DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 10/23 - 10/29/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Finally caught NXT. DVR screwed and made miss 70% of it so i had to wait for it to go up on Peacock.

Roxanne/Kiana was a pretty solid mix of brawling and big moves with the plunder being kept. Thought both women brought some good energy and took some nice punishment. Was surprised to see Kiana rocking such a large bump on her forehead. 

Lexis/Chen went too long but was a decent showcase for King. This is my first time seeing the former BPJ. He has good presentation, decent attitude, and some nice moves. With that said, it still feels like something is missing, but he is to an ok start.

Jordan/Grace was a fun little match. I love all the little reactions and mannerisms Grace shows when she wrestles. She felt like a decent foil to a super athlete in Kelani.

Chase/Duke vs. Tony/Stacks was good though I feel like they have a better match in them. 

Blair/Gigi had some fun stuff and was generally decent. Still didn't quite compare to the last Lights Out match we had with Stratton and Wendy last year. Was glad to see Blair pick up the win. I like Gigi, but as she continues to improve she isn't ready to be winning a feud with someone at Davenport's level. 

Vice/Karmen had some neat stuff, but felt like a step down from Grace/Kelani. I thought Karmen had a better showing than her quarter-final match, but she still seems like the worst wrestler in the tournament. She has some uniqueness to her style but feels like she is still a ways off from fully making it work. Beyond that she feels miscast as face. Vice for most part looked fine here. I think the final with Kelani should go well enough.

Becky/Lyra built into a pretty good match though still a step down from the Becky/Tiffany matches. I dug the frustrations building as the match went on. Thought the finish was well done and came across as being more than luck after what both had already survived.

Fun show overall though probably not the best special they have done this year. Still the title matches and Roxanne/Kiana delivered. I was pleasantly surprised to see Chase U finally win the gold. It was well deserved with how over they have gotten that gimmick the past year or so. I figured it would happen eventually, but I pegged it more for after a potential Dusty Classic win. Was significantly less surprised Lyra beat Becky. I'm not fond Lyra, but she was probably the most sensible choice to dethrone Becky. Lyra lacks personality, but she is good in the ring and has been building momentum with the NXT crowd for months now. I figured she had a good chance though I was hoping they would give Becky more time as champ. Becky's run has probably been the best in the last 2 years despite being so short. She put a lot of attention on both NXT and Raw's divisions while managing some good matches with a variety of opponents. It would have been nice to see that continue until Deadline. 

• Like 1

Something this NXT reminded me was that WWE still likes to lean into these profession or stereotype characters. College (or even high school letterman) jock, Italian mafioso, whatever. It's not as bad as when we had Repo Man but it's never left. I guess it's better than every gimmick being "wrestler who likes to wrestle", but these caracatures are so, so broad.

Edited by Curt McGirt

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Something this NXT reminded me was that WWE still likes to lean into these profession or stereotype characters. College (or even high school letterman) jock, Italian mafioso, whatever. It's not as bad as when we had Repo Man but it's never left. I guess it's better than every gimmick being "wrestler who likes to wrestle", but these caracatures are so, so broad.

Honestly, this is something that happened more because because of the 2.0 rebrand than anything else. There was a noticeable focus on bringing up as many characters as possible. It mostly died when Vince was ousted for the last half of 2022. 

On 10/26/2023 at 10:13 AM, Curt McGirt said:

If you're going to have these broad characters, developmental is the place to do it. You've got business woman and lawyer and pageant queen to round out the other gimmicks too.  

Yeah I know, it's a starter gimmick, you can always switch up, Roman used to be Leekee and Cena used to be the Terminator, yadda yadda. Still some goofy stuff. I'm not sure what kind of modern trends or stereotypes you can make into modern gimmicks though. They've probably already got a live blogger character or... I dunno, what else is popular? There are a lot of junkies, maybe bring back Billy Kidman to try and help out some troubled youth? Please god don't ever let them do a MAGA character...

36 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah I know, it's a starter gimmick, you can always switch up, Roman used to be Leekee and Cena used to be the Terminator, yadda yadda. Still some goofy stuff. I'm not sure what kind of modern trends or stereotypes you can make into modern gimmicks though. They've probably already got a live blogger character or... I dunno, what else is popular? There are a lot of junkies, maybe bring back Billy Kidman to try and help out some troubled youth? Please god don't ever let them do a MAGA character...

Stevie Turner is a streamer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Dutch? 

The contract signing was a good segment to build more hype for Knight. Him entering as Roman raised the title was great.

Santos/Carlito vs. Street Profits was pretty solid. Was kind of so-so on the finish, but it got the job done and helped give more build to Rey/Logan.

Shotzi/Chelsea was decent and more even than expected. Felt kind of weird since I have gotten used to Chelsea getting squashed, but she looked alright here.

Cena's segment with Heyman & Solo was good.

The KO one punch segment was dumb and fun, especially when he leaves to cheerfully tell Noble he did it.

Dragon/Cedric was a good match and nice showcase for both men.

Bianca's promo was fine. Her coming matches with Bayley and Io not really having any extra stakes did make the promo feel just a pinch hollow. Hopefully Bianca ups her aggressiveness in the coming matches.

Knight/Jimmy was good. Continuing to dig Jimmy on his own since he ups his dickishness with the crowd. The post match with Roman's failed attack was another nice boon for Knight.

No blow away great matches, but there four done were pretty enjoyable. Jimmy/Knight and Dragon/Cedric were eaisly the best and worth catching. Surprisingly dug Jimmy/Knight the most. The segments were mostly good. Solid show overall.

• Like 2

On 10/25/2023 at 12:32 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Watched intermittently until Book finally made me switch. The funniest thing I caught was the side Russian leg sweep into the kiddie slide. So silly. 

I'm about halfway through NXT but just wanted to say Shotzi as Pinhead was incredible. Also love those that had costume vibes to their gear even if it was mainly on the women's side.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

would it be a little too realistic to do a Roddy Piper They Live character who insists that his opponents are disguised space aliens that he sees with his sunglasses? (which might veer to QAnon satire that the actual theorists wouldn't get)

Probably not, hell Joe Gacy was a fake "woke" guy initially and that got some blowback until it just evolved into typical wrestling cult guy.

13 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I'm about halfway through NXT but just wanted to say Shotzi as Pinhead was incredible. Also love those that had costume vibes to their gear even if it was mainly on the women's side.

The costumes and gear changes for the women were nice. Loved Shotzi's Pinhead and Edward Scissorhands. Also dug Scarlet's Marie Antoinette. I hope they are back for Night 2. 

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1