DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 3/20 - 3/26/2024 - Do You Wanna Ride In My Mercedes Boy?

10 hours ago, Just Dave said:

Like, there’s no real friendship powerful enough to keep Chuck Taylor from being murdered by Miro. 

Has Chuck Taylor ever been presented as being Miro's equal, though? My recollection of the Arcade Anarchy match was that near the end, there was an extended sequence of all three Best Friends fighting Miro before finally taking him out of the equation.

I mean, I like Miro, but complaining that three guys (none of whom were jobbers) shouldn't be able to take him down seems a bit much.

7 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Has Chuck Taylor ever been presented as being Miro's equal, though? My recollection of the Arcade Anarchy match was that near the end, there was an extended sequence of all three Best Friends fighting Miro before finally taking him out of the equation.

I mean, I like Miro, but complaining that three guys (none of whom were jobbers) shouldn't be able to take him down seems a bit much.

I don't know that I believe those three guys could take Miro out, but your point is taken. Them beating P&P straight up in a parking lot fight felt pretty egregious to me. I don't think Santana & Ortiz ever recovered from that.

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm liking Rampage following Dynamite. I know it's because of the NCAA tournament, but I wouldn't mind more back to back Dynamite/Rampage. 

I don't know why I had this thought, because I have literally zero evidence or indication to support it, but as I was watching I kinda wondered to myself if this was a "backdoor pilot" for a three-hour Wednesday just to see how it does

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm liking Rampage following Dynamite. I know it's because of the NCAA tournament, but I wouldn't mind more back to back Dynamite/Rampage. 

I enjoyed Dynamite/Rampage back to back. Only thing I didn't was the longer running time. Midnight till 3am Thursday morning. Insane the time difference in England to the United States of America.

Last night was so much fun!

Got some pretty good comped seats thanks to my bro and board alum Rob Viper

The past 2 Toronto shows, I've seen Okada/Danielson and Okada/Kingston. So freaking cool.  Okada pulling up in a 'rarri?? Even cooler. Okada vs Pac? ICE COLD.

Jericho/Hook was aight. Curious to see where this goes next week.

Swerve was OVER. HUGE. With all these new stars on the scene, Swerve/Joe may steal the show at Dynasty. And it was great seeing THE BUTCHER. 

Really love Thunder Rosa. But she really showed how much the interest has dropped in Deonna in only a few weeks. Wouldn't mind seeing a Rosa/Deonna feud. And Toni and Mariah are sooo good. I want to watch this match back on TV tonight.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Cope and Christian was WILD. And the crowd loved every minute of it. They got alot of time to have a crazy one on one brawl before the shenanigans started. It's nice to see babyfaces outsmart the heels every now and then lol. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

It's always a treat to get to see SHIBATA wrestle in person. So jealous of Quebec City next week. That was a fun squash.

Rob was shocked that Rocky made it to Toronto, given he had wrestled in Mexico City the night before. And he had a super fun match with Takeshita, although Rocky may have got a little too much. The catch on the 3rd dive was DOPE tho.

I was kinda shocked that Best Friends won the tag match. Shocked in a good way. Hobbs is a freaking beast. Loved that he busted out the Torture Rack.

The street fight was kinda insane. I feel bad for the ladies that the had to do a street fight after the I quit match. But the gave a spectacular, wild performance. 

All In all, a phenomenal night of pro wres. I'm going to Collision in London too....hopefully TK hits us with some more of the good good!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Last night was so much fun!

Got some pretty good comped seats thanks to my bro and board alum Rob Viper

The past 2 Toronto shows, I've seen Okada/Danielson and Okada/Kingston. So freaking cool.  Okada pulling up in a 'rarri?? Even cooler. Okada vs Pac? ICE COLD.

Jericho/Hook was aight. Curious to see where this goes next week.

Swerve was OVER. HUGE. With all these new stars on the scene, Swerve/Joe may steal the show at Dynasty. And it was great seeing THE BUTCHER. 

Really love Thunder Rosa. But she really showed how much the interest has dropped in Deonna in only a few weeks. Wouldn't mind seeing a Rosa/Deonna feud. And Toni and Mariah are sooo good. I want to watch this match back on TV tonight.

8 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Cope and Christian was WILD. And the crowd loved every minute of it. They got alot of time to have a crazy one on one brawl before the shenanigans started. It's nice to see babyfaces outsmart the heels every now and then lol. 

2 minutes ago, Infinit said:

It's always a treat to get to see SHIBATA wrestle in person. So jealous of Quebec City next week. That was a fun squash.

Rob was shocked that Rocky made it to Toronto, given he had wrestled in Mexico City the night before. And he had a super fun match with Takeshita, although Rocky may have got a little too much. The catch on the 3rd dive was DOPE tho.

I was kinda shocked that Best Friends won the tag match. Shocked in a good way. Hobbs is a freaking beast. Loved that he busted out the Torture Rack.

The street fight was kinda insane. I feel bad for the ladies that the had to do a street fight after the I quit match. But the gave a spectacular, wild performance. 

All In all, a phenomenal night of pro wres. I'm going to Collision in London too....hopefully TK hits us with some more of the good good!!

Thank for these. Glad you had a great time. Hope HarryArchieGus did as well.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Just Dave said:

I don't know that I believe those three guys could take Miro out, but your point is taken. Them beating P&P straight up in a parking lot fight felt pretty egregious to me. I don't think Santana & Ortiz ever recovered from that.

I know Miro is single now, but he still won’t fuck you.

• Haha 8

13 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It was like Battle of the Belts but no title matches (we aren’t counting the I quit overrun).

3 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Chucky T lost clean and had to become Miro’s butler

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Death From Above said:

People marking out about belts and I'm over here just happy that Eddie Kingston is having a 3 year run where he has, like, every concievable Kingston dream match one after another. What a fucking ride, man.

I was just thinking about that this morning!  Dude went from working possibly his last show, during Covid in some backyard and selling his boots, to wrestling Japan's top guy of the last decade on national TV.  Good for him.

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I don't know why I had this thought, because I have literally zero evidence or indication to support it, but as I was watching I kinda wondered to myself if this was a "backdoor pilot" for a three-hour Wednesday just to see how it does

Oh sweet Christ I hope not. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Casey said:

I know Miro is single now, but he still won’t fuck you.

I'm not sure how we arrived there. There's not a single imposing or intimidating thing about the Best Friends, and I believe their importance to AEW, with the exception of Orange Cassidy, is vastly overestimated. If that means I want to fuck Miro... I could do a lot worse, I guess.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tbarrie said:

My recollection of the Arcade Anarchy match was that near the end, there was an extended sequence of all three Best Friends fighting Miro before finally taking him out of the equation.

3 hours ago, Just Dave said:

I think along with of the wackiness of the Arcade match, the street match protected PnP by having Orange Cassidy make a surprise attack out of the truck of a car. 
Thinking on it, Best Friends have usually been presented as underdogs or at least not the dominate force of a match until someone outside from Chaos or something joins to even things out. 

• Like 6

Some people will say their favourite Sue moment was the minivan in the Parking Lot Brawl but for me it's this. NSFW:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YxTgizMv9OQ&t=3s&pp=ygUTU3VlIGJlaW5nIHRoZSBlbGl0ZQ%3D%3D

7:07. You see the late great Mr Brodie Lee break character at 7:53 and it's heartwarming.

Edited by The Natural
  • Haha 2

Just now, Just Dave said:

I believe their importance to AEW, with the exception of Orange Cassidy, is vastly overestimated.

Eh, they’re a midcard team that can be used for either funny moments or a needed mid show feud. 
I can respectfully see not liking them (Chuck Taylor might be an acquired taste).
RAMBLE: Maybe I’m fond of them being the thing that made me smile in the original AEW. More so than the JungleSquad or Private Party. I really feel connected with Best Friends. They don’t really need to do much (I’d like a thanks for your service title run but…) I’m just happy they’re still there to make me smile.

For body shapes, I know this is a tough topic. I like how OC is skinny and wrestles a unique way to take on the big bullies and sexy athletes. I love how I could see me having a spicy chicken sandwich with Chuck Taylor after he Awful Waffles someone. I’m nowhere near them in actual shape, but I relate to them and maybe subconsciously cheer them on because of it. They’re also willing to be silly. Don’t take life to seriously and I can relate to that. In a brawl I’m sure they’d get beat up pretty good but at the same time I wouldn’t count them out. They got whatever It is.

I also like how AEW has groups that support each other, I don’t watch New Japan much but it’s how I assume they operate. Even hip hop. Tupac has the Outlawz, 50 Cent has G-Unit, Busta Rhymes has Flipmode, Eminem has D-12, etc. It’s cute seeing Orange Cassidy and Statlander have the Best Friends. Willow and Danhausen are like Wu-Tang affiliates Redman and RA The Ruggedman. 
Yuta leaving was cool. I wish more happened with it, but I remembered that was fun. They really helped established Yuta’s personality before his full on BCC dickish antics.
I forget the specific match, but I love the shot of them walking up the ramp completely bloodied and dazed after a victory. It just felt like AEW and I was so happy to see it. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I still want Eddie Kingston to win the AEW World Championship at some point. Figure Swerve Strickland beats Samoa Joe for the AEW World Championship at AEW Dynasty but loses it to Will Ospreay at AEW All In London. Who beats Ospreay?

• Like 2

@Octopuswell said, and if I had the wherewithal yesterday I'd have said similar.

I think BFs are like a natural evolution of the same kind of 'wish fulfillment' character that made like Steve Austin super easy to identify with in the '90s (who doesn't wanna kick their boss' ass?) or for a more contemporary example, Hangman during his initial journey to the title (an anxious millennial is typing this!) but just less... Antisocial? If that's the correct word.

And on that note, it may be a bit generational: for me, watching their Highspots interview show felt a lot like a night with my circle, killing a 30 of Natty Light and shooting the shit. I don't know that people really do that anymore.

If Kingston's the heart, these guys are the soul IMO

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, Just Dave said:

I'm not sure how we arrived there. There's not a single imposing or intimidating thing about the Best Friends, and I believe their importance to AEW, with the exception of Orange Cassidy, is vastly overestimated. If that means I want to fuck Miro... I could do a lot worse, I guess.

I realize this is your schtick when it comes to Cole, the Bucks, etc. but it’s just such a weird fucking take.

As a 42 year old relatively beefy guy, there’s plenty of dudes I don’t find “imposing” or “intimidating”. Top Flight, Kommander, Fenix, Swerve, to name a few. I sure do like watching them wrestle though. Not being a fan is fine, whatever, different strokes, but having that reason being because you wouldn’t be scared to fight them is really bizarre. It’s fake dude.

Edited by MKERyan
  • Like 2