DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA XL - 4/6 & 4/7/2024

Dolfan in NYC

I think I need to rewatch Bayley and Sky.  I liked it but people are rating it much higher than me

I do want to say I loved Iyo in NXT and I thought her WM entrance was very cool with her video playing on the big screens.  Is that the same video she always uses?  It's perfect.  I kind of miss Poppy showing up to sing her to the ring

I didn't even notice that Seth dyed his hair.  Even bigger geek than I thought. 

I'm listening to Observer Radio and Dave is saying that they somehow found the literal watch Dusty pawned and Bryan is like, "dude........"  If you like Dave being obtuse and arguing with Bryan over dumb shit this one is for you!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

I'm listening to Observer Radio and Dave is saying that they somehow found the literal watch Dusty pawned and Bryan is like, "dude........"  If you like Dave being obtuse and arguing with Bryan over dumb shit this one is for you!

The constant interruptions by Dave Meltzer particularly grate. The "you know" as well by Dave. Bryan Alvarez gets on my wick as well.

Roman/Sami is the best one

It’s kind of interesting. The title run and Bloodline stuff ran from 2020 to 2024. I’d argue that Roman and the group were at peak powers at Wargames 2022, which is almost exactly halfway through. So it almost really was a four year long tale of the rise and fall. A nice bell curve there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

It’s kind of interesting. The title run and Bloodline stuff ran from 2020 to 2024. I’d argue that Roman and the group were at peak powers at Wargames 2022, which is almost exactly halfway through. So it almost really was a four year long tale of the rise and fall. A nice bell curve there.

I get why the list that got posted had something else as number one because it’s @The Natural and not having Bryan at number one wouldn’t happen. But I agree the Sami match should be number one, and I’d put the match from last night a close second. I also would definitely put his defenses against Drew and Logan Paul from 2022 in the top 5.

Screw it here’s my top 5:

1) vs Sami Elimination Chamber 23

2) vs Cody Rhodes WrestleMania 40

3) vs Logan Paul Crown Jewel 22

4) vs Drew McIntyre Clash At The Castle 22

5) vs Seth Rollins Royal Rumble 22

So basically all matches where they actually built the drama well and made Roman look vulnerable. 

Edited by Just Adam Bay Bay
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Seth is the ultimate company man, looked like the biggest goof all weekend but went all-in on the bit. Even being the last one up during the celebration. I don't know what direction he goes in next, maybe a break if his back is really an issue, but I hope he gets something nice in return.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Loki said:

Those are all good. I do remember Roman having a really good match or two with AJ Styles.

They were before the endless run. The only reason I remember is they had clean finishes and zero bloodline BS.

I agree that Sami/Roman was the best match but that's my bias. It was definitely the hottest match and whether they should've pulled the trigger on Zayn will forever be one of those big What Ifs in wrestling

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Just Adam Bay Bay said:

I get why the list that got posted had something else as number one because it’s @The Natural and not having Bryan at number one wouldn’t happen. But I agree the Sami match should be number one, and I’d put the match from last night a close second. I also would definitely put his defenses against Drew and Logan Paul from 2022 in the top 5.

Screw it here’s my top 5:

1) vs Sami Elimination Chamber 23

2) vs Cody Rhodes WrestleMania 40

3) vs Logan Paul Crown Jewel 22

4) vs Drew McIntyre Clash At The Castle 22

5) vs Seth Rollins Royal Rumble 22

So basically all matches where they actually built the drama well and made Roman look vulnerable. 

I nearly went with Reigns/Rhodes II on top spot. If I were to redo my list, it would for historical significance.  I forgot about Reigns/McIntyre Clash at the Castle '22 even though I remembered the Survivor Series 2020 which hardly gets brought up. The CATC match should have made it. WarGames also from Survivor Series 2022. Thanks, For Great Control.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

I agree that Sami/Roman was the best match but that's my bias. It was definitely the hottest match and whether they should've pulled the trigger on Zayn will forever be one of those big What Ifs in wrestling

It's a big one with Reigns/Rhodes at WrestleMania XXXIX. With hindsight, did right delaying it a year.

1 minute ago, WebConn89 said:

Cody won. He did it. Mania ended with a feel good moment it’s been a while since that has happened.

I'd say WrestleMania XXX 10 years ago.

Bret Hart at WrestleMania X.

Chris Benoit at WrestleMania XX.

Daniel Bryan at WrestleMania XXX.

Cody Rhodes at WrestleMania XL.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Wasn't this last year basically treading water?  Roman had already beat everyone of note and there didn't seem to be any intrigue in the Bloodline after Jey was out.  Roman was barely around

I'll always believe the original plan was Cody winning last year and Vince changed his mind when he sold to Endeavor and wanted Roman to be the face of the new company

Edited by ExcellenceofAirPollution

5 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I'd say WrestleMania XXX 10 years ago.

Bret Hart at WrestleMania X.

Chris Benoit at WrestleMania XX.

Daniel Bryan at WrestleMania XXX.

Cody Rhodes at WrestleMania XL.

I agree with all of that 

• Thanks 1

What they did with Priest turned out to be way better than those few days they were teasing Cody/Seth and I was saying that match would turn into Priest’s cash-in to keep Cody from taking the fall.

• Like 1

I think Roman/Sami might be the best match in the WWE. Ever. There were certainly matches with more intricate moves and the like (even though their match was great technically) but wrestling is ultimately about emotional manipulation. They had one of the handful of the hottest crowds ever eating out of the palm of their hands and then gave us the ultimate moment in heartbreak. We don’t get taken on rides like that very often. The best villain of his era versus the best babyface looking for ultimate redemption after recovering from the dark side. Plus, Roman in the match was punching Sami in the face while saying to Sami’s wife stuff like “I wanted to take care of you and your family.”

• Like 4

I've seen enough clips of the main event's last few minutes to piece together what happened and, from this perspective, and using Gregg's HHHyperBowl, the stuff with Rollins is legitimately the funniest thing they've done since Heenan left in the early 90s. Rollins being so self aware that he realized he was a pathetic shadow of the actual stars of years' past that were running out and that the only way he could make a real impact on history was to come out in the Shield gear with the world's most punchable face and distract Reigns by giving him something that he simply had to hit.. hilarious. That's ultimate rat boy stuff right now. If Rollins had been working like Ogawa for the last decade, he'd probably be on my GWE 100 list. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Sami's story was better than Cody's imo, but I get why the people in charge would pick Cody to be the one to dethrone Roman.  Cody is now a polish interview, and generally good at PR. It would have been fun to see a short Sami reign during that time though.

I'm not a big Cody guy but considering the old school babyface he's playing, I think a lot his run is going to be determined by the quality of his rogues' gallery of heels during his run. If they aren't interesting and doing interesting things to him, his act could get stale. I wonder who they have lined up (minus the Rock).

Edited by _MJ_

2 minutes ago, _MJ_ said:

I'm not a big Cody guy but considering the old school babyface he's playing, I think a lot his run is going to be determined by the quality of his rogues' gallery of heels during his run. If they aren't interesting and doing interesting things to him, his act could get stale. I wonder who they have lined up (minus the Rock).

This is a great callout and something they have really struggled with in similar spots in the past (Bryan getting Kane immediately comes to mind, but there are other examples). 

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

I nearly went with Reigns/Rhodes II on top spot. If I were to redo my list, it would for historical significance.  I forgot about Reigns/McIntyre Clash at the Castle '22 even though I remembered the Survivor Series 2020 which hardly gets brought up. The CATC match should have made it. WarGames also from Survivor Series 2022. Thanks, For Great Control.

I really enjoyed the Survivor Series 20 match too. You’re right on that. And Wargames 22 is one that narrowly missed my list. But I had to include the Logan Paul match for how good it was, and the fact I’m definitely a Logan Paul mark. I don’t think he’s the best person in the world (or in the top million even), but his wrestling ability is phenomenal. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

This is a great callout and something they have really struggled with in similar spots in the past (Bryan getting Kane immediately comes to mind, but there are other examples). 

Exactly.

It's why the world title scene with Punk/Drew/Seth, and now Priest has some spice to it.  Anyone one of them could credibly win that title, and keep the audience interested (well, maybe Priest plus Judgement Day).

They should do the same with Cody, especially if Roman and Rock are gone for a bit. This is one reason why I think they might turn Seth on him eventually.

Edited by _MJ_
  • Like 1