She knows my late wife's parents won't take her to one this summer when she visits them (Grandma still thinks she likes "Paw Patrol." However, my daughter is fine with most Disney, DreamWorks, etc. fare.) My parents don't understand any of it, and the local theater -- the one that likes to screen the latest films from Steven Seagal and Dolph Lundgren -- doesn't know what anime is.

So when "Spy x Family Code: White" premiered at a neighboring town's theater this weekend, I opted to take her. She knew the anime and the film was PG-13. 

The theater is an AMC in a decrepit mall (has a Belk, Books-A-Million, Bath and Body Works and a bunch of flea markets. There's also two day care centers). Bought the tickets in the "Screen 1-6 Zone," then walked across the hall as the film was on Screen 11. If you want snacks, you go back to 1-6 (we didn't snack). We went to the theater once before, pre-COVID, to see "Arctic Dogs." My daughter has since apologized profusely for asking to see this film, which was an atomic turd.

Honestly, I enjoyed it. It helped that my daughter went through all the basics with me about the characters, then the narrator repeated everything she said on screen (we saw the dubbed version -- my daughter said she "can't handle subtitles yet.") There was a little bit of everything -- action, silly family fare, "Fisher-Price film noir", etc., and there was enough going on to keep the audience interesting. My daughter loved it and couldn't stop talking about it, particularly the action scenes.

Spoiler

The scene where the child dreams of speaking with the "god of poop" and farting her way to the "Garden of Toilets" managed to be both extremely ridiculous and funny.

Also, I will never say no to a dog wearing a bow tie.

One of the coming attractions was another Crunchyroll film called "Haikyuu!! The Dumpster Battle," which is set to premiere May 31. I never heard an audience laugh loudly at a film's title in my life.

Edited by colonial
  • Like 1

We saw that Saturday and it was only us and another couple.  We love the show and especially loved the movie.  And yeah what you said in spoilers had us howling with laughter.  I'm glad it was an actual movie and not some BS like Demon Slayer did/does where it's only showing two older episodes and one new a week before it came to Crunchyroll.  If I knew it'd be that I would have held off on going.