DVDVR Message Board

2023-24 NBA: 2ND HALF

Dolfan in NYC

It's the All-Star Break!  

Dunk off and the 3 point shootout is tonight! 

All Star Game tomorrow!    Let's check in on the East's Head Coach:

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, hammerva said:

Kenny Smith is usually miserable when he isnt talking about himself but he is extra awful tonight.  Like someone told him he is working for free

Heard some people say he sounded drunk?  I haven't listened to any clips but I know he's getting roasted for criticizing Sabrina Ionescu for...shooting from the NBA 3pt line?  Even though she scored more points than everybody but Steph?  What an idiot.

7 hours ago, Tabe said:

Heard some people say he sounded drunk?  I haven't listened to any clips but I know he's getting roasted for criticizing Sabrina Ionescu for...shooting from the NBA 3pt line?  Even though she scored more points than everybody but Steph?  What an idiot.

Yeah, he ranted and raved about how Sabrina should have shot from the WNBA line, and she would have done better if she had. Reggie Miller basically called him a misogynist in not so many words over it. It's not an exact quote but he said something like "you're basically telling her to go back and play with dolls instead of a basketball".

4 hours ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

Yeah, he ranted and raved about how Sabrina should have shot from the WNBA line, and she would have done better if she had. Reggie Miller basically called him a misogynist in not so many words over it. It's not an exact quote but he said something like "you're basically telling her to go back and play with dolls instead of a basketball".

Good for Reggie. 

• Like 2

Fuck the all star game, Clayton Crowley is back with another banger of an NBA history video, this time on Big Shot Rob.

Fun fact: this video contains the moment of terror that I'm pretty sure will flash through my mind and be the last thing I think of before I die.

So, you're Adam Silver...how do you get players to actually put forth competitive effort in the All-Star game?  We're not going to suddenly have the cutthroat mentality of Bird/Isiah/MJ transplanted into 2024 players to have the game be naturally competitive, so what are some potential solutions?

Edited by Tabe

It looked like it's going the way the Pro Bowl did where it was obvious nobody wanted to risk injury in having a competitive game.  Especially with this one happening mid season.  So to take a cue from the NFL it might be time to make some changes where the expectation is low but more fun could be had watching.

On Discord some of us were discussing it and there ideas of having a full-on NBA Jam vibe to it.  We were thinking a 2-on-2 system where each player on a 16-man team plays a half quarter (second part is my idea).  Get Tim Kitzrow on the call and you're in business.  And even if they don't go full-on Jam there's still elements of that to be used to make for a fun time watching.  But as it is despite super far 3-pointers it just wasn't fun for me to watch.

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't think you're going to see anything where the players or team management goes "this is an exhibition game, we're not taking the risk on participating in this when we have the entire rest of the season to go". If they're going to sit players for regular season games that count for something, then I don't think the All-Star game will require a second thought.

I'll say that I enjoy the All-Star game. As a basketball game, it's trash. As the NBA's take on the Harlem Globetrotters, it's fun, and seeing the players goof off and launch ridiculous passes or half-court shots once a year is fine for me. I prefer things like the skills competition and the three-point contest (Reggie Miller suggested Steph Curry and Dame Lillard against Sabrina Ionescu and Caitlin Clark in a team shootout next year, and I started to salivate), but the game itself is a nice waste of two and a half hours and that's probably all it's ever going to be at this point where everyone's obsessed with managing their minutes and getting their players as close to full strength to the playoffs as possible.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Tabe said:

So, you're Adam Silver...how do you get players to actually put forth competitive effort in the All-Star game?  We're not going to suddenly have the cutthroat mentality of Bird/Isiah/MJ transplanted into 2024 players to have the game be naturally competitive, so what are some potential solutions?

Losing team has to give their ASG contract bonuses to the winners?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mister TV said:

Have they ever said why they won't change the name? It's always going to be a punchline and its kind of lame, even going back to when they were in San Diego. 

Apparently - if you believe this story that ESPN posted earlier

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39586633/nba-story-clippers-new-uniforms-logos

When Ballmer purchased the team, they looked at all aspects including changing the team name. However, fan feedback was overwhelming against changing the name

Feedback from fans was consistently against a potential name change, team officials said, describing the fan response to any suggestion of a name change as "outright hostility."

The feedback struck Ballmer. "The focus groups are advisory, not definitive," Ballmer told ESPN. "But I still listen to them, and I have heard, partially to my surprise, that there is no interest in a name change. I had thought about [the name] years ago, before I got the team, but we heard similar reactions back then."

I would assume this is fairly similar logic to why the Jazz never changed their name

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

oof.

For thow who don't follow baseball, that's the Cleveland AAA affiliate roasting the Clippers over an open fire.

BTW, if you have any money, you may wanna lay a small wager on the Kings to beat Miami tonight. 

Jimmy Butler & Nikola Jovic are serving suspensions for a fight in the NO game over the weekend.  Also, all these guys are hurt: Thomas Bryant, Dru Smith, Josh Richardson, Tyler Herro and Scary Terry. 

10 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

BTW, if you have any money, you may wanna lay a small wager on the Kings to beat Miami tonight. 

Jimmy Butler & Nikola Jovic are serving suspensions for a fight in the NO game over the weekend.  Also, all these guys are hurt: Thomas Bryant, Dru Smith, Josh Richardson, Tyler Herro and Scary Terry. 

Pro-tip: don't take gambling advice from the DVDVRMB

• Haha 2

I thought about it for about 2 minutes, saw one of the betting lines on it was SAC -7.5, and then recalled the Memphis/Milwaukee game just before the Break where Giannis & Dame lost to some guys 3 weeks out from rec-ball pick-up games.  Decided I was good with my $5 in my pocket.

Forget games on TNT, Shaq messing with Chuck about social media (S: "Just add #onlyfans!" Chuck: "Is that for only fans of mine?") is the real highlight tonight.

Edited by Contentious C