DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2023 - WEEK SIX

RIPPA

57 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

to determine the success rate for DPI fishing (as outlined in the NFL rulebook):

X * Y / Z * 100, where Z is the number of times you attempt to fish for DPI, X is the number of different commercials your team's current QB stars in, and Y is the total number of times those commercials run during the game.

your formula doesn't account for factors such as "is your QB in one commercial for a lot of companies or a lot of commercials for one company".

Last play, I don't know if the refs would have called holding if the receiver just bellyflops in reaction to being held.. but it couldn't be any worse than flopping after getting headbutted by a punter (in a different game). One person quotetweeting a clip of that namedropped the Wild Samoans ("Dude flopped like he was taking a headbutt from the Wild Samoans") which is a deeper pull than the usual wrestling reference

Yesterday is the perfect example of why I stopped tormenting myself and staying up to watch late games

A game I had no expectations the Giants to win but despite playing shitty they were in it. And then they fuck up and don't win which would have been enraging

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

So, is the Giants offensive line playing way better, or are a lot of those hits and sacks he took more on Daniel Jones?

It comes across a little memey since Cris Collinsworth said his name 85023569562 times but adding Justin Pugh (back) to the line helps a lot. Plus Evan Neal is capable of pulling his head of out his ass every once in a blue moon

Also - the game plan was different due to Saquon being back.

Andrew Thomas should be back next week and not a moment too soon

14 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Taylor didn't get hit or sacked nearly as often tonight as Jones kept getting though.

Is Taylor... better than Jones...??? Last night sure made a good case for it.

If I were to guess what's happening with Jones I think he's in his own head about the contract. Instead of playing on instincts like last year he's like well they paid me like a top QB I have to play like one. I need to try and find reads and stay in the pocket and hold up to top QB standards. Tyrod played like he knew he'd be fucked up if he took too long to decipher things. He was pretty much pre-determining who was getting it before it was even snapped. Okay Slayton's singled and it's man I'm chucking this one to him, fuck it. And it was working.

Saquon is also excellent in pass blocking generally. So that helped a lot. But last night that line looked border line passable for a pro team for the first time all year. Chicken and the egg there if Jones is causing his own problems. But that's what last night made it seem like.

52 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Is Taylor... better than Jones...??? Last night sure made a good case for it.

If I were to guess what's happening with Jones I think he's in his own head about the contract. Instead of playing on instincts like last year he's like well they paid me like a top QB I have to play like one. I need to try and find reads and stay in the pocket and hold up to top QB standards. Tyrod played like he knew he'd be fucked up if he took too long to decipher things. He was pretty much pre-determining who was getting it before it was even snapped. Okay Slayton's singled and it's man I'm chucking this one to him, fuck it. And it was working.

Saquon is also excellent in pass blocking generally. So that helped a lot. But last night that line looked border line passable for a pro team for the first time all year. Chicken and the egg there if Jones is causing his own problems. But that's what last night made it seem like.

That was Tyrod's ceiling; not losing the game for you, but he can't really win games. He's not gonna score more than 20 at his best. I don't watch the Giants so i don't know whether that's better than Jones. . . 

41 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

That was Tyrod's ceiling; not losing the game for you, but he can't really win games. He's not gonna score more than 20 at his best. I don't watch the Giants so i don't know whether that's better than Jones. . . 

Umm...Tyrod is 26-26-1 as a starter with 60 TDs and 26 INTs.  Daniel Jones is 22-35-1. With 62 TDs and 40 INTs. Taylor makes a surprising $6.9 million,  Jones makes $40 million. Even if they're the same, I'd much rather have Tyrod at his price than Jones at his. Tyrod is good a backup, and probably better than the $40 million starter. Tyrod was a decent bit better as a starter than Jones has ever been,  but people still want to give that bum Daniel Jones a chance to prove he's worth a damn despite all evidence to the contrary.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Umm...Tyrod is 26-26-1 as a starter with 60 TDs and 26 INTs.  Daniel Jones is 22-35-1. With 62 TDs and 40 INTs. Taylor makes a surprising $6.9 million,  Jones makes $40 million. Even if they're the same, I'd much rather have Tyrod at his price than Jones at his. Tyrod is good a backup, and probably better than the $40 million starter. Tyrod was a decent bit better as a starter than Jones has ever been,  but people still want to give that bum Daniel Jones a chance to prove he's worth a damn despite all evidence to the contrary.

I meant skill wise not price wise. Jones is being paid literally INSANE money. . .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

I meant skill wise not price wise. Jones is being paid literally INSANE money. . .

Skill wise, Tyrod was the better starter. He wasn't good,  but he averages more than a touchdown a game every season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kuetsar said:

Yeah, let's not forget how 13-year veteran Tyrod mangled the end of the first half. 

• Like 3

It's a floor vs ceiling thing though. We know Taylor's ceiling isn't very high, and we know that Jones's floor is very low.

But Jones has the bigger arm and is significantly more athletic and the ceiling is potentially a lot higher. It just hasn't worked out that way on the field. But Taylor isn't a guy any team wants as their long term starter.

• Like 2

Lost in all the "that should have been a second DPI!" talk on the final play of Buffalo/NYG is that Andrew Waller got away with hands to the face on the Buffalo defender on the same play.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

It's a floor vs ceiling thing though. We know Taylor's ceiling isn't very high, and we know that Jones's floor is very low.

But Jones has the bigger arm and is significantly more athletic and the ceiling is potentially a lot higher. It just hasn't worked out that way on the field. But Taylor isn't a guy any team wants as their long term starter.

The only reason to believe that Daniel Jones has a higher ceiling than Tyrod Taylor is because you have decided that Daniel Jones has a higher ceiling.   If that's what you believe, fine, but don't act like you didn't just make that shit up.  First, Jones' arm is good not great, he has been clocked at throwing 54 mph, Tyrod has been clocked at 50.  Neither is bad, but neither is anything to write home about, 50 is kind of the good arm threshold. Second, there may be a world where Daniel Jones is a better athlete, but we don't live on it.  Tyrod ran a 4.4 40-yard-dash at the combine, Jones ran a 4.8.  Tyrod is a much better athlete than Daniel Jones.  Tyrod is not a starting caliber quarterback, but he has actually been good in the NFL.  He was pretty successful as a starter, but his biggest problem is that he's super conservative.  Daniel Jones' best attribute as a pro has been as a runner, and he ain't even fast.  They just trust him to run more than they trust him to throw.  His best season was last year, and he was not good.  He was better than the rest of the trash ass seasons he's played, but if your quarterback can't score touchdowns he's kind of useless.  If we were having this conversation after his rookie season where he actually threw 24 touchdowns in 12 games, I can see why someone thinks he has potential.  After 3 straight years of less than a touchdown a game, I don't know why you would even put him on the field.  That's below replacement level, for instance, Andy Dalton threw 18 touchdowns in 14 games last year. 

• Haha 2

Can't wait for Dallas to lose by 4 because of Mike McCarthy, super genius.

Wait, never mind, I forgot the guy on the other side is Brandon "take points off the board like I'm playing '99 Bottles of Beer'" Staley.

Edited by Contentious C

6 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

Jones isn't that great but the skill you can't teach is have your best season the last year of your contract so you force your team to let you walk and start over with a draft pick or retread or overpay you 

Edited by Serious Darius Bagfelt
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Jones isn't that great but the skill you can't teach is have your best season the last year of your contract so you force your team to let you walk and start over with a draft pick or retread or overpay you 

People talk about coming through in the clutch when someone wins a game late, but the real clutch performers are the ones who perform just well enough to look their boss in the eye and say, "Fuck you, pay me."  That is the motherfucking American dream.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1