DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News (RIP D&R's thread)

Elsalvajeloco

They had Farrell on the radio in Toronto to talk about the piece and he spoke of why there are so many screwy decisions in big fights, like the judge that scored Mayweather-Alvarez a draw,  and how he figures Pacquiao-Bradley 1 was fixed and how it isn't that hard or expensive to pay off a judge.  Facinating stuff

They had Farrell on the radio in Toronto to talk about the piece and he spoke of why there are so many screwy decisions in big fights, like the judge that scored Mayweather-Alvarez a draw,  and how he figures Pacquiao-Bradley 1 was fixed and how it isn't that hard or expensive to pay off a judge.  Facinating stuff

Here's a link to it!

http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/pts/pt_20140416_191423--Prime-Time-Sports--April-16---6pm.mp3

It's about the first 15 minutes or so.

Mayweather vs. Maidana is this weekend.  Rumor has it that if / when Money wins he may retire.  It's not like he will have too many more mountains to climb after this title unification fight and his name is one of the ones floating around to become a part-owner of the Clippers along with De La Hoya.

The NBA would never allow the sale of part of the Clippers to Mayweather. He's a convicted wife beater. There's a reason he has ZERO sponsorship's from companies like Nike, Under Armour, etc...

It's harder to judge what Maidana is going to do (some in part with the glove change). The thing with Broner is once he started facing slightly better opponents (not counting the Argentinian fellow he fought for the WBO 130lbs. strap), he stopped throwing punches at a very effective rate. He made Malignaggi look like a seemingly decent boxer-puncher at certain point when he wasn't throwing. Once he fought Maidana, it was straight up Murphy's Law. Any and everything that could go wrong went wrong for Broner. This is how Guerrero got his shot at Mayweather. Berto tried to be half Mayweather, half orthodox Sweet Pea and got mollywhopped for his troubles.

Great fight. I had it Floyd 116-112. People calling robbery are silly, but with Twitter, that's how every fight will be now til forever. Maidana had some good early rounds, but was just throwing all over, Floyd's shots were on target and landing. 

Well, it wasn't your typical Mayweather fight. Maidana put him in a lot of discomfort and in spots controlled the action, I had Mayweather winning the fight on my scorecard but I'm not going to eat the judges' lunch for one of them calling it a draw. There were about 4 rounds that could have gone either way. But I agree: Maidana might have stolen a round or two by just being busier. 

By the way, is there anything better than calling someone a pussy through an interpreter? 

Not seeing 116-112. Could see 115-113 though or 115-114. I had Maidana getting atleast 4 out of the first 6. I figured Maidana was going to have to knock Floyd down once or twice to even get close to a fair shake from the judges. Just can't see the promoters letting Floyd/Khan go in favor of Floyd/Maidana.

Great fight though and hats off to Maidana. No shame at all there and glad at least one judge gave him a fair shake.

I think people reward huge underdogs too much. If they're not getting killed, they're winning in some people eyes IMO. 

The people might, especially Maidana's countrymen, but those judges sure as hell aren't going to with Floyd.