DVDVR Message Board

June 2014 Football thread

The Natural

Yeah, same here.  I have no idea why Barca would sell him either, as he's pretty versatile and he seemed ready to take over Xavi's spot with him and Iniesta getting older.  What is Wegner's problem, I can't believe he would pass up on taking Fabregas back only to let him go to a rival either.

Glad to see Barca getting Rakitic, but it's hard to understand why they are selling off so many players.

Love how the Revs are getting the grass field at Foxboro taken out in time for their game against us on Sunday. Of course they did this because they know Henry won't play on turf. And they'll wonder why only 10,000 fans show up.

Financing their 600 million quatloo stadium overhaul?

I dunno. That doesn't really seem logical either.

I guess they really just aren´t happy with their last two seasons and their respective performances. The team was dominating European club footie for a majority of the last 8 years iirc, but lost much steam during the last two years. Despite getting their crown prince Neymar last year after a long time of trying, they ultimately got edged out by both Madrilenian teams. I can imagine Barca officials think it´s time to revamp their squad around a few key players since they feel a quite a few of said key players are past their prime.

Random question: favourite players from teams you don't actually support?

Batigol

When I was, I dunno, 12 or some shit, would copy the crap out of his smash-the-fuck-out-of-the-ball-so-hard-that-both-feet-are-off-the-ground-when-you-hit-it routine. Alas, I could only dream of being as cool as Batistuta, a dude who built a career out of 'have some of that, ya cunt' EAT MY GOAL goals, including this one against United which made me both weep and applaud at the same time:

Loved the crap out of Football Italia on Channel 4 back in the day (James Richardson remains probably the best sports TV show host that there's ever been) and you had dudes like Casiraghi and Del Piero and Ravanelli and whatnot featured but Batistuta was the coolest motherfucker that ever lived back then.

Original fat assed Ronaldo

Essentially missed 2-3 years of his career through injury and but for this, I remain convinced he would pretty much have been top 5 of all time. At his best, guy was devastatingly frighteningly good.

Romario

World Cup 94 was my first World Cup, Romario was cool as fuck during it. That's all I got.

I do also recall him and Stoichkov et al shitting all over United when Barca beat them 4-0 in the European Cup though and remember my 9 year old self wondering what the fuck I just saw. In those words too, I thought 'what the fuck did I just see?'

I have others, Messi is obvious, random chap like Peter Beardsley wouldn't be so obvious.

• Like 1

You're my kind of poster, Fuzzy Dunlop (like the name too)

Back when Serie A showed up on Channel 4, my favourite team quickly became Inter Milan. Jurgen Klinsmann was amazing. Lothar Matthaus became a favourite too. Not so well known favourites from that team were Ruben Sosa and, to a lesser extent, Igor Shalimov, who didn't really amount to much.

Then when the Champions League format appeared in the early 90s, I fell in love with Ajax. So many great players - Bergkamp (who then went to Inter), Overmars, Kluivert, both De Boer brothers, van der Sar, Rijkaard, Davids, Seedorf, Litmanen and Kanu. Such a beautiful team.

Also had a brief love affair with the early 90s Swedish trio of Tomas Brolin, Martin Dahlin and Kennet Andersson.

All of these players are also part of a thread I was once going to start called "Who were you when you played football as a kid?" I assume other kids chose players to be in their running commentary and it wasn't just us. Liverpool players included Fowler, Rush, McManaman and Rob Jones (I fancied myself as a right back)

Current Premier League favourite would be Aguero. Amazing player.

• Like 3

I would go with Philipp Lahm. He does everything that you would ask a full-back to do and does it well. Plus he can play on either side and has the versatility to play in midfield. He's also a great leader and isn't a diver.

Bergkamp! Knew I forgot someone. As a United fan, I know I was supposed to dislike Arsenal but Bergkamp was pretty much a genius. Davids too; agreed on that mid 90s Ajax team, I could pretty much name their starting XI from their European Cup final win off the top of my head.

Even with Liverpool and a dude like Suarez, I find myself going 'fuck he's good' on a frequent basis. It's like 'Jesus Christ, when you're that good, why do you have to be such a cunt sometimes, dammit?'

I find myself wishing he played for United at times.

Of current guys, Aguero at City and Ozil at Arsenal are two Premier League guys I can't hate on. For that matter, Santi Cazorla was great in the role of Sonic the Hedgehog at Arsenal this year too. I don't really hate Arsenal as much as Tottenham fans are supposed to.And pretty much everyone that isn't a Chelsea fan hates them, but I really liked what we saw of Mohamed Salah at the tail end of this season. I won't be surprised if he sticks with top teams for a long, long time.

All time, a lot of my older opinoins are based more of international tournaments because there just wasn't much club football on my tv before the last decade. I never have cheered Brazil but it's kind of impossible for them not to get in this somehow. Fat ass Ronaldo is a good one. It's a shame his prime wasn't longer, but what a prime. For fuck's sake some of these goals are barely human:

http://youtu.be/m8bZhNBQktQ

Ronaldinho was great too. I wonder if David Seaman still has nightmares about *that* goal.

I guess a more semi-random choice, Gennaro Gattuso is a complete asshole to play against. I think I'd love him as a teammate though.

• Like 2

Still have a soft spot in my heart for this guy:

http://www.futhead.com/fifa/players/712/

Playing on FIFA '11 as Brescia in serie A, he's like the only thing you have going for you.

Update to FIFA '14 and play as Brescia in serie B and he's like, still the only thing you have going for you.

I'm sure that if you buy FIFA '16 and play as Brescia in serie C, he will be like, the only thing you'll have going for you.

Almost every mid-table team I've ever played on SoccerManager.com I end up buying Ibrahimm Affelay if no one beat me to him because he's like the 25th guy on Barcelona's depth chart so he's insanely cheap but he's still really highly rated (I guess based off those four days in his life he hasn't been injured and actually played).

The dude when I was growing up was Roberto Baggio. Even with that horrendous rat-tail thing going on and missing the last penalty in the World Cup final, he was considered the ultimate player in my playground. Followed by Romario, Hagi and Campos (the keeper with the ridiculous shirts).

• Like 1

You're my kind of poster, Fuzzy Dunlop (like the name too)

Back when Serie A showed up on Channel 4, my favourite team quickly became Inter Milan. Jurgen Klinsmann was amazing. Lothar Matthaus became a favourite too. Not so well known favourites from that team were Ruben Sosa and, to a lesser extent, Igor Shalimov, who didn't really amount to much.

Then when the Champions League format appeared in the early 90s, I fell in love with Ajax. So many great players - Bergkamp (who then went to Inter), Overmars, Kluivert, both De Boer brothers, van der Sar, Rijkaard, Davids, Seedorf, Litmanen and Kanu. Such a beautiful team.

Also had a brief love affair with the early 90s Swedish trio of Tomas Brolin, Martin Dahlin and Kennet Andersson.

All of these players are also part of a thread I was once going to start called "Who were you when you played football as a kid?" I assume other kids chose players to be in their running commentary and it wasn't just us. Liverpool players included Fowler, Rush, McManaman and Rob Jones (I fancied myself as a right back)

Current Premier League favourite would be Aguero. Amazing player.

Brolin and Dahlin were amazing. Don't think we got much club football in Canada back in the day other than the bigger Premier League teams and I was playing youth sawkur or sleeping when they were on, so I didn't get a chance to follow it much. But for the big international tournaments I would go full-on OCD. My parents would buy me the magazines and big specials with features on each squad and beautiful pictures. I'd read up as much as I could and watch every match with the info on hand, as I finally got to see the athletes I had only seen in stills come to life on screen. My first tournament I can really remember doing that for was World Cup '94 and those two Swedes were my jam. Both had incredible tournaments. Sweden was the neatest as a kid, too. "They are so peaceful! They have the coolest flag! Pretty ladies!" Henrik Larsson is my other Swedish football love.

Agree with Mr. Swift on Fuzzy, too. Quality poster and rad name. "10%..."

Edit: By '96, I had attached myself to my grandmother's Germanic roots and fell in love with old man Klinsmann, Häßler, and Bierhoff. LotharMatthäus was such a badass, I was always impressed with him as a kid even in the midnight of his career.

Zanetti, EL fucking TRACTOR, was another favourite as he just never stopped moving, such industry! And his hair was always perfect despite that.

Jaap Stam scared the shit out of me (still does). How could any dainty striker want to go up against that unit?

That video is crazy. Given his relative fall from grace, It's easy to forget how much of a beast he was. Like Jonah Lomu except with fancy footwork and amazing ball control too. In the majority of those goals, it appears that the ball is attached to his feet with velcro.

I tried listing them but there were far too many. Championship Manager creates heroes for you even though they never quite reach those heights.

I'll narrow it down to THE Ronaldo, Batistuta, Toldo, Zamorano, Raul, Morientes, Hierro, Roberto Carlos, the de Boers, Davids, De Gory, Kahn, Sammer, Kohler, Matthaus, Seaman, Gattuso, McCoist, Redondo, and a bunch of Euro 96 Spanish and Portuguese players.

That video is crazy. Given his relative fall from grace, It's easy to forget how much of a beast he was. Like Jonah Lomu except with fancy footwork and amazing ball control too. In the majority of those goals, it appears that the ball is attached to his feet with velcro.

Seriously I would just be happy to run without the ball and not fall down.

When I was so young that I couldn't properly comprehend football, it stuck in my mind that Marco Van Basten was the greatest player ever. I had a Milan shirt and everything. I met him a few years ago in a hospitality tent at the Alfred Dunhill cup. I marked out, but he was cool about it, I'm sure he gets it a lot.