DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2023 - WILD CARD ROUND

RIPPA

Saturday, January 13, 2024
4:30 p.m. Browns at Texans (NBC, Peacock)
8:15 p.m. Dolphins at Chiefs (Peacock)

Sunday, January 14, 2024
1 p.m. Steelers at Bills (CBS)
4:30 p.m. Packers at Cowboys (Fox)
8:15 p.m. Rams at Lions (NBC, Peacock)

Monday, January 15, 2024
8:15 p.m. Eagles at Buccaneers (ABC, ESPN, ESPN2)

I'm not a fan of football at the moment.    Though the other fun fact about this season is the three Lake Erie teams (Detroit, Cleveland, and Buffalo) have all made it to the playoffs for the first time in NFL history.

• Like 2

TJ Watt has already been ruled Out for the game at Buffalo because of a Grade 2 MCL sprain.  His "best case" is to potentially come back the week after that. 

The bullshit is real in Pittsburgh and unfortunately I don't see much of a difference between this game against the Bills then the Chiefs last year where it was over at halftime.  I know people will say that the Bills aren't as good as the Chiefs last year.  Well without TJ Watt neither is the Steelers  I just wonder if terrible weather would actually help us.  I mean really terrible weather like Saturday only 10 degrees colder.

I think the Bills have a legitimate shot to reach the AFC Championship but man Baltimore is going to be really tough to beat. Aside from them, none of the AFC teams are overly scary and have as many cons as pros (clumping the Bills into that category too) so I wouldn't be surprised if there are some upsets and random chaos. Same in the NFC, outside of the 49ers no one has really been playing lights-out. Everything feels a lot more "open" this year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I think the Bills have a legitimate shot to reach the AFC Championship but man Baltimore is going to be really tough to beat. Aside from them, none of the AFC teams are overly scary and have as many cons as pros (clumping the Bills into that category too) so I wouldn't be surprised if there are some upsets and random chaos. Same in the NFC, outside of the 49ers no one has really been playing lights-out. Everything feels a lot more "open" this year.

Flacco would need to have the game of his life, but I think the team in the AFC that could beat them is Cleveland.  I'm not sure if anyone else gets within 2 scores of them on this side of the bracket.  

SF being pissed about being embarrassed a few weeks ago would make for a fun Superb Owl.  

• Like 1

Dan Campbell said today that there is an "outside shot" that TE Sam LaPorta plays in this week's game

The Lions aren't going to add a TE to the roster so the expectation is LaPorta will miss, max, one game (assuming Detroit advances)

1 minute ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Flacco would need to have the game of his life, but I think the team in the AFC that could beat them is Cleveland.  I'm not sure if anyone else gets within 2 scores of them on this side of the bracket.  

SF being pissed about being embarrassed a few weeks ago would make for a fun Superb Owl.  

I'm just assuming that at some point, Flacco is going to Flacco. Unless he has a flashback to 2012, he's just been really mediocre for the last eight years, it would be unreal to me if he doesn't hit a snag. Although they can certainly beat Houston (no offense to our resident Texans fan).

• Like 2

Lions v Browns Super Bowl would be wild. The only two no win teams in modern NFL history battling it out. I'd really like to see that.

But I'd also really like to see The Bills finally get there and win one. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I'm just assuming that at some point, Flacco is going to Flacco. Unless he has a flashback to 2012, he's just been really mediocre for the last eight years, it would be unreal to me if he doesn't hit a snag. Although they can certainly beat Houston (no offense to our resident Texans fan).

Martin reffed the Jags at Texans game where there was never a third down they couldn’t not throw defensive holding or PI even when Lawrence threw thr bell 10 feet out of bounds.

In CJ I trust, but I don’t know if we can the Browns and the refs 

Fuck I’m just happy to be here

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Lions v Browns Super Bowl would be wild. The only two no win teams in modern NFL history battling it out. I'd really like to see that.

But I'd also really like to see The Bills finally get there and win one. 

Not just that - neither team has even been to the Super Bowl.

• Like 2

Well, lots of teams haven't been to the SB and/or won it (LAC, AZ, Bengals, Bills, etc).  I think NFJF refers to the '08 and '17 seasons where they literally did not win a game.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 2

Since I don't hold grudges and only look at my own team's best interests, I'll be rooting for Miami this weekend as I'd rather the Bills face (if they win) the winner of Texans/Browns than KC. I know KC is shaky this season but everyone is and I feel like they would be super hyped to avenge their loss against the Bills.

On 1/10/2024 at 12:02 PM, hammerva said:

I guess it is a good thing that the Dolphins have played many games in Buffalo because as of today the expected temperature in Kansas City for Saturday night is -5 degrees. 

Forecast is now for wind chills of -30F at kick-off.  This would make it the coldest game in 42 years.   (SD/CIN, -59F, the coldest game ever)

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Forecast is now for wind chills of -30F at kick-off.  This would make it the coldest game in 42 years.   (SD/CIN, -59F, the coldest game ever)

Go Dolphins! Winning at Arrowhead in those conditions would be a glorious upset! Fuck Mahomes and Maauto 

On 1/8/2024 at 9:46 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'm not a fan of football at the moment.    Though the other fun fact about this season is the three Lake Erie teams (Detroit, Cleveland, and Buffalo) have all made it to the playoffs for the first time in NFL history.

This is the least interesting group of storylines and they’re trying so hard to sell them like a big deal. They do seem almost scripted, but not dramatically scripted towards any kind of climax. More like WCW Lethal Lottery 1996 scripted where you could tell they all just sat in a room and wrote down matches where every pair of guys were either feuding or had recently rassled each other and been really really mad during the match. It’s a shame because it’s otherwise going to be great when everything comes out in the wash like always.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

KC thought they'd have the worst weather of the weekend, Buffalo said "hold my beer"

https://twitter.com/weather_buffalo/status/1745548848993288354

Not sure if that will embed, but basically its going to be a shit storm on Sunday. I don't take seriously the rumors about the game being moved to a different location, but if the weather is "worst case scenario" I could see them moving it to Monday or something.

Frankly the only chance the Steelers have is if the weather is just awful and it turns into a complete running game.  Even if Josh Allen has experience in Buffalo weather..   And the Bills still don't' realize that they have a James Cook.   

• Like 1