DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JANUARY 2024

14 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Tennessee, much like Florida, might as well be three or four different states rolled into one. It borders eight other states.

And they all suck.

• Haha 1

On 1/9/2024 at 10:04 AM, Infinit said:

@Gordi the former AEW fanany good Diamond Timothy Flowers stories? 

Sorry for the delay in responding. I have been trying to come up with a story worth telling that won't make anyone look or feel too bad if it gets back to them. 

The first piece of writing I ever sold was a story on Big John Tenta. The second was an interview with Tim. Both of them were really generous with their time, at least partly because I had connections at Wrestling's Main Event magazine and it sure wasn't going to hurt their careers any to get their story and picture into one of the New York rags.  But also they were both, in my opinion, genuinely decent human beings. Both were LEGIT tough guys, too. But they expressed it differently. John was very quiet and laid back in real life. Tim Flowers was larger than life. Like a John Wayne or Clint Eastwood character. More than once, I heard him say, "As long as you don't mess with me, my family, my house, my dog, or my car, we're not going to have any problem." And as much as anyone I have ever met, I got the distinct sense that you'd really have to be some kind of idiot to mess with Tim.

He absolutely had everyone's respect. Here's the story: I was one of a big group of wrestlers, etc, invited to Tim's home for the goodbye party before he left to work in Calgary. (Which in the end didn't work out for him). Here he was, talking openly in front of a group of wrestlers about how Stu had said the only two "worth a shit" in Vancouver were him and Tenta. And NOBODY was offended. We could all see that they were on a different level. But to me, THAT is respect.

I definitely respected him. Learned a fair bit from him in the short time I knew him. 

i do remember being bummed out when he started promoting shows in Vancouver after the collapse of All Star, and declared that anyone who wanted to work for him wasn't allowed to work for any other promoter in the area. 

I worked for Rocky DellaSera, and was on friendly terms with Michelle Starr and Mike Roselli, so that was that. Last I heard, he was still living in BC and working the occasional show. He'd have to be in his early 60s by now. I assume it would still be a bad idea to mess with him.

Edited by Gordi the former AEW fan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I have never heard of this Tim Flowers before. Could you give a short run-down of him and his career?

PNW mainstay back to Don Owens. Eventually became a kendo stick wielding Steve Austin knockoff. 

Yet he doesn't have a single match on the Portland '80s set. Yeesh. 

Also, looking that up reminded me why I never finished more than a disc and some extras of it... it's 14 discs long. Man, how many hours is that?

EDIT: Correction, 12 discs. Like that isn't just as bad.

Edited by Curt McGirt

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yet he doesn't have a single match on the Portland '80s set. Yeesh. 

Also, looking that up reminded me why I never finished more than a disc and some extras of it... it's 14 discs long. Man, how many hours is that?

Oddly, steve Simpson is billed from England, not South Africa. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Infinit said:

Tim Flowers hit a top rope pile driver/Diamond Driver on The Frog on an episode of All Star Wrestling that popped me huge when I was a kid.

Here’s something similar.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

PNW mainstay back to Don Owens. Eventually became a kendo stick wielding Steve Austin knockoff. 

Alvarez always tells a story about working on Flowers shows, where he and another guy were stinking up the place and Flowers would run out and just legit cane the shit out of them both.  I can't recall but it sounds like it happened more than once, some real Gong Show type shit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Alvarez always tells a story about working on Flowers shows, where he and another guy were stinking up the place and Flowers would run out and just legit cane the shit out of them both.  I can't recall but it sounds like it happened more than once, some real Gong Show type shit.

Lol pulling an Inoki, minus the kendo stick 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On the subject of Monte Cristo sandwiches: my college’s cafeteria (it was a small school and full meal plan was part of the deal) was generally bland and average to awful (taco night meant 2 hour waits to order pizza delivery) but they killed it when they had Monte Cristo’s. One time I had four of them (I miss my youthful metabolism). Oddly enough, I’ve never had one since graduating in 1993 but will have to fix that soon.

• Like 1

Also, speaking of old chains that you didn’t know still had locations: there is apparently a Roy Rogers at the PA Turnpike service area by Allentown. My wife had never even heard of it. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Also, speaking of old chains that you didn’t know still had locations: there is apparently a Roy Rogers at the PA Turnpike service area by Allentown. My wife had never even heard of it. 

I drove by both a Roy Rogers and a Ruby Tuesday’s today.  Is this some multiverse shit?

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I drove by both a Roy Rogers and a Ruby Tuesday’s today.  Is this some multiverse shit?

I ate at a Ruby Tuesday near the Philly airport back in June since it was right by our hotel, it was actually decent for basic chain restaurant.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I ate at a Ruby Tuesday near the Philly airport back in June since it was right by our hotel, it was actually decent for basic chain restaurant.

I haven’t eaten there since college, I’m estimating maybe 96.  Jesus.  

4 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

The only non Turnpike Roy Rogers I know about is in Hagerstown. And they have Old Bay at their fixings bar

Fellow Marylander here…the Roy’s and Ruby’s are both within a half mile of each other in Frederick!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, zendragon said:

So Jack Perry showed up in NJPW at Battle of the Valley and tore up his AEW contract. Looks like late period Jim Morrison

he looks like a dude trying to steal Hangman Page's look

edit: he should bring in a fake attorney who tells him that ripping his contract totally releases him from the company

Anyways... probably a good idea to just send Jack Perry to Japan to see if he can work things out there if you're not gonna use him in AEW

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 1