DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 1/10 - 1/16/2024 - I Know Why The Christian Caged Bird Sings

46 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

Really hoping the Bucks thing is a misdirection. That's a fine Dynamite tag in a few weeks, but Darby being the only guy to pin Sting in AEW is the only way to go here. Sting never actually gave an answer, so I'm hopeful.

Who’s gonna be Sting’s partner? Because they’ve made it fairly clear Sting isn’t interested in working a singles match. 

Honestly, Matt Koon (podcast co-host for Dax and Regal) has been calling the Bucks for the Sting finale, so I was kinda excited when they showed up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I never thought Sting would work a singles for his last match ever. I was hoping Sting/Darby Allin vs. #FTR II. Sting/Darby Allin vs. #FTR at AEW Grand Slam Dynamite 2021 is still my favourite Sting/Darby Allin tag team match.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Copeland’s Maple Leafs/Brodie shirt was cool. IIRC, there was talk of the WWE fantasy hockey league on the E&C pod, and Christian characteristically came off as a dick. Good stuff. 

It was a Violent Gentlemen shirt being sold right after Brodie passed with proceeds going to Brodie’s family. I remember trying to buy one and they were all sold out online and I went back some months later and they were no longer being sold. It would be cool if they would sell them again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

Probably the Judas thing was to avoid booing or NDA chants.

That may be the case, but shouldn't there be "we are sorry/we fucked up" dueling chants now that the fans were completely in the wrong during that fiasco? It should work both ways, goddammit. Hey, Jericho has done a lot of shit, just not that particular shit, so people should own up.

To their credit, Dailys Place crowd seemed to be cheering for him, so good on them.

Also, it could have been a reference to the previous arena brawls during which music was played, sort of promoting the upcoming street fight?

Edited by Shartnado
Could it be?
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As soon as I saw the ending, I knew that the internet would have the most level headed reactions to the Bucks being Sting's last opponent.

I'm going to go ahead and take a wild guess that Sting himself handpicked his last opponent, so while not being a big fan of the Bucks(despite liking their matches for the most part), I have no issue.  I also think it's somewhat refreshing in a way that we're not going to get a Darby v Sting match.  A partnership that doesn't lead to a "fight" is something you don't see often in wrestling.  Shit, even FTR has only faced each other once (I was at that show in Philly, really happy I got to see that live).

Armchair booking and handwringing what was likely Sting's choice just seems...weird to me.  The guy earned the right to pick his final opponent, no matter what personal feelings people have towards the opponents in question.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I will say the upside is getting a pissy ironic segment where the Bucks just say whatever about Flair. In general, the match should be fine but the build will be painful, past said Flair bit.

(and I would have preferred Danielson/Mox, but I would have also preferred Athena/Billie so maybe that’s not saying much.)

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Good show but that announcement was something.  Sting in his last match against The Young Bucks who are ice fucking cold. Alright Lol. 

Jesus on a pole match 

• Haha 1

Through everything but the main.

• As noted, I liked Claudio vs Hangman. Hangman matches are better when he's fighting from underneath for two reasons that are, I think, self-enforcing. One, the matches where he's not are often when he's against someone smaller and/or younger. Because he lacks early and mid-level offense and most of what he has are bombs, if he's controlling things early, he's throwing those bombs too early. It also means he's more apt to be the one calling things. I should just write about this next week. But this was fine. The strength spot was amazing. Etc. So on.
  • Part of why I want to write about Claudio vs Hangman is that I don't really want to write about the 8 man even though it has Dustin and I should be obliged. Basically, Khan put us in a position where we had to suspend our disbelief. The Anna Jay match was one thing. She didn't necessarily turn on the Dark Order so much as she turned towards the JAS and against someone like Ruby Soho, right? 10 turned directly on -1 in what should have been the biggest heatseeking angle in the last two years. And it just wasn't. Anna's had some character since. Vance really hasn't. You can take a breathe given the sanctity of the moment and accept that he should be there in this match, that he was playing the role that he was playing, etc., but it all just felt weird not because of any pro wrestling need for logic in general, because you can look past that in some circumstances, but because he turned so hard on -1. He even had Jose out there and I get why. The stuff with Anna is leading to a match with Julia. Is this leading somewhere? If so they need to deal with things moving forward. As a match itself, you just try to look at it as something that doesn't count, as a "Very Special Episode" or something. An elseworlds. But the Mogul Embassy had more beef with Archer than Dustin or Cassidy did with Vance. I liked the match. I loved the suplex tradeoff thing. I liked how Mogul Embassy had an advantage because of their superior teaming experience but then blew it due to an inability to work with Archer.  And then you had Jake punching Jose and Archer admonishing him it was all just weird. The build to the chokeslam is great. The rapid fire stuff at the end was great fun. Watching Copeland take Kaun's lungblower thing is just weird! But Vance did literally the worst thing anyone has ever done in AEW and I think we needed just a little more than "Maybe Tony Khan is trying to bring him back to the light."
  • Thought Starks looked good for the most part against Sammy, but babyface Sammy is just so lame. He needs grit somehow. Needs a House of Black Feud where they take out his eye or something. 
  • At this point, I do think Roddy needs to beat Cassidy very soon. The Kingdom needs the belt more. Keith match was good but he really does need a couple of wins here or there so it matters more when he gets beaten. I'm excited for Bandido to eventually get back. 
  • Luther laughing at Mariah May was great. 
  • 8-woman tag had some fun stuff (and some rough stuff). Saraya interacting with Skye Blue and Julia felt like two worlds colliding. They've made Rosa feel like an attraction by having her come out last and not having an immediate follow up to the tag in San Antonio (where normally that might have been detrimental). Anna's presence felt a little more organic. They did the multi person suplex spot instead of the crazy criss-cross and that's why they're all alive today. 
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, mystman said:

I'm no wrestlologist or anything. I'm just a simple wrestling fan living in complicated wrestling times. But shouldn't Sting's final match be against....I dunno.... DARBY?!?!?!?!

11 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

guessing Sting might not actually be able to work a singles match worthy of that moment

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

I never thought Sting would work a singles for his last match ever. I was hoping Sting/Darby Allin vs. #FTR II. Sting/Darby Allin vs. #FTR at AEW Grand Slam Dynamite 2021 is still my favourite Sting/Darby Allin tag team match.

I called for a Darby singles but only operating under the idea that Darby might be small enough for Sting to be able to play the hits with, and not get blown up (not a knock on Darby's size at all whatsoever, just thinking logically) - if Sting doesn't want that or feel he can deliver, I am in no way going to argue with that.

The Bucks are an intriguing choice. It seems kind of strange on it's surface, but I thought back to some of their old shoot interviews, and reading their book: those guys are are only a couple of years older than me, and wrote/talked pretty deeply about how the only thing they wanted out of life as children was to be in the NWO. From that perspective, love them or hate them, this must be cool as shit for those guys.

I do agree FTR would have been a really cool choice (especially in Greensboro) but I get the idea of wanting to wrap up with something we haven't seen before (As natch noted, they had a banger at Grand Slam I - and, yeah I acknowledge that I'm biased having been in the house - but I truly don't see them topping that one). Maybe they still get involved, maybe it's a multi-team affair, or as others have said maybe it's a red herring- we've got a while to go yet

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

8-woman tag had some fun stuff (and some rough stuff). Saraya interacting with Skye Blue and Julia felt like two worlds colliding.

It was brief, but I enjoyed it enough to where I don't think I'd mind either a feud or an alliance involving those three, based around Saraya kind of taking an "I invented what you're doing, and this is how you *really* do it" approach - I guess the best tonal comparison I could make would be some of the earlier Jake/Archer stuff, more specifically some of Jake's promos on Cody

• Like 3

Funny you should say that @Coletti, as I also fell asleep on the couch this morning and therefore missed most of the main event, except for the Bucks coming out.

Hangman vs Claudio ruled, obviously. Surprisingly strong victory by Page, not that I'm about to complain about Page going over too strong, unless he's in the ring with PAC or Buddy Matthews.

Both 8-person matches were alright, with the biggest thing coming out of those being Anna vs Julia and Cage& Gates of Agony vs Archer & The Righteous on Saturday.

Roddy wins over Bounty Hunter. Undisputed Kingdom will be facing The Scissor Club soon enough, you can see Austin Gunn being the voice of reason between those teams. Wait, what?

Sammy with another win over Starks. I hope this doesn't mean there will be a title switch on Saturday. Who am I kidding, it's a Battle of the Belts, of course there isn't!

Joe with a strong promo, good for Swerve and Hangman to come and do exactly what Joe said was not gonna fly anymore. Well, at least HOOK has the win-loss record for a title shot! I like HOOK. A lot, actually but the fact that he has the absolute shit-worst, negatively inspiring theme music of the entire roster, does not do him any favors, with me, anyway. Some people must like it, he wouldn't use it otherwise, right?

Either way, this is a good way to use him, and the fact that he has won almost all of his matches. He actually deserves a shot at something!

Didn't see enough of the main event to comment, except for the Bucks. Yeah, no. This is not the time. Because who ever it was going to be, they had better be going over Sting there. Well, Matt Jackson pinning Sting to retire him would be quality trolling, I must admit, but still!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Who’s gonna be Sting’s partner?

To quote another wrestler, "you've got to be JOKING me"

4 hours ago, Just Dave said:

I think my man Rick Starks got concussed. I’m pretty sure that wasn’t the planned finish. 

It looked like he hurt his arm on the dive, which they pointed out on commentary. Could have went home early cause of that. 

I totally forgot about the Roddy Strong match even though Keith was in it. I wonder why? There's no way it could be that Roddy does not stand out as a wrestler in any way shape or form besides a modicum of stiffness. 

This board is weird, I swear. Look, I get the Bucks aren’t all of y’all’s cup of tea, but Sting can’t do a singles match. Hell, he even has to do cinematic matches as a tag match. So who else would be better to put Sting and Darby up against than the Bucks. As characters, the Bucks are dickheads, they want to send Sting out with a loss, but in reality, there’s fewer teams more appropriate than the Bucks that can ALSO protect Sting and bump around like pinballs for him. This is the logical and best conclusion given Sting’s capabilities. Now, if maybe Sting wasn’t going full Cactus Jack in most of his tag matches then he’d be able to physically do the singles match against Darby, but he looked seriously fucked up at the end of that match last night. I don’t want to see Sting all broken down looking sad as fuck in his final match like Flair did. Give him the tag match against the Bucks and let Nick and Matt bump around the ring for Sting like crazy.

I am almost sure that if it were physically possible that Sting would want to do the honors for Darby, but I just don’t think he’s capable of doing it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

The only other team I could see maybe being a better fit is some kind of combination from the HoB, but the prospect of that is legitimately terrifying.

Pop quiz: would you rather have the Revolution match be the Young Bucks or the Nemeth Brothers.

It hurts like shoving a pen into my eye but I’m leaning Nemeth. 

One should never lean Nemeth.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Pop quiz: would you rather have the Revolution match be the Young Bucks or the Nemeth Brothers.

I feel bad saying it cause it's their real name, but my God "The Nemeth Brothers" is so freakin' Mulkey-riffic. So much that it actually goes full circle and crosses over into me kinda liking it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Could also be the Hardy Boys, in theory

Triple post, but it does suck that Revolution should basically be the ultimate tribute show for Sting and WWE owns the bulk of classic Sting footage that could be used in video packages. There’s the TNA footage, but I want clips of Sting vs Flair, or Vader, or Sid, or Hogan, or Bret, or his entrance from WM, or the War Games matches, and so on. Maybe there’s a chance, albeit very slim, that WWE rents the footage out to AEW for a hefty sum. I mean, it couldn’t be more than the cost to use The Final Countdown. It’s HHH kind of in charge so maybe he sees the importance of letting it happen.

I just have this image in my head of Sting’s final entrance where it starts out with a look alike without the jacket with pauldrons coming out to:

That being his best music…To me anyway…Then we get the look alike with jacket and pauldrons coming out to The Man They Call Sting. Then another look alike in the sad makeup and trenchcoat comes out to:

Do a red and black look alike coming out to Metallica’s Seek and Destroy even if he came out to that at Wembley. And then finally have him come out to his AEW entrance. And yeah, Jericho did something similar, but this entrance for Sting’s final match would be so fucking epic. 

I just know one thing, I’m going to be in tears. I’m not ready for it to be over. I was a WWF kid, but man, if my favorite as a kid wasn’t Ricky Steamboat then it was definitely Sting. He’s the reason I got into WCW/NWA. His matches with Muta are likely the reason I got into Japanese wrestling. The entire storyline of him going into silence and waiting forever to challenge Hogan is still one of the best ever even if they didn’t stick the landing (because what is wrestling without a great story and not sticking the landing). Dude is one of my all time favorites, didn’t need to do any of this stuff, and yet he did anyway.

To kinda quote Moneyball, how can you not be romantic about pro wrestling?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Heel Hardys and Jeff can finally get his win back from that one PPV main event on TNA!

RANKING:

1. Athena/Billie Starkz
  2. Hardy Boyz
  3. Nemeth Brothers
  4. Young Bucks
  5. Hardy Boyz but Jeff is in no condition to wrestle and Sting has to immediately hit a Scorpion Death Drop. 
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2