DVDVR Message Board

October 2023 Wrestling Discussion

24 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

You’d think he would have been inducted in some year before he left the company in 2014. Especially during one of the years in the 1990s when the WWF was inducting their notable road agents into the HOF.

I'd have figured Garea, Goulet and the rest were in already. 

18 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I’ve seen people on the wild who seem to believe this for real. It’s scary out there. 

I’ve seen posts on the angle of the shoulder being similar to David Finley. Lots of overthinking.

19 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It doesn't happen as much now and when it does it's probably because of copyright issues, but when the UFC rejected fighter choices for walkout music, the go-to replacement would be stuff like the RHCP's cover of Higher Ground. It's always something that's a good song, but doesn't fit the fighter at all. It's akin to Ric Flair and Easy Lover.

The narrative of Easy Lover gives the woman in question too much power and agency for Ric’s liking.  

• Haha 4

On 10/28/2023 at 7:08 AM, Log said:

I have a vague idea for an Indy wrestling character who’s a huge hipster and changes his entrance music every show to be ahead of the latest music trends. 

Seems like a huge hipster character would openly hate newer musical trends and only agree to enter to something sung by Morissey. 

• Haha 1

As much as I think it was completely unnecessary, I see the logic behind Rey Mysterio unmasking in WCW. We know deep down it was just to rub the Lucha guys specifically Konnan and Eddie the wrong way. I really don't understand why Bischoff decided to also unmask Psychosis and Juventud. I guess juventud got more of a push in WCW and he a face that you can argue could've been put over more to get him over with the female audience. Psychosis I thought had the most unique look before he was unmasked. He made out the worst after losing he masked and they turned him back heel a year later. If WCW marketed the Luchadores masks then I think Bischoff wouldn't have having been insistent in any of them unmasking and perhaps some of the lesser pushed guys probably would've had to be given more attention based on mask sales. Psychosis really never recovered, atleast in the American scene. Juventud continued to be booked outside of Mexico he just became his own worst enemy.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Rey without a mask looked like a child so if that's your thing... well, he did end up having Dom so somebody had to be into him. 

Newly formed, babyfaced Rock N Roll Express were tail magnets as opposed to early to mid 1990s when they look like two men who broke into a thrift store and decided to put on the shit they stole. Same with early era Midnight Rockers. 20 year old Shawn Michaels looked like he was 15-16 years old. 

Remember Flair used to talk about the RnR Express going after the teeny boppers while Ric was out chasing grown women.

• Like 1

RNR were also created as a counterpoint/ B town alternative to the Fabs. The Fabs were for the older women (and based on some of their fan mail, gay men) and RNR were for the younger girls. (Insert Memphis comments here). 

now. Once they move to Louisiana and then the Carolinas, it’s  all the women and girls. 

• Like 1

If Marty Jannetty in thr WWE HoF? If they have a thought to put him in, they're probably waiting for him to die first. They do not want to give that type of guy a live microphone and an audience.

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

RNR were also created as a counterpoint/ B town alternative to the Fabs. The Fabs were for the older women (and based on some of their fan mail, gay men) and RNR were for the younger girls. (Insert Memphis comments here). 

now. Once they move to Louisiana and then the Carolinas, it’s  all the women and girls. 

This. 

It's funny and incredibly sad the same time that for the win a date with the Rock N Roll Express in Mid South contest, they had to clearly and emphatically state in order to win you have to be of legal age. Somewhere, Grizzly Smith and Sweetan were like, "yeah, we don't need no competition."

Watching some of the Houston stuff that's available, yeah I doubt you're going to see folks in AEW or WWE or TNA now full on make out with non plant fans like Bobby Fulton. 

• Like 1

“Well, Cowboy, if it’s part of my job as the heart throb baby face, I guess I’ll go ahead and kiss all these pretty girls at ringside and then try to have sex with as many of them as I can later and not be late for the next town and get fined $50” 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Remember Flair used to talk about the RnR Express going after the teeny boppers while Ric was out chasing grown women.

I don't know who would fuck that crooked tooth banana nose either! Unless they were trying to gank his Rolex while he was passed out after twelve Kamakazis, though.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

The term for these types of teams used to be "blowjobs."  I wish I could remember the particulars, but I remember a story where two groups of promoters were discussing one of their territories and one said, "your territory is decent, but where are the blowjobs?"  The other promoter was embarrassed, thinking he meant that oral favors were supposed to have been arranged for the visit.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 1