DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2023 - WEEK FIVE

Dolfan in NYC

12 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Why doesn't the NFL adopt the sensible CFL rule on punts where the receiver gets a 5 yard halo?

I saw a Fair Catch interference penalty in this Chiefs game where the catcher signaled and moved up just enough to get bumped by an approaching defender and draw the flag. It feels like someone could make a niche career out of being the punt return equivalent to the "just throw it and get DPI" plays

It feels like the reputation the Vikings OL had is well deserved because the Chiefs, a defense that occasionally plays under touch football rules, has been surging at Kirk Cousins today.

Also, the Vikings took a DOG penalty on 4th down that could have been prevented by having timeouts.

KC defender puts two hands on Minnesota receiver on 4th down, called for PI. KC defender takes off helmet to argue, which is an automatic penalty. 

Wanna guess how many penalties actually ended up being called on KC? 

If you said any answer other than "0", you clearly have never seen a Mahomes-era KC game. 

p.s. The referees literally told the defender to put his helmet back on instead of throwing the flag. 

Edited by Tabe

Backing up a bit: there is some truth to "you can't run any coverage against a great QB."

The only way you consistently stop great QBs is by getting a consistent pass rush with four defenders. It's how the Giants beat the Pats both times in the Super Bowl, it's how the Bucs beat the Chiefs and Rams beat the Bengals. You need good pass rushers, and hopefully one elite one. Then you need to switch and disguise your coverage behind them so it can confuse the QB long enough to get in his face.

• Like 1

The Vikings were kinda screwed imo, similar to how the Pats were a couple weeks ago. Would he have caught it? No. Does that matter though? No as the league has explained many times. By rule it was PI and by rule it wasn’t uncatchable because it has to be humanly impossible for any human ever made to catch it. 

Romo has been unmotivated as has been discussed before. He isn’t even really watching it sounds like sometimes, because when he is watching he’s great. 

ROFL at Sean Payton. That should go down as a GOAT revenge game but it lost steam since the comments. It’s not even going down as 1 of the biggest accomplishments this week. 

I’ve read that a few places but that’s not the most uncommon play. I think the Lions have ran it a few times under Dan Campbell. 

I think I remember John Lynch saying the first thing he’d do as a 49er was build a top defensive line. People with no GM experience get it…why don’t GMs. 

• Like 1

Man how lucky are the 49ers as a franchise? They give up so much capital for an epic draft bust in Trey Lance, but somehow get totally redeemed with the absolute last pick of a draft in Purdy. He's looked really really solid this year, especially coming off of a Tommy Johns surgery. If they stay healthy I don't know who can beat them.

• Like 2

That touchdown was a harder throw than it looked like. I don’t know how good Purdy really is but he has the footwork, the touch, and the precision, and he has the brains and attitude for it. 

And good for Kittle. He hasn’t been carrying the load this year and I was wondering if he was being phased out or losing a step but he is not.

And are the Cowboys going to have done to them what they did to the Giants and Colts on SNF? That’s the only way they could be more embarrassed than they have been by the 49ers the last 2 times. Shan did say they weren’t letting off the gas!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

There's a ton of the season left, but the Niners damn sure look like the best team so far. That was just utter destruction of a good team.

I agree. The Cowboys are a good team. They just weren’t ready to play ball vs the Cardinals. They knew it too and were mad about it, and they were still mad about losing to the 49ers. So there they were a good team with the added quality of being mad with something to prove, and the 49ers absolutely eviscerated them.

They didn’t do it by a being cute either which you can always just sense is going to backfire. They just plain beat them with CMC and Kittle. The WRs had catches, but not because they were really necessary lol!

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

There's a ton of the season left, but the Niners damn sure look like the best team so far. That was just utter destruction of a good team.

Yeah, there was never really a moment where Dallas looked competitive and then they just gave up. When Dak threw that pick on a long bomb that he just flung up for grabs, it was just a frustration/give up play. 

SF definitely looks like the best team in the NFL right now. I feel like it's them in the top tier, Philly by themselves on the next level and then Detroit, Miami, and KC on the next. 

• Like 1

KC/Miami is probably gonna be a pretty important game for the sake of shaking out who is where on the AFC side (insert grumbling that the Chiefs/Dolphins game is in Germany)

so, a season where it seems like the best teams are in the NFC and then an AFC team wins the Super Bowl anyways?