DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JANUARY 2024

4 minutes ago, Octopus said:

What if Jericho puts him in a Lion Tamer and makes him sign a NDA. 

Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having read this. I hope you're happy with yourself.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Saying you know people who were hurt by Chris Jericho and his actions is not an opinion. 

Are you arguing with yourself?

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

Everyone in this thread is now dumber for having read this. I hope you're happy with yourself.  

Adding you to the Lion Tamer wishlist

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

As we have said before, corporations, especially in sports, never want to go thru discovery

And that’s what’s so scary about the new tv deal, since WB merged with them.

• Haha 10

10 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

As we have said before, corporations, especially in sports, never want to go thru discovery. 

Shit, what makes you think it would reach discovery seeing as Hausman couldn't stand up to two days worth of scrutiny?

• Like 2

Not that I don't enjoy this discussion but there are rumors of Mercedes Mone and Deonna Purrazzo signing with AEW, possibly very soon. I just hope if they hire more talented female wrestlers that they adjust their time on TV, and don't just bump someone else off TV to make room.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Shit, what makes you think it would reach discovery seeing as Hausman couldn't stand up to two days worth of scrutiny?

Someone mentioned a lawsuit and I said I wouldn't think TK would want that. That's prob true for this situation, as well as all the other stuff from past year or two. 

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Someone mentioned a lawsuit and I said I wouldn't think TK would want that. That's prob true for this situation, as well as all the other stuff from past year or two. 

I don't think anyone is saying that is what Tony wants. Moreover, what makes anyone believe Hausman actually have relevant information regarding this matter that isn't circumstantial? Keep in mind, I doubt discovery would be relevant for everything regarding AEW just stuff pertaining to what's being litigated. 

Overall, I think Hausman was irresponsible with his words even if the podcast is called Rumor and Innuendo, but he's also not responsible for what the rest of Twitter does with his words. Like we can't blame him for dragging Rae into it, that was someone else entirely. I don't think he's lying either, I believe that people have told him things about Chris Jericho I just have no idea whether what he's been told is true

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Keep in mind no one has accused Jericho of sexual assault, not even the tweet that Kylie hearted accused him of that. I think this is one of those things where the story gets changed down the line.

1000%. Just checking to make sure that "she signed an NDA, that's why she didn't say anything" has any legal legs. 

But in my eyes? It's much ado about nothing. 

19 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Not that I don't enjoy this discussion but there are rumors of Mercedes Mone and Deonna Purrazzo signing with AEW, possibly very soon. I just hope if they hire more talented female wrestlers that they adjust their time on TV, and don't just bump someone else off TV to make room.

Give us an all womens show TK. It's going to at least deliver Rampage ratings. That's how you stand out as a challenger brand. Put something ot there that's never been done before. 

1 minute ago, Godfrey said:

Overall, I think Hausman was irresponsible with his words even if the podcast is called Rumor and Innuendo, but he's also not responsible for what the rest of Twitter does with his words.

As a journalist, technically, he is. That's why he is irresponsible. Why do you think folks get deplatformed? Because once you say something enough people hear it, that's the "truth" even if it's gossip. That gossip in turn evolves into an even bigger heap of gossip. Being anonymous affords you certain privileges, but at the same time, no one cares cause you're anonymous. Being known affords you certain privileges like people validating your opinion. 

3 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

I don't think he's lying either, I believe that people have told him things about Chris Jericho I just have no idea whether what he's been told is true

So 100% horseshit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

What has that ever been the case in this company?

2 hours ago, Octopus said:

@Greggulator has made good posts on legal junk and reporting stuff. I’d like your thoughts if he had the willingness and time. @Elsalvajeloco too. 👍

Overall, I feel like I am dumber for watching any of the clip I saw above and my credit score has dropped. 

First, on criminal/civil/NDA stuff. This is all very general. I'm not a lawyer. But I've written about this sort of stuff before. HIGHLY generalized.

A criminal case is when it involves the police and other law enforcement. IE - Someone says they were victimized in a crime. The police investigate. If they feel like there's possibly a crime, then a prosecutor gets involved in a few different ways. Then the prosecutor's office determines the possible charges and etc. A person gets arrested. Court procedures begin. Etc. There are no NDAs with a criminal case. There are, in extremely rare cases, gag orders -- think of it like "if this gets out someone could die" level work. 

A civil case is when someone sues another person. "You did this to me at work" is more along the civil side of things. Suing someone requires you to file a lawsuit in a court of law, and everything becomes public unless a settlement is reached, and then the terms of a settlement are usually kept private. 

But there's a lot of grey area that happens before a civil or even criminal case, and that's where a NDA happens. Like: "I'm a lawyer. My client says you did this. We're planning on suing you or even going to the police" leads to "I'm the lawyer for the person you accused. What would your client need in order to not sue us or go to the police and having all that become public information?" leads to "My client will consider that in exchange for (usually money)" leads to "we'll give you that, as long as your client signs a NDA." The NDA is just a contract between two parties agreeing not to speak about anything in the above, and contracts aren't public information. And a NDA is only as good as how strong a contract is written, and how willing someone is to go after someone who broke a NDA in a lawsuit, because then you might have to disclose publicly what was in the NDA. Nobody is going to jail for breaking a NDA. 

That's just the basics of how it works. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

In terms of the "journalism" involved with this --

Everything that has come out of Hausman's mouth is stupid. Is he a reporter? Is he more like a columnist? I don't know. The most wildly accepted wrestling journalist is Dave Meltzer, and an incredible amount of his output is conjecture and speculation. He does do some actual reporting but a lot of it is him just tossing out the opinions of what other people told him, but he says and writes things in a weird way where it's supposedly factual. It's not straight news reporting, though.

For Hausman -- I literally have no idea what the hell he's doing. "I don't like Chris Jericho." Is this on a personal level or just from not liking his on-air things? I don't know, but either way it's just showing right there it's an agenda at play. Everything else was a lot of backtracking and the usual "things taken out of context" that people say when what they said in public creates an uproar and they realize they look like an idiot and/or got in trouble. It sounds like he passed around rumors he heard third hand and etc. 

In terms of getting sued -- anyone can sue anyone in this country if you can pay the filing fee. People can sue reporters (or, more accurately, the outlet they work for) for making things up -- it's called libel and slander. There's usually a really big burden of proof that someone has to show that they were victimized by libel and slander, and that a reporter went out of his/her way to essentially make things up. 

But what would anyone get from suing that guy? His podcasting equipment and laptop? The lease to his car? The rights to the domain of his website? The only thing that would come from it is a lot of wasted time. 

I think the best part about all of this is that we stop paying attention to Hausman and wait for somewhat a little more serious to report on anything to do with this. And then even take that with a huge grain of salt until an actual reputable news organization reports on it if it gets their attention. 

• Like 5

It never happens like this in the real world: 

“I heard that (NFL QUARTERBACK) has a bunch of NDAs against him and things are going to come out.”

It is:

“NFL Quarterback has been alleged to have done X, according to multiple sources and documentation you can actually trace.”

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

But what would anyone get from suing that guy? His podcasting equipment and laptop? The lease to his car? The rights to the domain of his website? The only thing that would come from it is a lot of wasted time. 

Minimum wage in Illinois just went up $1. Just saying...

These types of "journalists" are really the perfect people to peddle your b.s. The source has $$$ but they're untouchable and there is no organization worth pursuing. It's not like anyone is working for the times. 

Edited by JohnnyJ