DVDVR Message Board

2023-24 NCAAF - GOIN' BOWLING!

Dolfan in NYC

As a neutral party, fun game! A nice mixture of great play and big mistakes which are an entertaining combination. Alabama's play calls at 1st and Goal in OT will be scrutinized but its always easy to critique when something doesn't work.

• Like 2

Was a nice time for Alabama to roll out the bad snap play after trying it a few times in the first half. 

Terrific game full of horrible botches, mostly from Michigan. And the right outcome! 

Gonna need JJ to play better against Texas or Washington. 

I've re-watched the last play a few times and I'm 50% sure it wasn't a run play. I think the low snap brought the QB's momentum forward, plus the one dude off the edge had a straight shot at him due to not being blocked. Either way it was a mess but I think it started with the bad snap, then the unblocked player off the edge it was doomed no matter what the plan was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

meanwhile the Alabama center is a Senior, so he's gonna have one hell of a story when he's coaching high school football in 2 years

I feel for that kid. You one at least one crazy Tide fan is going to make death threats against him and/or his family 

Even when it doesn't work, watching all these downfield passes it feels almost like a different sport than the Rose Bowl.

Fun fact: no matter who wins this game, we are guaranteed to get a rematch of the national title game during the season next year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I've re-watched the last play a few times and I'm 50% sure it wasn't a run play. I think the low snap brought the QB's momentum forward, plus the one dude off the edge had a straight shot at him due to not being blocked. Either way it was a mess but I think it started with the bad snap, then the unblocked player off the edge it was doomed no matter what the plan was.

Looks like it was meant to be an RPO and they would've had the back one on one with a linebacker coming across the field. Oh well, I'll take it 

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Saban confirmed in the presser that it was a called run. And I don’t hate it as an idea. Milroe’s strength isn’t making quick throws into tight coverage, and he’s one of the most devastating runners in the game. Higher percentage play there is keeping it in his hands. And what REALLY sucks is that the replay shows that Bama had the look they wanted to get in the endzone, but the bad snap just blew it up before it had a chance. Obviously, the edge guy blowing up the RT was going to be a problem, but if Milroe gets a good snap, there’s a much greater chance he’s able to avoid it and get left, where the play was designed to go.

Oh well!

Anyway, hey, guys. I’ve been on a self-imposed social media ban since October, but I thought I’d come check in.

The game was exactly the low-scoring, four-quarter war of attrition I expected it to be. I was thinking that 24 points would be enough to win it for somebody, and indeed it was. Fascinating tale of two halves, with each team controlling a half but shooting themselves in the foot enough to keep the other team in it. Once it went to OT, I knew Michigan had it. Bama’s floor and ceiling both go way down once you condense the field and take away the long ball threat.

But pretty much everything about this Bama season was gravy to me after the Auburn game. This team was so bad in September! That they beat Georgia to win the SEC and made it to overtime of a playoff game with a center who cannot play center is absolutely wild stuff. Saban’s greatest coaching job ever. Really enjoyed watching this team get better over the course of the season and massively overachieve.

2 minutes ago, EVA said:

Saban confirmed in the presser that it was a called run. And I don’t hate it as an idea. Milroe’s strength isn’t making quick throws into tight coverage, and he’s one of the most devastating runners in the game. Higher percentage play there is keeping it in his hands. And what REALLY sucks is that the replay shows that Bama had the look they wanted to get in the endzone, but the bad snap just blew it up before it had a chance. Obviously, the edge guy blowing up the RT was going to be a problem, but if Milroe gets a good snap, there’s a much greater chance he’s able to avoid it and get left, where the play was designed to go.

Oh well!

Anyway, hey, guys. I’ve been on a self-imposed social media ban since October, but I thought I’d come check in.

The game was exactly the low-scoring, four-quarter war of attrition I expected it to be. I was thinking that 24 points would be enough to win it for somebody, and indeed it was. Fascinating tale of two halves, with each team controlling a half but shooting themselves in the foot enough to keep the other team in it. Once it went to OT, I knew Michigan had it. Bama’s floor and ceiling both go way down once you condense the field and take away the long ball threat.

But pretty much everything about this Bama season was gravy to me after the Auburn game. This team was so bad in September! That they beat Georgia to win the SEC and made it to overtime of a playoff game with a center who cannot play center is absolutely wild stuff. Saban’s greatest coaching job ever. Really enjoyed watching this team get better over the course of the season and massively overachieve.

Hey man! I missed you this season.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Hey man! I missed you this season.

Appreciate it! I’ve missed talking ball with y’all, too. Believe me, it took a lot of self-discipline to click away every time my muscle memory brought me back here 😅.