DVDVR Message Board

Basically DVDVR LiveJournal

I told you about an appointment with Dr Chadwick two months ago as I couldn't get in with Dr Eldridge who I'm seeing until Dr Jundi returns from maternity leave. He told me about a mental health nurse there called Jodie and I said I'd think about it only to get a text that an appointment had been made. I was pissed as I said I'd consider it. Dr Chadwick let me down. I cancelled and it was rearranged. It's Tuesday. I'll probably wind up going. I'm just nervous as it's the first time I've met Jodie, what to and not to say as I've had good/bad experiences when it comes to confining in people. All this is weighing on my mind including the bad stomach pains I'm experiencing. Here's to hoping said stomach issues are nothing to be concerned over.

• Like 5

reporting in from a laptop thats not 10 years old (the now retired device was the secondary device for years and I was using a desktop or mobile on here instead)

switched from Acer to a Dell. Not gonna complain much about how the Acer keyboard was wonky for years or the charger port being in the back-middle of the laptop which became annoying eventually (EDIT: the annoyance accelerated once the port seemingly became loose, just imagine trying to fiddle with a charger that's behind your laptop screen while it's on)

anyways, they let this device have Win11, so i'm sure i'll find a reason to dislike that soon (EDIT: although it's probably gonna whip the llamas ass for speed of downloading updates for awhile)

Edited by Cobra Commander

On 4/21/2024 at 10:55 AM, The Natural said:

I told you about an appointment with Dr Chadwick two months ago as I couldn't get in with Dr Eldridge who I'm seeing until Dr Jundi returns from maternity leave. He told me about a mental health nurse there called Jodie and I said I'd think about it only to get a text that an appointment had been made. I was pissed as I said I'd consider it. Dr Chadwick let me down. I cancelled and it was rearranged. It's Tuesday. I'll probably wind up going. I'm just nervous as it's the first time I've met Jodie, what to and not to say as I've had good/bad experiences when it comes to confining in people. All this is weighing on my mind including the bad stomach pains I'm experiencing. Here's to hoping said stomach issues are nothing to be concerned over.

Saw Jodie on Tuesday and liked her. Will see her again next month.

• Like 2

Started swimming in April 2023 for the first time in 25 years. I used floats for that reason even though I know how to swim. It's now a year and today was one of my best. Met a supportive lass today, she's also begun again. All but one person there is encouraging. This was my first Friday steady swim ever. There's a Monday, Tuesday and Friday. I gather from other people there it's very busy on a Monday, quieter on the Tuesday but that snide cow is there who I'm too nice to tell to fuck off and a Friday which I'd say is between the two.

• Like 2

I started a new job two weeks ago tomorrow. It's a meat grinder, they just go through people. Part time, 20-24 hours a week (1000-1400 Mon-Sat, if you want/are allowed Sat). A guy got fired on my first day, for being their three weeks and not getting results. Another guy did the day after that. So I make it 8 days in, and I'm already getting the "Perhaps this is not for you" talks. But I knew the score right away, so I'm not scared. A guy in my room, he was saying he knew he was out of the door pretty soon, he has that whole Worn Down, Embittered Cynical Veteran thing going on, I found out he'd only been there six weeks.

And then on Wednesday, I get a result. And on Friday, I book another couple, and the boss rather than offering me the Saturday shift, orders me to do it. And on Saturday I get another result or two, so now I'm getting a £50 bonus for sure, and maybe £100 if the other one went through. And in two days, I've gone from "Maybe this isn't for you" to "I want you to train the new people".

How can I train the new people? I am the new people. I cannot impart pearls of wisdom, for I have accrued no wisdom. 

Also, it's right in the city centre of my nearest city, so it's a 40 minute bus ride to get there 25 minutes early (or 5 minutes late). But being in a small city, you really see how both the rise in internet shopping, and the devastation of 14 years of Tory governments wrecking the regional economy has really hollowed out the city centre. The amount of foot traffic even on a Saturday is more suited to a small town than an actual pedestrianised city centre. It's seriously depressing. 15 years ago, it was busy on weekends, bearable on weekdays. 10 years before that, it was busy on weekdays and UNbearable at weekends, hugely crowded. And now, it's like... they could reshoot 28 Days Later there, in the middle of the day, with minimal hassle. Although not as bad as that one time I was up there during Lockdown (had to testify in a court case, only I didn't have to testify because the guy changed his plea to guilty once the defence heard the witnesses showed up).

Oh yeah, and I've got a job interview tomorrow. This one is ten minutes walk from my house, so that's less hassle.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, AxB said:

I started a new job two weeks ago tomorrow. It's a meat grinder, they just go through people. Part time, 20-24 hours a week (1000-1400 Mon-Sat, if you want/are allowed Sat). A guy got fired on my first day, for being their three weeks and not getting results. Another guy did the day after that. So I make it 8 days in, and I'm already getting the "Perhaps this is not for you" talks. But I knew the score right away, so I'm not scared. A guy in my room, he was saying he knew he was out of the door pretty soon, he has that whole Worn Down, Embittered Cynical Veteran thing going on, I found out he'd only been there six weeks.

And then on Wednesday, I get a result. And on Friday, I book another couple, and the boss rather than offering me the Saturday shift, orders me to do it. And on Saturday I get another result or two, so now I'm getting a £50 bonus for sure, and maybe £100 if the other one went through. And in two days, I've gone from "Maybe this isn't for you" to "I want you to train the new people".

How can I train the new people? I am the new people. I cannot impart pearls of wisdom, for I have accrued no wisdom. 

Also, it's right in the city centre of my nearest city, so it's a 40 minute bus ride to get there 25 minutes early (or 5 minutes late). But being in a small city, you really see how both the rise in internet shopping, and the devastation of 14 years of Tory governments wrecking the regional economy has really hollowed out the city centre. The amount of foot traffic even on a Saturday is more suited to a small town than an actual pedestrianised city centre. It's seriously depressing. 15 years ago, it was busy on weekends, bearable on weekdays. 10 years before that, it was busy on weekdays and UNbearable at weekends, hugely crowded. And now, it's like... they could reshoot 28 Days Later there, in the middle of the day, with minimal hassle. Although not as bad as that one time I was up there during Lockdown (had to testify in a court case, only I didn't have to testify because the guy changed his plea to guilty once the defence heard the witnesses showed up).

Oh yeah, and I've got a job interview tomorrow. This one is ten minutes walk from my house, so that's less hassle.

Can relate to what the Tories have done. Good luck with the job interview.

• Thanks 1

"Internet shopping" is what I do now and it's at (drumroll please)... Walmart. People just call in their orders now so our job is to pick 'em for them. I manage to park right up front most every day. That's not to say we don't get plenty of inside traffic, it's Walmart, but ours is actually the biggest department in the entire store. Just because people don't want to come in and push a cart.

• Like 1

I'm not going to comment on the motivations of the individuals involved, but the protests happening at Columbia are ... taking a turn for the worse. 

I'm hoping that things deescalate, but it's definitely looking like tonight is gonna be a bad night up in Morningside Heights. 

The student-run WKCR is providing live coverage as *all other* media has been banned from entering campus.

• Sad 1

There's a very good chance my cat, who might as well be my only real friend, is dying.

I'm so fucking tired, man. I've spent 42 years watching pets grow old and die and I'm fucking tired of it.

• Sad 10

33 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

There's a very good chance my cat, who might as well be my only real friend, is dying.

I'm so fucking tired, man. I've spent 42 years watching pets grow old and die and I'm fucking tired of it.

It's so hard. I've sworn I will not get another dog after losing Buddy two years ago. I totally get it. 

• Sad 3

19 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Losing a pet is like losing a family member. I've had to put two cats to sleep. It's one of the hardest decisions to make. Selfishly, we want our furry friends around forever, but we don't want them to suffer. Cherish the time you have with your cat and know you gave him/her the best quality of life possible. 

You may not think you want another pet, but you'll know in time if you're ready for one or not. You're not replacing a beloved pet, but you're giving another a chance to have a great life. I'm sorry if this all sounds cliche, but it's my experience of having cats since I've been 16 years old. 

• Like 2

Car got stolen again. Right when we were on track to sell/ pay off the Kia and get something new. Kick to the gut. 

Car recovered. 3am police are knocking on our door saying the found the car abandoned. A series of joy rides going from one stolen car to the next.

Baby seat was thrown out of the car but found this time, just so much broken glass on it we might need to just get a new one and not risk hidden shards.

My wife feels terrible, she forgot to put the club on, remembered, and then forgot again. Disappointed at first but I held my composure because she feels terrible and is really beating herself up. I told her the amount of mistakes and forgetfulness I make during the week it’s just a matter of when bad luck strikes. So we took today off and I called insurance and figuring everything out. Took lil Octopus to the park to end the day on a fun note. 

This will be another shitty couple of months. 

• Sad 9

46 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Car got stolen again. Right when we were on track to sell/ pay off the Kia and get something new. Kick to the gut. 

Car recovered. 3am police are knocking on our door saying the found the car abandoned. A series of joy rides going from one stolen car to the next.

Baby seat was thrown out of the car but found this time, just so much broken glass on it we might need to just get a new one and not risk hidden shards.

My wife feels terrible, she forgot to put the club on, remembered, and then forgot again. Disappointed at first but I held my composure because she feels terrible and is really beating herself up. I told her the amount of mistakes and forgetfulness I make during the week it’s just a matter of when bad luck strikes. So we took today off and I called insurance and figuring everything out. Took lil Octopus to the park to end the day on a fun note. 

This will be another shitty couple of months. 

Oh, David. Sorry to read this, mate. Love to you all xxx.

Mom and Dad have been apart for almost 15 year, but have not officially divorced. Part of the agreement when they first parted was made when Dad was still working, that he'd give her money since she was unable to work. That continued after I moved her in with me.

Dad emailed me yesterday evening to tell me the IRA he was pulling the money from is empty. He "hadn't been paying attention". Can't I get a job or something, there's a bunch of stuff on YouTube, he says.

So, today I will panic, throw up, call people, panic some more, cancel as much as I can, and then throw up again.

• Sad 6

2 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Mom and Dad have been apart for almost 15 year, but have not officially divorced. Part of the agreement when they first parted was made when Dad was still working, that he'd give her money since she was unable to work. That continued after I moved her in with me.

Dad emailed me yesterday evening to tell me the IRA he was pulling the money from is empty. He "hadn't been paying attention". Can't I get a job or something, there's a bunch of stuff on YouTube, he says.

So, today I will panic, throw up, call people, panic some more, cancel as much as I can, and then throw up again.

Virtual hugs, Jennifer. Love to you and your Mum xxx.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2024 at 3:17 AM, Tabe said:

It's so hard. I've sworn I will not get another dog after losing Buddy two years ago. I totally get it. 

16 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Losing a pet is like losing a family member. I've had to put two cats to sleep. It's one of the hardest decisions to make. Selfishly, we want our furry friends around forever, but we don't want them to suffer. Cherish the time you have with your cat and know you gave him/her the best quality of life possible. 

You may not think you want another pet, but you'll know in time if you're ready for one or not. You're not replacing a beloved pet, but you're giving another a chance to have a great life. I'm sorry if this all sounds cliche, but it's my experience of having cats since I've been 16 years old. 

I didn't think we'd get another dog again after losing both in 2021. Ralfie we had for 6 months, January-July as some cunts dumped him in the snow emaciated. Rayven since a pup. We found a lump on her and you think it can be treated if cancerous but no, a really rare cancer. Diagnosed in May, somehow made her 6th birthday in August and passed on September. I also lost my Auntie, Uncle and Cousin all to coronavirus that year. I've loved all the pets we've had, I'm 39 now but Rayven the most. We now have two dogs, Offy in November 2021 and Robin in October 2023. Pets are family and sometimes more family than the family you have.

On 4/9/2024 at 3:41 PM, Zimbra said:

I've only been once when I was 15/16 and I was bored that there wasn't much to do but sit by the water.  Now I'm 42 and cannot wait to go and not do much but sit by the water.

I did not get to do much sitting by the water because of bugs but I did a fair bit of drinking beer next to a fire and hanging out with my wife so I call it a successful trip.

• Like 5

This weekend, at my 28th cubing competition, I set a senior (50+) North American record for single solve in 4x4 becoming the first North American senior to get an official solve under 1 minute (59.79 seconds). This kinda came out of nowhere and is my first record. To say I'm stoked about it would be a big understatement. 

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 6

49 minutes ago, Tabe said:

This weekend, at my 28th cubing competition, I set a senior (50+) North American record for single solve in 4x4 becoming the first North American senior to get an official solve under 1 minute (59.79 seconds). This kinda came out of nowhere and is my first record. To say I'm stoked about it would be a big understatement. 

That's something else! Way to go, man! Awesome!

29 minutes ago, dragonzombie said:

Sometimes I miss the 90s and 00's, well the good parts of those decades and not the bad parts. 

Those decades are certainly not without their issues, but not a week goes by that I won't feel at least a little bit of nostalgic towards either or both of those decades! So, I definitely get how you feel!

Oh, and the 80's go without saying, but even the 10's weren't that bad in my view! This decade has sucked badly, so far, though!

Edited by Shartnado
Not that many bad decades in my life so far...

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

Congratulations, Tabe!!  That's awesome!!