DVDVR Message Board

The 2024 NBA Playoffs

RIPPA

17 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

Was also referring to the Heat fans chanting "We want Boston" during the end of the play-in game.

andrew-kline.gif

You know, I remember when Erik Spoelstra got the head coaching job, I joked about how he looked like a kid who was just gifted a Ferrari for his 16th birthday. When Lebron left, I wondered if that would be the end of Spo. There was a perception that anyone could've coached that team to a title.

Fast forward to 2024, and I think Spoelstra will go down as one of the better NBA Coaches in history.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jaedmc said:

You know, I remember when Erik Spoelstra got the head coaching job, I joked about how he looked like a kid who was just gifted a Ferrari for his 16th birthday. When Lebron left, I wondered if that would be the end of Spo. There was a perception that anyone could've coached that team to a title.

Fast forward to 2024, and I think Spoelstra will go down as one of the better NBA Coaches in history.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jaedmc said:

I think that's a pretty safe bet. If you look at the Heat over Spoelstra's tenure, he's gotten a lot out of talent that you'd think he wouldn't get much out of. I think about ten years from now, he'll go down as a coach on the same level as a Popovich when it comes to organizing a good squad. Pop had two decades of playoff level teams and Spo easily could be on a similar run aside from a couple of near misses (a game in 2015, a tiebreaker in 2017, and two games in 2019). He's either in the playoffs or a couple of games away, and to do that over 15 years is pretty incredible consistency in a game where you just don't see it like that. Imagine another 5-10 years of that.

I mentioned this last year when Spoelstra got to 700 wins

He has been coaching them since 2008

Like how the fuck is that possible besides us being a million

• Like 2

Also on the Spo conversation, on the Lebron/JJ podcast, Lebron directly gave Spoelstra credit for coming up with the game plan that changed their offense to be more effective. Lots of talking heads at the time were busy talking about "who is Batman" and "who is Robin" and "how do these three coexist" etc etc.

Erik Spoelstra came in, at a time when people were saying he was on the hot seat, and said to three superstars "Here's what you're going to do." and it worked. Of course it helped that Chris Bosh was willing and capable to adjust his game to accommodate.

Miami is an attractive enough town for players that he probably won't spend long stretches without talent. I don't know if he'll be Pop Tier, but he'll probably be Top 10 before it's over.

Looking over the stat lines of Game 3 and thought this was mildly interesting.

Denver FG 44-90 and 5 of those were three pointers.

Lakers FG 44-90 and 5 of those were three pointers.

Especially given one of the things announcers haven't been able to STFU about for every Lakers game all season is how the Lakers get to the line more than anyone else.  Welp!

Edited by Contentious C

11 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Also on the Spo conversation, on the Lebron/JJ podcast, Lebron directly gave Spoelstra credit for coming up with the game plan that changed their offense to be more effective. Lots of talking heads at the time were busy talking about "who is Batman" and "who is Robin" and "how do these three coexist" etc etc.

Erik Spoelstra came in, at a time when people were saying he was on the hot seat, and said to three superstars "Here's what you're going to do." and it worked. Of course it helped that Chris Bosh was willing and capable to adjust his game to accommodate.

Miami is an attractive enough town for players that he probably won't spend long stretches without talent. I don't know if he'll be Pop Tier, but he'll probably be Top 10 before it's over.

One of the more under-reported things was between the loss to Dallas and the '10-'11 season, he by all accounts very much was on the hot seat.  At that point he met with (whatever the basketball equivalent is of) Sabremetrics people and "found God."  (By God I don't mean religion) 

Somewhere in the first half of that season, LeBron was actively campaigning for him to be fired when Riley, Wade, and UD sat him down and explained that neither Spo nor he were going anywhere and he needed to listen for the good of the team.  He did and finally bought in.  The rest is history. 

As for tonight... hey, Boston's great and is probably going to win it all.  But one game at a time.... Spo got a team giving significant minutes to 2024 Kevin Love and Haywood Highsmith to beat the juggernauts by 10 on the road. 

Anything is possible.

There is going to be an actual fight in this Clips-Mavs series before it's all said and done.  Also, apparently don't fuck with PJ Washington??

Edited by RandomAct

Doc apparently revealed that Dame has an Achilles' injury, while simultaneously telling the Pacers they no longer have to defend him.