DVDVR Message Board

Colt Cabana's Art of Wrestling Podcast

Web Conn

consider that Stone Cold was working quickly after a staph infection in June 1998 (not MRSA, but still). And SCSA had hit the point of "he'll be held in breach of contract and not get his money" before June. So there's probably parts of the story that he can relate to. And parts where he'll probably call out Punk a bit too.

I'd guess the Vince interview will be safely taped and fleshed out before Monday night too.

Here's my question: Does Vince/WWE benefit from mentioning anything about Punk? If Vince does, all that is going to happen is that WWE/Punk are going to get in a war-of-words and WWE isn't going to come out looking good. WWE already gave Del Rio hush money and they would have to do the same with Punk is Vince says ANYTHING other than the following:

"Unfortunately we couldn't come to terms on a few things and in retrospective from both a business and personal standpoint- I wish I would have done things differently. Punk is a great talent as all of his fans know and hopefully one day when the time is right we will be able to work together and make the WWE brand and the CM Punk brand bigger than ever! Until then, I wish him well on his current and future endeavors!"

Anything else is going to open up a shit storm online and in the arenas across the country.

Re: the podcast

Punk seems like a straight shooter but comes off carny sometimes by worrying about the outcome of fake matches. In a WWE where wins and loses already don't mean anything, him losing to Rock, Taker, and Lesnar would not have hurt him at all because WWE would have sent him out there to kick the asses of everyone else on the roster (beating Cena, Orton, Ryback, and anyone else who was even slightly over) to quickly 'erase' those loses and have the fans forget. I also believe that matches against guys like Rock, Taker, Lesnar, HHH, etc. all exist in a vacuum. No one is going to think Ziggler, Punk, Henry, or anyone sucks dick because they didn't beat these guys. People are going to take it as a one-off encounter and nothing more. Rock beat Punk. Cool moment. Cool match. Glad I got to see it. NEXT~! The matches with the part-times exist outside the regular narrative and might as well happen in an alternative timeline that has no real impact on what's really going on in WWE because more-often-than-not...it doesn't.

Other thing that came off as very pretentious is him going through this and finding a large royalty check. Just cleaning the basement guys and I stumbled across this 45K check inside this box of old t-shirts. Again, I 100% understand about the medical issues. I believe WWE should be on for 6 months (Jan-August) and off for 4 (Sept-Dec) so guys like Punk aren't so banged up and jaded. I get it. However, the 'Oh hey guys! I just FOUND  a large check sitting around~! HEHEHE" just is another example of what I feel is the true case in all of this. The millionaire didn't get to play wrestling at his dream job and decided to leave.

I was also a bit shocked at the claim that WWE lets guys work off their strikes or whatever Punk claimed. You'd think that'd be a major PR blow for them if that got out into the mainstream.

They announced it publicly a year or so ago.

Are there really questions about whether Ryback/Triple H/(name the juicer of your choice) are on steroids? Just remember, their wellness program is self-enforced and their admittance to being "entertainment" was in order to eliminate the fees and oversight of the athletic commission. Meltz and countless others have said it, certain guys aren't tested or informed when it's coming.

I liked the interview, nothing that wasn't assumed to be true outside of the concussion/staph infection stuff, which is the most damaging. I think the guy has integrity, unusual for this horrible business.

The shock of this thing is not that WWE is a terrible employer and wrestlers need to unionize, nor that Punk is a petulant dude with significant paranoia and a lot of bad ideas that he thinks are better than they are, but that Punk said a lot of this shit out loud. That MRSA story is absolutely scandalous, and this is a top-level dude talking about this happening to him.

Same thing happened to Bob Holly and his arm was nearly amputated. He said he was very close to suing WWE over it.

I forgot about that, they DID almost cause Bob Holly to lose an arm by forcing him to go on an overseas tour with a staph infection. So yea, even the worst part of it isn't a new story, it's just getting more response because it's a top guy telling his story in a free format and not a midcard guy doing an RF shoot.

I also believe that matches against guys like Rock, Taker, Lesnar, HHH, etc. all exist in a vacuum. No one is going to think Ziggler, Punk, Henry, or anyone sucks dick because they didn't beat these guys. People are going to take it as a one-off encounter and nothing more. Rock beat Punk. Cool moment. Cool match. Glad I got to see it. NEXT~! The matches with the part-times exist outside the regular narrative and might as well happen in an alternative timeline that has no real impact on what's really going on in WWE because more-often-than-not...it doesn't.

It's probably true that some fans so rationalise things in this way. But to state that "no one is going to think....." is way off. And even if I do rationalise it, in my heart...it still feels off. When you're stating that the 'Road to Wrestlemania' exists on an alternative timeline to the rest of the year.....yeah, I know what you mean but there's something a bit ludicrous about saying the biggest show of the year is somehow not the central event of the WWE timeline.

On another note; what are good questions for CM Punk pertaining to this period? The thing I am wondering about is the stuff with Kevin Nash - I am sure Punk must have a barb for Big Sexy.

I also believe that matches against guys like Rock, Taker, Lesnar, HHH, etc. all exist in a vacuum. No one is going to think Ziggler, Punk, Henry, or anyone sucks dick because they didn't beat these guys. People are going to take it as a one-off encounter and nothing more. Rock beat Punk. Cool moment. Cool match. Glad I got to see it. NEXT~! The matches with the part-times exist outside the regular narrative and might as well happen in an alternative timeline that has no real impact on what's really going on in WWE because more-often-than-not...it doesn't.

It's probably true that some fans so rationalise things in this way. But to state that "no one is going to think....." is way off. And even if I do rationalise it, in my heart...it still feels off. When you're stating that the 'Road to Wrestlemania' exists on an alternative timeline to the rest of the year.....yeah, I know what you mean but there's something a bit ludicrous as saying the biggest show of the year is somehow not the central event of the WWE timeline.

Remember when WrestleMania WAS the culmination of major storylines? Those were the days..............

• Like 1

Staph Infection killed Chris Candido. Who was one of Punk's best friends. Can't blame him for being salty.

Candido died because of a blood clot from flying too soon post surgery. Punk mentions the Candido death in the interview in reference to one of his surgeries. The early reports rumored staph though.

Re: the podcast

Punk seems like a straight shooter but comes off carny sometimes by worrying about the outcome of fake matches. In a WWE where wins and loses already don't mean anything, him losing to Rock, Taker, and Lesnar would not have hurt him at all because WWE would have sent him out there to kick the asses of everyone else on the roster (beating Cena, Orton, Ryback, and anyone else who was even slightly over) to quickly 'erase' those loses and have the fans forget. I also believe that matches against guys like Rock, Taker, Lesnar, HHH, etc. all exist in a vacuum. No one is going to think Ziggler, Punk, Henry, or anyone sucks dick because they didn't beat these guys. People are going to take it as a one-off encounter and nothing more. Rock beat Punk. Cool moment. Cool match. Glad I got to see it. NEXT~! The matches with the part-times exist outside the regular narrative and might as well happen in an alternative timeline that has no real impact on what's really going on in WWE because more-often-than-not...it doesn't.

So its okay for us the bitch about booking and match outcomes but he is a mark for voicing his opinion on the long term use of his future. Austin always encouraging guys to speak up and get noticed. WWE doesnt seem to invest in guys that arent on Cena level, On a creative level every thing Punk spoke up about Ive been seeing people here bitch about. Punk seems to really want to get other guys over too.

That Doc was just on Jericho's show & Punk buried the fuck out of him. I want Del Rio on Colts podcast now he isnt much of a WWE sympathizer either as wel as Richardo Rodriguez ,

• Like 1

I really don't understand how being fired from a job that you'd essentially quit a few months earlier would be insulting.

I'm not taking WWE's side, but it makes no sense.

I think it had more to do with the fact that on a day that should have been the greatest of Punk's life, WWE decided to do a dick move just to do it. 

It looked like a culmination of things.  He'd been trying to get in touch with someone there for over a month regarding the royalty checks that were overdue and was getting brushed off.  Then he gets the notice on his wedding day with a bunch of what were clearly bullshit terms trying to fuck him out of a lot of money.He had been willing to let the financial aspects go until HHH called him right before his wedding wanting to talk business, when Punk had been trying to do exactly that for a long time and was getting nowhere.

I like Punk and all but here are the facts:

The dude breached his contract, walked off the job and forced rewrites heading into the biggest show of the year. If you or I walked off of our jobs, we'd be fired and likely screwed for future employment. Punk's contract expired just months after he pulled this stunt. If he had stayed for the duration that he had promised WWE he would. If the whole thing about having worked the dates he owed them is true then Punk should've given notice and allowed them to properly write him out. I'm sorry but that's just professional courtesy. 

There are fans who bought tickets to events hoping that Punk would be there and those people were denied him for reasons well within his control. Like Jericho said to him, you don't fuck the fans over. 

• Like 1

There are fans who bought tickets to events hoping that Punk would be there and those people were denied him for reasons well within his control. Like Jericho said to him, you don't fuck the fans over. 

I guess he should have just kept wrestling with MRSA and died so we could deify how dedicated he was to the business.

• Like 5

I like Punk and all but here are the facts:

The dude breached his contract, walked off the job and forced rewrites heading into the biggest show of the year. If you or I walked off of our jobs, we'd be fired and likely screwed for future employment. Punk's contract expired just months after he pulled this stunt. If he had stayed for the duration that he had promised WWE he would. If the whole thing about having worked the dates he owed them is true then Punk should've given notice and allowed them to properly write him out. I'm sorry but that's just professional courtesy. 

WWE says the card is subject to change right on the front and doesn't make clear who will or won't be there most of the time until the day of the show.

I didn't listen to the interview, but I listened to recaps of it and read about it. Here are my thoughts:

- Wins and losses do matter. If they didn't, Santino and Goldust could headline Wrestlemania. Fine, your throwaway on Raw isn't that big of a deal, but a loss at big show like the RR or Mania certainly is. I don't think Punk lost anything though by losing to Taker. He elevated himself out of that one with his performance. A loss in a quick squash would have hurt him though and a win in a dead match ala Brock/Taker wouldn't have helped him either. Punk also got some elevation by fighting Rock.

- I'm 50/50 on Punk leaving, but he's an independent contractor. WWE can fire him anytime they want so it's okay with me if he leaves anytime he wants. Yes, I do think he ruined some booking plans, but it's wrestling and you just have to get used to changing things at the spur of the moment.

- Punk is his biggest fan and he should be. If he didn't care, he wouldn't have made it to where he was. Punk can't ever be the #1 face though with Cena around. It never works and it's really hard to transitiion someone like a Cena down a few levels. The #1 face has to go away. I think the only person who ever got close was Rock with Austin.

- I can understand Punk's anger at part-timers coming in and taking big matches from him. I'd be angry too. But as JC says, "how can we miss you if you won't go away?". Rock/Cena was special the first time and much less so the second time. I wish all the top guys only had matches on free TV occasionally as they'd be more special to me and I'd like them A LOT more.

- The wedding day firing was crap and it'll cost WWE in the long run. If any company should know about letting your main eventers go on good terms, WWE should know. If Punk ever wants to come back, he'll make them pay big bucks for him. If WWE ever needs him to fill in for someone getting injured the day before the main event of a PPV, Punk won't be there.

- I don't see the big deal about a Mania main event other than money. Believe me, Punk can get a WM main event if he says thats the only way he will return.

- Doctors aren't perfect and while I don't know the full details, I can understand how a doctor gets a call wrong. That's why you seek second opinions. It never hurts to get a second opinion.

- Punk going away may be the best move he's ever made. People are dying to see him and he can write his ticket anywhere. I do think he should try to make as much money now as he can. He's 36 and really can only last 10 years more in wrestling. It says he's worth about $7.6 million now. I don't know about his lifestyle, but that's not that much.

- The keyboard warriors thing - I play MMO's and people always say stuff online they'd never say in person. I doubt Punk would waste his time getting arrested for fighting a fan for not liking his match.

• Like 2

I'll give you another example. Stone Cold in 2001. He turns heel and his t-shirt sales are still through the roof. Obviously they did a poor job in the later months with his whole run but he didn't suddenly stop pushing merch.

This isn't true at all. Austin's merch sales went into the toilet basically from the day he turned.

This is what I don't understand. How does someone 'force' you to work? Bob is a grown man and unless someone had a gun to his head 24/7- he made the choice to go over there knowing what was happening to him. It's hard to feel sorry for some wrestlers when they continue to be the biggest marks for themselves and work while super hurt.

This is what I don't understand. How does someone 'force' you to work? Bob is a grown man and unless someone had a gun to his head 24/7- he made the choice to go over there knowing what was happening to him. It's hard to feel sorry for some wrestlers when they continue to be the biggest marks for themselves and work while super hurt.

They can't force you, but they can pressure you, guilt trip you, punish you and threaten you. Welcome to the world of independent contracting. Hey I don't want to go to work sometimes either, but whatever joy I get out of skipping is usually not worth the risk of losing my job or the money that comes with it.

Not sure why anyone would be excited for the Austin interview. Its going to be a powderpuff interview. Austin isn't going to ask any real questions and Vince isn't going to give any real answers.

Austin and Vince will work this interview like it was the Attitude Era.  You can book that.